Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All Energy Drain Should Be Temporary

Plorf

Simple as that, no exceptions. This is what I believe.

I posted a rant on general discussion describing why I think energy drain/magnetic proc is a bad mechanic trying to band-aid fix a problem with a sledgehammer, and got mixed replies. And I agree that the problem it's trying to solve is a real one. But here's how I think it should work.

Instead of magnetic procs instantly and permanently draining all your energy, they should simply prevent energy use while active. Increase the duration if you need to, and keep the scrambling/EMP, but the fact that you can lose 450+ (even more in some cases) energy for doing something as simple as running through a door, or getting stunned by an Ancient, is ridiculous and anti-fun. Sure, it keeps you on your toes, but it adds unnecessary frustration to the game in my opinion, and screws over frames that require energy to survive.

Another possible solution is keeping energy drain eximus units, but make it so that they return your energy upon killing them. That way they still are a priority target that demand attention, but don't stack in such an obscene manner. This could work with Magnetic-inflicting enemies in some way as well, as in killing them would revert the magnetic proc (though I find that idea rather clunky). As far as bosses are concerned, the ones that deal Magnetic proc (like Hyenas and Vay Hek) should follow the first rule of being temporary.

Either way, I believe something should be done to make energy drain more interactive and interesting to deal with. After all, I don't believe players should be punished for several parasitic chargers spawning on them, or running through a Grineer door with an obstructed sensor.

Thoughts and opinions?

Edited by Plorf

Kind of makes you not take your energy for granted and forces you to shoot things with your gun. God help us all if we don't have energy.... whatever are we to do without energy.... oh right.... soma

soma? i personally like my quanta and amprex much more. 

leech units should stay how they are, but the effect doesn't stack nor can they gain the damage resistance buff when it comes to the infested. 

i also like the temporary disabled idea for magnetic proc.

i get where you are going op. I feel they should drain a %of your energy, say 60%. You can take the first hit, but the second will be whats screws you. this gives you a chance to react. Im an advocate for something like this, but i do disagree on getting that energy back.

i like the energy interference with the ui, but i feel it is fine as is. and not beong able to use abilities while affected, with the 60% energy loss, should be ample.

perhaps they could drop a guaranteed 25/50 blue orb on death to compensate?

Either pay more attention to doors, or use an Energy Restore if you made a mistake. Because you did. You were not paying attention if you stepped through one. If anything they need to be changed so that enemies don't get damage using them, and also that we can't shoot through but they can.

As far as energy enemies, they should just make energy use higher. If an enemy is producing an "energy dampening field" it should mean that all our energy costs are increased the closer we are to one, even making use of Ultimates impossible if they are sitting right on us.

Either pay more attention to doors, or use an Energy Restore if you made a mistake. Because you did. You were not paying attention if you stepped through one. If anything they need to be changed so that enemies don't get damage using them, and also that we can't shoot through but they can.

As far as energy enemies, they should just make energy use higher. If an enemy is producing an "energy dampening field" it should mean that all our energy costs are increased the closer we are to one, even making use of Ultimates impossible if they are sitting right on us.

+1 makes sense

soma? i personally like my quanta and amprex much more. 

leech units should stay how they are, but the effect doesn't stack nor can they gain the damage resistance buff when it comes to the infested. 

i also like the temporary disabled idea for magnetic proc.

My soma has four forma on it... was considering a fifth for a while, but it doesn't need it. it's my go to weapon whenever I want to shred things and have massive damage. ammo consumption sucks though. Anyway, not the point of the post xD