Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If: Stealth Multipliers For Guns

R34LM

Another "what if" from why What If series (have you noticed there was a series of these?). As usual, this is not something I will fully promote adding to the game, just some thoughts that I'd like to share.

Now, we are all aware that melee attacks have a special damage multiplier for unaware enemies, about 400% more damage. I was playing around with the idea of guns also getting this ability.

I started thinking about this when I was doing sniper stealth runs on Ceres with my hushed Vectis. Sometimes the crit AND the multishot just doesn't hit (that's a gripe for another thread). I thought to myself, "gee, it'd be nice if the game had a bonus for hitting unaware enemies with guns, just in case I get that bad role". With the thought train rolling (which has a far less chance to derail than its hype cousin), I came up with a few pros and cons of that very thought.

Pros

1. It does give further incentive to do things the stealthy way. More damage? Sure, why not?

2. This gives single shot weapons that have silenced potential a more definitive place in the game as unstoppable, silent killers (moreso than usual). Auto weapons wouldn't benefit too much, since if the first shot doesn't kill the enemy becomes aware and the bonus is removed. Exceptions apply for auto weapons with a high damage per shot, like our good buddy Porcuprime....boltor prime.

Cons

1. It's not like bows, and Opticor, weren't good enough, plus if you hush a grenade launcher things get reeeaaally interesting. Tonkgod, anyone?

2. Loki/Ash/Excal abuse? Yea, I can see it. Their invisibility/blind forces a temporary unaware state for enemies. Include the above reason and you'll see nerf threads for days.

3. Not too useful for endless missions where the enemy is very well aware of you (points above not included), and the damage potential really can't shine without trying it on level 70 ups. Missions where you start off in stealth doesn't reach above level 35, in most cases.

So, in the end, it wouldn't a good idea to implement it as I had originally proposed. But perhaps something along the lines? What do you guys think?

Feel free to take the idea anywhere you please, as long as it is somewhat on topic.

Edited by R34LM

The problem is that under most circumstances in game the enemy is well aware of you. I think something like this would require a rewrite of the enemy AI to know the AREA you are in but not have a pin point seeking mechanism which would likely cause some issues in defenses and survivals in regards to exploitation.

The issue I have is that there's no point into being stealthy if all enemies die instantly or if the spawning placement isn't poor

Really, the only way this could work is if the spawn placement of some enemies aren't idiotic.

I don't want to go stealthy if I have to face 5 nullifiers next to eachother. Rather just nuke them instead of handling them one by one

If you gain more affinity by doing this, I'm fine. Just not as much as melee kills. That's more tedious

Edited by Jaruis

We actually get stealth multipliers on our firearms if we kill the infested carriers when they're transporting a buddy. Anyway my issue with stealth kills is mostly how much time they take vs how rewarding it is. Maybe add a pounce, scout or stalk stance that multiplies the longer we carefully plan the situation. Kind of like using the codex to mark out all enemies in a room in a specific order then killing the enemies in that order without detection. Grants us a greater boost.

The stealth affinity is nice if we're using a non maxed weapon. Indeed stealth is the way I go for unranked weapons. But its a turnoff to scout if im using a maxed weapon as theres not much gain.

Focus system would add to this. Perhaps your suggestions would be able to build on that.

stealth idea is actually broken, they should fix first the mission itself, and those stealth kill animation i mean they are ugly and repetitive. i wish they could at least play TENCHU on playstation T_T and learn a thing or two