Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Thoughts On Knights Of Sidonia

TheErebus.

It's weird.

Like.

Really weird.

There's a bear woman, parasitic aliens, photosynthesizing humans, INTERSEX HUMANS...

And I actually like it.

I'm reading it here: 

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/sidonia_no_kishi/v01/c001/

Story: I was really confused by the story at first, it seemed as if it started at one point without explaining anything but as the series went on I started to get used to it. It's getting really interesting in chapter 30 and beyond.

Characters: I dislike the main character as he doesn't seem very interesting, but the rest of the characters are well made and have very interesting personalities (Izana best waif- er...well...this is the intersex character). 

Visual Style: I like it, sometimes the mouths look a bit weird but overall it's nice. At first it can be a little be confusing during action scenes (because so much S#&$ happens during these scenes) but you get used to it.

Overall: I like it, it's a nice mecha series that takes itself quite seriously. The humor is clever when it's added and it has the same feeling that AoT used to have with the chance of everyone dying being very viable.

I think it'd be best to read the manga. Well at least for me, because I generally prefer manga versions over anime.

I'm not a big manga guy, I prefer anime. Honestly if I had translated paperback I'd read manga instead, but that's... expensive. EDIT: Reasoning: I don't like manga when I have to click through, scroll around, zoom in and out. I like the experience of the feeling of paper and flipping pages, and going through at whatever rate I feel like without the annoyance of how web versions work.

Edited by Stratego89

Any maneuvers Sidonia makes the whole ship suffers from the brunt of the fictitious forces (not saying these forces are fictional, but rather a consequence of Newton's 1 law and reference frames). That is... something space shows should have.

I'm not a big manga guy, I prefer anime. Honestly if I had translated paperback I'd read manga instead, but that's... expensive. EDIT: Reasoning: I don't like manga when I have to click through, scroll around, zoom in and out. I like the experience of the feeling of paper and flipping pages, and going through at whatever rate I feel like without the annoyance of how web versions work.

Yeah no I agree on the web versions. They aren't very good.

Any maneuvers Sidonia makes the whole ship suffers from the brunt of the fictitious forces (not saying these forces are fictional, but rather a consequence of Newton's 1 law and reference frames). That is... something space shows should have.

If it needs to do a quick maneuver, people will be smashed into the walls

Check put The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell if you're into that kind of things. I am, and i appreciated it immensely..

I only watched the first season of the anime (on a whim, so I didn't even know there was a manga of it).

100% CG animation made non-combat scenes look ugly as donkey balls and stiff as a board, but the combat, the sound effects, and the soundtrack were awesome.  I also automatically favor any story where the protagonist isn't an incompetent schmuck, and can actually hold their own in battle.  Protagonists like that seem so rare nowadays, where the weakling protagonist dominates their respective genres.

I'll download and watch the second season when it finishes airing.  Probably won't read the manga until afterwards.