Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can There Be Such A Thing As A Biased Rng?

Impact6

It seems that whenever I have ZERO amount of a certain resource or item. I have less chance of getting it in this game. Similarly, I notice when I have something (for example the rare mod 'guardian') once, it drops more often. 

Experiences?

That's the pattern recognition function of our brains at work. RNG does not have any bias.

RNG has bias when it's weighted RNG like this game uses. It does not use true RNG. Basically the game generates a random number say between 1-100 then compares the results to a table that looks something like this:

If the number is between 1-75 user gets a forma

If the number is between 76-90 user gets a common prime part

If the number is between 91-99 user gets an uncommon prime part

If the number is exactly 100 user gets a rare prime part.

This is not at all random. The drop rate is very much predetermined.

This, basically.

At one point - at least, this is what I've been told - the RNG was even worse, with drops locked to specific random seeds that basically ensured some players would never get specific items. [DE]Glen looked into it and fixed it, or so I've heard, but some of RNG's recent behavior makes me suspect something might have gone at least partly wrong again. Which is to say, if RNG is screwy, it may be a bug.

Here's an old story from Asheron's Call. There used to be something called the "Wi Flag" named after a particular player character who felt cursed. Things would attack him, and he had terrible luck. Other characters felt they were similarly cursed. A group of mobs would ignore others and run for the wi-flagged toon, for instance. This was largely myth/legend. Then one day years later a developer discovered a flaw in the logic. The RNG was ok, but the way the number was used had a bug, and there were indeed cursed characters - it was based on a special instance ID number that was made when your toon was created and never changed. The Wi flag was real. 

So yes, RNGs can be biased, and even the most random of numbers is still only as good as the way a coder uses it.

The longer version: 

http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Wi_Flag