Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is The Glaive Prime Good?

Chickenator__

Question

9 answers to this question

Completely different weapons.

I find Glaive Prime to be the best thrown melee weapon. It is silent, detonates if modded right, deals quite some damage, and is generally perfect for some game styles and missions. However, the Glaive used as a melee weapon has a very short range.

The Orthos Prime has nice damage, nice range, and is better at coptering.

I'd recommand both.

the thrown glaive attack is extremely powerful.  Its silent, hard hitting,  ... it turns your melee weapon into a short ranged sniper rifle of sorts.  With practice you can bounce it behind cover or around corners to wipe out enemy you can't even see.   

The glaive is poorish as an actual melee weapon in my experience.  Its not terrible, but its not the best thing for bashing stuff over the head -- its purpose is to provide you with an alternative ranged weapon.  

I personally prefer the Orthos Prime over the Glaive Prime, for coptering / air slashing manuevariblity. Depends on the enemy you're fighting when it comes to effectiveness. I would recommend both, in time you will have all weapons anyways, just choose the one you think you'd like more.

The Glaive Prime is my weapon of choice for those pesky nullifiers. Aim at the their feet, tenno...

this or the lanka are the only weapons that can consistantly deal with nullifiers safely and easily. But other than the astral twilight stance, the orthos is GENERALLY better.

Attach Power Throw and Quick Return, both of which can be found in about 10 - 30 minutes of Void Survival, and the explosion can easily deal 2x damage to whole groups. That means a properly built Glaive (e.g. Pressure Point, Fury, 90% elemental mod, Life Strike, Power Throw, Quick Return, 60 - 90% elemental mod, 60 - 90% elemental mod) can do 1,000 damage to crowds, making it an excellent choice if you want to take a weapon not good at killing a mob of enemies like a bow (which is amazing for conga lines, less amazing for enemies sitting in conga lines of one). Combine the explosion damage with a damage modifier such as Invisibility (4x), Smoke Screen (4x, which can be shared with a team via Smoke Shadow), Radial Blind (4x - plus another 3x with Radiant Finish) or Sonar (up to 11.5x) and you have a thrown, returning, everlasting nuke.

The one advantage you have with Glaive Prime is that you can aim it when throwing. Therefore, allowing you to easily damage enemies that require precise aiming, such as Lephantis.

But if we're talking killing efficiency, by the time you kill 1 enemy with Glaive, you'll have slain 10-20 with Orthos Prime.

After all, Orthos Prime is the best weapon in the game, when it comes down to mass killing efficiency.

However, it's not a waste to get a Glaive Prime. It's still a good weapon.

I've modded mine with Power Throw, Quick Return and Whirlwind. Allows me to spam-throw it.

PS: Whirlwind also increases the throw distance, not just the flight speed, so make sure you slightly aim it at the ground if you want to spam-throw.