Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should The Gaming Industry Have Some More Laws? (A Tid Bit More Restriction)

noveltyhero

Hey guys,

Off-topic discussion today. After seeing somebody banned as they claim with no evidence and showing up a support ticket with the response of the accuser being "we cannot show you any logs [or evidence] in the case that you will use this information to avoid being caught next time".

I began to wonder if the gaming industry is a bit too free for its own sake.

Now, take a paying member of the community, did not miss a single prime access, always paid up, shouldn't they have the right to know what the hell they are getting kicked in the teeth for?

So one law I'd consider is, if a person pays for a game or towards the game in any way (i.e micro-transactions), the accuser needs to provide actual solid proof and give the said person a chance at appeal before being denied access to the servers or said game.

What do you guys think on this?

Now, take a paying member of the community, did not miss a single prime access, always paid up, shouldn't they have the right to know what the hell they are getting kicked in the teeth for?

So one law I'd consider is, if a person pays for a game or towards the game in any way (i.e micro-transactions), the accuser needs to provide actual solid proof and give the said person a chance at appeal before being denied access to the servers or said game.

No. That's what would be letting them work out how to avoid being caught next time. That's the point.

Well bans, especially perma bans are not something any gaming company does on a whim and normally you get told why you were banned and what rules you broke, not necessarily going deeper into the mechanics involved. 

Since it is spoken of "so that you can not use it to avoid getting caught next time" I assume it is just a temp ban.

If you are 100% certain you or the person in question did nothing wrong contact a lawyer.

Also do not break the rules and you won´t get banned.

Edited by Hatzeputt

No. That's what would be letting them work out how to avoid being caught next time. That's the point.

But if you got falsely accused, would you not want to know? Because it can happen over any small reason, small oversight, automated system mistakes something for something else

Remember that very carefully worded end user license agreement you signed when you joined any game out there? They all state that the game, your account and even the items you get in game that you spent real money to acquire are legally and solely owned by them.

When you accepted that legally binding agreement you basically waved any claim of ownership. Possession is 9/10's of the law and if they own it they can do anything they want with it.

What you suggest would be some form of regulation on the game industry which would more then likely be the death of it. Bureaucracy is not the answer.

Edited by --Skitz0--

The point is not to ban as many people as possible. The point is to prevent people from doing bad things.

The least people do these,  and the least players are banned, the better.

But if you got falsely accused, would you not want to know? Because it can happen over any small reason, small oversight, automated system mistakes something for something else

Considering the support ticket would have prompted a review of the offence - and that its not in any dev`s interest to stop people from playing - I doubt a clerical error would still be of concern.

We're not a naturally honourable species - if someone knows the boundaries around whatever arena`s desired behaviour - they will dance on the edge of them with abandon, or find another way through. Especially on the internets! C'mon, that is essentially what criminal defence lawyers are paid to do in the actual legal system.  

I see absolutely zero reason why the spending of money should affect anything at all. There are no pure cash for rights as contract exchanges in the game world any more - our legal agreement within this media is all in the EULA. It should be called an End User Rights Waiver, but then we wouldn't click OK so blindly!

We`re all just here for the ride - no matter how much money we throw at the gatekeepers in the process - that does not change. 

I'm not exactly saying I agree with it - but the time for having a serious discussion about our 'rights' as gamers is long past. Somewhere between Day 1 DLC & digitally delivered content - we gave all that up because the damn EULA was in the way of me playing MAH NU GAEMS!!! 

Remember that very carefully worded end user license agreement you signed when you joined any game out there? They all state that the game, your account and even the items you get in game that you spent real money to acquire are legally and solely owned by them.

When you accepted that legally binding agreement you basically waved any claim of ownership. Possession is 9/10's of the law and if they own it they can do anything they want with it.

What you suggest would be some form of regulation on the game industry which would more then likely be the death of it. Bureaucracy is not the answer.

I can see that, its evolution ultimately becomes limited. Maybe thinking of it as the same as the commerce/trading industry isn't the best as gaming is still growing and trying out new things...

No.

Nice comment, completely not at all useless >.>

Anyway, interesting opinions here guys, all I wanted to see ^^