Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any Animators/modelers Here That Find Rigging Fun?

Drunkenbagel

Also why do you find it fun? It's just a bunch of organization right? Eventually I'm going to have to learn it since I would have models that I want to animate. So tell me, how do I make myself learn it without getting confused and falling asleep?

Trust me, proper rigging isnt fun, rather nightmare. Animating rigged character is.

Like with everything, start with something rather basic like stickman, then move to something more complex. You will encounter some problems, but you will learn where to place bones and driver bones.

Depends on which program you use, rigging can be relatively fun once you get the hang of it. And there are various tools available that can help a lot. Last time I built a custom rig from scratch was a looong time ago, since then I've mainly used Epic Games ART (Animation Rigging Toolset) for Maya. I really recommend ART if you have maya since it's free, however I also recommend you at least make a couple of rigs manually.

Also if you use 3ds Max, Youtube has a string of tutorials on "Autodesk 3ds max learning channel", that's where I learned how to rig for the first time. And if you use blender or any other software these should still help since they tell you about all sorts of rigging related stuff.

I like planning stuff and rigging involves some of that, when building a custom rig you have to take into account what sort of animations you are going to be building with it, you can go pretty darn elaborate by just gathering a list of animations and their requirements for pivot points, guides and helpers. It's also not so fun as to compel me to build a custom rig for everything, and for humanoids I just import them to Maya and use ART, as it builds an awesome customizable rig rather fast.

Depends on which program you use, rigging can be relatively fun once you get the hang of it. And there are various tools available that can help a lot. Last time I built a custom rig from scratch was a looong time ago, since then I've mainly used Epic Games ART (Animation Rigging Toolset) for Maya. I really recommend ART if you have maya since it's free, however I also recommend you at least make a couple of rigs manually.

Also if you use 3ds Max, Youtube has a string of tutorials on "Autodesk 3ds max learning channel", that's where I learned how to rig for the first time. And if you use blender or any other software these should still help since they tell you about all sorts of rigging related stuff.

I like planning stuff and rigging involves some of that, when building a custom rig you have to take into account what sort of animations you are going to be building with it, you can go pretty darn elaborate by just gathering a list of animations and their requirements for pivot points, guides and helpers. It's also not so fun as to compel me to build a custom rig for everything, and for humanoids I just import them to Maya and use ART, as it builds an awesome customizable rig rather fast.

I might have to give ART a try then. But I guess making a few rigs myself is unavoidable.