Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Switch For Archwing Ambient Sounds

Repligon

I'm generally ok with guns and engines sounds (these are sounds of released gases hitting my hull and postprocessed by archwing software). But every time I hear space whales screams, wind or machinery sounds I have a sudden urge to take my palm away from keyboard and put it on my face.

Please. Give me a switch to turn off ambient sounds in space.

Edited by Repligon

Switch is a bandaid.  Turning off ambient noises will not make it better. 

For space sounds we need this system:

2cWv7KR.png

Note : Spheres have diminish range , solid obstacles block these particles.   THIS SHOULD BE USED ONLY FOR HUGE EXPLOSIONS AND SUCH

So to hear stuff you have to collide with "particles" it creates.

All other sounds and data (Enemy locations and such)  should be provided by UI and VISUAL effects.

So if enemy shoots rockets at you, there is alarm noise.   And 3d radar will tell you where enemies are.

And of course we should still hear our archwing engines and weapons (but these must sound muffled)

I just realised that we already have such spheres ingame.... Nova's ult and arson eximus "fire wave" (Just make different visuals and add sound effect on contact).

So basically explosion will cast this ability. And that sphere will trigger "plink- plink" sound when hit someone who exposed to it.

The only thing DE really have to work at is obstacle detection. Coz now every wave pass right through stuff...Its confusing since waves doesnt deal damage/apply effect behind cover.  You can avoid being knocked down by "fire wave" just by taking cover.

I just wonder why DE dont link Visuals to actual hitbox of those waves... So we could actually see "holes" created in these spheres through collision with obstacles.

• 2 weeks later...

I am all for this, I am also wary at the amount of effort required for it. However I believe that archwing will be played a lot more when J3 comes back, so DE preparing something like this for that fight would be fantastic. In terms of what it would sound like, I am not sure "plink-plink" would quite be the right sound for it but it would be hard saying what would due to the fact that most people haven't been involved with that type of scenario. I also imagine it would be expensive to record that in a vacuum chamber for rather un-important reason. 

No need in Vaq chamber.

Put mic into large plastic canister filled with water and throw some sand and stuff at it.  Put a metal plate in front of that canister to get "metal" impacts...

Btw at very close range (1 -15m) explosions should still be audible...yet muffled. 

• 1 month later...

Personally I think the deal with being able to hear sounds in Arcwing comes from the Warframes having an inboard computer that "generates" sound for the Tenno operator, to help with localization of enemies and objects and making it more familiar to ground combat.

However the idea of sounds being blocked by obstacles seems really great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was playing AW mode alot recently.  Still think it would be much better with less "natural" sounds and more HUD produced sounds. 

Currently its just a mess of various enemy noises and explosions... It waaay better playing muted with a good music.  

Edited by Kainosh