Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mass Effect... Why Is It Good?

_Fracture8

Vanguard is usually the one I choose but that's just me personally. Also the story is mostly credited for a wonderful story line and attachment to characters. The first games mechanics STINK (so do the romance features, to be honest) but it's all uphill from there :D I'd stick with it and finish the first one rather than load a save data, but that's just my opinion :D

For those saying that ME 3's story and ending was bad and poorly written, I'm not saying they weren't because they were just bad, it's kind of important to know that the writer for ME 1 and ME 2 did not write for ME 3.

This is why the story diverges so much and the ending has absolutely no weight based on your decisions.

There was a whole dark matter story that was being developed in the background events of ME 1 and 2 (most clearly demonstrated during Tali's loyalty mission in ME 2) that never was completed, because EA thought it'd be a good idea to take the lead writer for Mass Effect off that project and have him write for the new Star Wars Old Republic game that's coming out soon.

For those saying that ME 3's story and ending was bad and poorly written, I'm not saying they weren't because they were just bad, it's kind of important to know that the writer for ME 1 and ME 2 did not write for ME 3.

This is why the story diverges so much and the ending has absolutely no weight based on your decisions.

There was a whole dark matter story that was being developed in the background events of ME 1 and 2 (most clearly demonstrated during Tali's loyalty mission in ME 2) that never was completed, because EA thought it'd be a good idea to take the lead writer for Mass Effect off that project and have him write for the new Star Wars Old Republic game that's coming out soon.

When you say EA had the lead writer go write the new Star Wars Old Republic game that's coming out soon, do you mean what is now the the MMO Star Wars The Old Republic?

Might as well throw my opinion out there too... ME1 did not age well. It's like playing Morrowind after Skyrim, or Ghost Recon 1 after playing Warframe.

ME1's combat is unforgiving, simple, and brutal. Loot progression is awesome. Best in series imo. But I also recommend buzzing through it as quick as possible to get to ME2. You shouldn't skip it entirely, because ME1 gets referenced quite a lot in ME2.

ME2. Amazing. I'm fanboy'd out on it. I didn't like having to pick up "heat clips" or whatever, and mining planets for upgrades is a chore, but hey, take the good with the bad.

ME3. Feels like a hokey "Triple A" game. OMG SPLOSIONS, EARTH BOOM'D, CRAZY BAD GUYS, EVERYONE DIES... The opening act? tutorial? first mission? whatever you want to call it... Total junk. I cringed the whole time. Middle of the game is good because you get to use all your fun combat tools. Ending was junk. Believe the others when they say it. The ending is junk. You won't think it will be... They tease you with an awesome ending... Then bam. Junk.

(All Profanity replaced with the word "Junk")

When you say EA had the lead writer go write the new Star Wars Old Republic game that's coming out soon, do you mean what is now the the MMO Star Wars The Old Republic?

Acutally, I'm not entirely sure, all I know is that the guy who wrote for ME 1 and 2 was busy writing for the Old Republic when ME 3 was being developed, hence the break in the story from dark matter/mystery of the mass relays and mass effect technology, to ERMAGHERD, SHEPERD, HARBINGR, REAPERS, LAZERZ, BOOM!, SPLOSIONS.... COLORS. pick your favorite, blue, green, or red :P

Edited by GhostSwordsman