Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Windows 10 Upgrade Prompt

I got a Windows 10 upgrade prompt. I see articles about it online. But I don't see anything official from Microsoft. 

I found this article: 

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

The article mentions a KB article. But the KB article is vague. 

-Snip-

Yeah, I got it too...

http://i.imgur.com/9FOJ6Gq.png

Yech. I'll stick with 7 as long as it's supported.

M$ has this weird checkered history when it comes to "good" and "bad" versions of Windows.

95 was bad, 98 was good, ME was bad, XP was good, Vista was bad, 7 was good, 8 was bad... the pattern would lead me to think 10 will be good, but I'm going to be a late adopter like I've always been.

I'm on 8.1 and haven't recieved it. I'd send the SS to microsoft for confirmation since it seems fishy to me.

Yech. I'll stick with 7 as long as it's supported.

M$ has this weird checkered history when it comes to "good" and "bad" versions of Windows.

95 was bad, 98 was good, ME was bad, XP was good, Vista was bad, 7 was good, 8 was bad... the pattern would lead me to think 10 will be good, but I'm going to be a late adopter like I've always been.

I know right. It's like they do it intentionally.

The Windows 10 Upgrade Prompt is for those who are on Windows 7 and 8(.1).

This prompt is reserving you the upgrade to Windows 10 once it's available (Not a preview build, the final build) (July 29th), should you choose to take it.

By any means you do NOT have to accept this prompt.

(But do note that you only have 1 year (365 days) after it is released for you to get the "Free" upgrade.)

I'm currently on Windows 10 Home Insider Preview build 10130. I received confirmation that I will, in fact, be upgraded to the RTM build of Windows 10 for free, considering I moved from Windows 8.1 > Windows 10 Home Insider Preview (build 10070). I've tested some of the technical preview builds back in October - November and Windows 10 has improved a lot from where it was.

The Windows 10 Upgrade Prompt is for those who are on Windows 7 and 8(.1).

This prompt is reserving you the upgrade to Windows 10 once it's available (Not a preview build, the final build) (July 29th), should you choose to take it.

By any means you do NOT have to accept this prompt.

(But do note that you only have 1 year (365 days) after it is released for you to get the "Free" upgrade.)

I'm currently on Windows 10 Home Insider Preview build 10130. I received confirmation that I will, in fact, be upgraded to the RTM build of Windows 10 for free, considering I moved from Windows 8.1 > Windows 10 Home Insider Preview (build 10070). I've tested some of the technical preview builds back in October - November and Windows 10 has improved a lot from where it was.

One thing I would like to know is if windows are planning to do what they did with 7 to 8 "upgrade". Where they offered a significant discount BUT, it was a one time only thing and if you had to reinstall you had to pay for the OS again, IE no key was given. Because if I chose to get 10, and after the year trial was up, I would want to know if I was getting a key when paying for the continuation.

One thing I would like to know is if windows are planning to do what they did with 7 to 8 "upgrade". Where they offered a significant discount BUT, it was a one time only thing and if you had to reinstall you had to pay for the OS again, IE no key was given. Because if I chose to get 10, and after the year trial was up, I would want to know if I was getting a key when paying for the continuation.

The upgrade to Windows 10 is completely free. No strings attached.

And to clarify, it is not a One-Year Trial, it is a permanent Operating System upgrade, meaning it's yours. Forever.

Quoted from the prompt.

*Yes, free.This limited time upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial.

(Note that they did give you a key for Windows 8 upgrade too, but to access it, you would have needed to either retain the E-Mail that had it, or use Belarc Advisor.)

Edited by SysWOW64

The upgrade to Windows 10 is completely free. No strings attached.

And to clarify, it is not a One-Year Trial, it is a permanent Operating System upgrade, meaning it's yours. Forever.

Quoted from the prompt.

*Yes, free.This limited time upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial.

(Note that they did give you a key for Windows 8 upgrade too, but to access it, you would have needed to either retain the E-Mail that had it, or use Belarc Advisor.)

These websites disagree:

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-free-upgrade-for-the-first-year-1680771504

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/windows-10-free-for-all-windows-8-1-and-windows-7-users-for-first-year/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/01/21/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-one-year/

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/01/21/free-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-first-year-after-release

Edit: Did some more research, and it appears that microsoft has changed what they announced initially, (at least from there website), from free upgrade for one year, to free upgrade once per system within the year. Which is similar to what they did with 8's launch, except 8 was heavily discounted. IE you get to upgrade within that year, but you cannot reinstall 10 for free past that year if anything should happen to require you to reinstall.

I really don't know how to feel about this. I have my 8.1 on disk so I don't have much to lose, but still.

Also like to point out windows 10 will lose many functions of the previous OS:

Windows Media Center

The card game Hearts (not really a biggie).

Windows 7's desktop gadgets.

DVDs will also require "separate playback software."

Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

i gotten the prompt too, also am considering on upgrading from window 7 to windows 10, however worried if i have to redo all the drivers all over again

Starting with Windows 8, Drivers (For the most part) are installed once the operating system is loaded.

(Ex: Computer boots to desktop, then drivers are aquired/installed.)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

Also, you're reading out of context.

Free upgrade for the first year means that if you want to upgrade your Windows 7/8(.1) devices to Windows 10, make sure you do it before July 29th, 2016, or you will have to BUY the upgrade.

Once you claim the upgrade, it is yours. Forever. No Trial. No Shareware. Permanent.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

Free upgrade for the first year means that if you want to upgrade your Windows 7/8(.1) devices to Windows 10, make sure you do it before July 29th, 2016, or you will have to BUY the upgrade.

Once you claim the upgrade, it is yours. Forever. No Trial. No Shareware. Permanent.

Correct.

The upgrade is free within the first year.

Anyone saying otherwise is talking out of their rather large anal cavity.

Actually, that is in fact what was stated originally. In video form in the last one. I have since done some research and updated my post.

Actually, that is in fact what was stated originally. In video form in the last one. I have since done some research and updated my post.

1: Seperate Software for DVD playback. That's what they said about Windows 8 originally (Never needed any other software). Most people use something like VLC for that anyway. Not a big deal.

2: Windows Media Center will be removed. Again, not a big deal considering the Windows 8(.1) core never had Media Center to begin with.

3: Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets: They were lost during the Windows 8 upgrade, replaced by Metro Tiles, so that's just old news.

4: Hearts no longer included: Not really a big deal. Who played Hearts anyway? Solitaire is king.

5: Windows 10 Home users will no longer be able to defer updates: Most people accept the updates as they come along anyway. From experience, most people tend to want updates.

2: Windows Media Center will be removed. Again, not a big deal considering the Windows 8(.1) core never had Media Center to begin with.

That'd better not somehow include Media Player.

Because I use it 24/7.

But I doubt it will, considering it's been in the technical preview the whole time.

1: Seperate Software for DVD playback. That's what they said about Windows 8 originally (Never needed any other software). Most people use something like VLC for that anyway. Not a big deal.

3: Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets: They were lost during the Windows 8 upgrade, replaced by Metro Tiles, so that's just old news.

4: Hearts no longer included: Not really a big deal. Who played Hearts anyway? Solitaire is king.

5: Windows 10 Home users will no longer be able to defer updates: Most people accept the updates as they come along anyway. From experience, most people tend to want updates.

1. Removing DVD playback was just petty, it's not a hard thing to code, they simply want to sell it back to the customers like they did with bluray support with windows 8.

2. Another feature that had no real reason to be removed, once again for micro$oft to try and sell back to the consumer.

3. And the metro tiles are hated by most people. It was never popular on non-touchscreen devices.

4. as I mentioned myself "not really a biggie"

5. I HATE forced updates. I absolutely loathe the idea. I prefer to once a fortnight download and install a batch of updates ONCE. Last thing I want is to shutdown my computer to have it sit there "Installing updates" for 10 minutes or some unreasonable timeframe, as 8.1 does, it's bad design.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

5. I HATE forced updates. I absolutely loathe the idea. I prefer to once a fortnight download and install a batch of updates ONCE. Last thing I want is to shutdown my computer to have it sit there "Installing updates" for 10 minutes or some unreasonable timeframe, as 8.1 does, it's bad design.

You can already stop Windows Update from functioning by disabling its service.

I currently have it dead in my Windows 10 installation until I feel like updating.

You can already stop Windows Update from functioning by disabling its service.

I currently have it dead in my Windows 10 installation until I feel like updating.

Not available in home edition. IE the edition you get if you upgrade via the free upgrade option.

Not available in home edition. IE the edition you get if you upgrade via the free upgrade option.

Huh?

It's not like a setting or anything, you just go into the list of all of Windows's services and disable it.

It's been a thing for as long as I can remember (at least as far back as Vista) and that's not just something they can take out.

It's not something the average consumer would know how to do, despite how simple it is.