Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe-Specific Weapons

BoompigXD

I will probalbly get some hate for this (ya know because life hates me) but, i think some Warframe-Specific Weapons would be kinda cool. Its just a thought guys calm down

Now there would be somethings to this so i present to THE THINGS DE WOULD DO WITH THIS

-Have the weapon be bought with plat

-Make it super expensive

Now what I WOULD DO WITH THIS

-Make the weapon a BP part

-Would allow the BP part to be bought (With Credits)

-Would have it only take 6 hours (i would do that to everything actually)

-Would make it a special PRIMARY weapon

Example: Rhino would have a Gatling gun

Just a thought guys dont rage.

Why do i bother.... (life still hates me)

Edited by BoompigXD

Life doesn't hate you, just explain your idea more maybe? 

Also cheer up?

Yeah, it could work, maybe just limit it to warframe specific weapon skins? Introduce them like the alternate helmets we have.

Like, gatling gun for gorgon only for Frost/Rhino, lower spin up time and rate of fire but less damage and accuracy.

@OP

I like the idea a lot. Instead of making it super expensive, make it more expensive than most weapons, but upon buying it, every warframe you own gets their own unique gun (and every warframe you get after this).

I don't know why people don't think outside the box, this is a great idea. Implementing the cost though, that will be tricky!

Y'know, I was thinking of some sort of "weapon affinity for each Warframe" as well. But aside from Excalibur's liking for swords I can't think of anything that makes sense really, so I ditched the idea and moved on.

But if you can actually succeed where I failed, I'd be happy (and even contribute if I come up with a suggestion).

Well I dunno, warframe specific weapons would be fine, if they're JUST sidegrades of existing weapons, you aren't locked into using them and there is some innate, but not unbalancing benefit to using them. Perhaps a passive boost to certain abilities, ie Excalibur's signature sword giving mild damage boost to slash-dash

It might work for supporty roles, if some frames (trinity, loki etc.) had utility primaries instead of damage based ones. Something like being able to chain several enemies together so they can't move too far apart.

shoot target 1 -> shoot ground -> chain attaches him to the ground

shoot target 1 -> shoot target 2 -> chain attaches those two targets

shoot wall -> shoot parallel wall -> tripwire

That way if your team set up needs more damage you can just swap to damage weapons before you start a map, or something like that.

edit: my point being that I don't think damage based class specific weapons are a good idea because it could force people to use that weapon exclusively instead of using the right weapon for the right enemy.

Edited by AliasailA

What I like about this idea is that it would allow players to choose to become a role, but didn't force them.

You could have a team of 4 soloists, or you could all choose to fulfill a certain role in a party.

Why would a weapon be frame-specific? That's what abilities are- frame specific attacks. More abilities so that we didn't all use the same 4 abilities per frame would be nice, but weapons?

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

What is the problem with offering a frame specific weapon. It doesn't force anyone to do anything if it is designed well and doesn't take the place of something else.

What is the problem with offering a frame specific weapon. It doesn't force anyone to do anything if it is designed well and doesn't take the place of something else.

Why should it be frame specific though? It's one thing for a weapon to go well with a frame's style (banshee + paris for example), but forcing it to only go with a frame seems hard to justify.

Lots of cool ideas in this thread. I really like the idea of not damage based weapons. Also I like the idea of a skin model for the weapons like the helmets. However would definitely need to be careful to avoid the weapon/frame coupling by making tradeoffs.

Hm. Weapon skins specific to only some warframes or to all of them?

With that, DE can add in more revenue by adding in more cosmetic options for weapons via alerts or cheap parts like sentinel parts.

Why should it be frame specific though? It's one thing for a weapon to go well with a frame's style (banshee + paris for example), but forcing it to only go with a frame seems hard to justify.

If it was a weapon that had a synergy with the frame, was back up by the lore, effected the abilities, and/or what to be used by the role the frame is obviously built for then I see no problem. I was trying to imply that this game focuses too much on DPS and absolutely no strategy. If the weapons/tools were designed to allow the players to change their strategy but were never required, there shouldn't be a problem.

Right now, I see DE not wanting to focus and keep the frames in a role and that could work, but right now it isn't. The frame specific weapons shouldn't hamper a team's ability to deal with most threats and should allow them more choice in how they want to proceed with any mission or scenario.

If it was a weapon that had a synergy with the frame, was back up by the lore, effected the abilities, and/or what to be used by the role the frame is obviously built for then I see no problem. I was trying to imply that this game focuses too much on DPS and absolutely no strategy. If the weapons/tools were designed to allow the players to change their strategy but were never required, there shouldn't be a problem.

Right now, I see DE not wanting to focus and keep the frames in a role and that could work, but right now it isn't. The frame specific weapons shouldn't hamper a team's ability to deal with most threats and should allow them more choice in how they want to proceed with any mission or scenario.

This game does focus too much on dps, which is a pitfall most games fall into. However, I still don't see the reason to force usage of a weapon with a frame.

If it was built into the frame, using it would be an ability. Excalibur's slash dash is basically a charged melee attack, for example. Or frost/ember/volt's first abilities- fire a projectile of the respective elements.

If it wasn't built into the frame, why would another frame not be able to use it? Loki, the stealthy/invisible class is capable of using the gorgon, effectively a minigun mechanics-wise. Rhino, a heavy tank frame, is capable of using the paris, a silent bow designed for stealth. 

This game does focus too much on dps, which is a pitfall most games fall into. However, I still don't see the reason to force usage of a weapon with a frame.

If it was built into the frame, using it would be an ability. Excalibur's slash dash is basically a charged melee attack, for example. Or frost/ember/volt's first abilities- fire a projectile of the respective elements.

If it wasn't built into the frame, why would another frame not be able to use it? Loki, the stealthy/invisible class is capable of using the gorgon, effectively a minigun mechanics-wise. Rhino, a heavy tank frame, is capable of using the paris, a silent bow designed for stealth.

The other frames wouldn't benefit from the weapon, and therefor it wouldn't help them to use it. I'm talking about a weapon/tool that is used to enhance what is already there. Maybe it would be better if it took something away.

For example, giving Rhino a Gatling-gun that takes away either his melee weapon or his secondary. This would allow him more crowd control as well as higher damage, but he would need teammates and not be able to deal with enemies at a closer range, but his durability and survivability would help. This would be Rhino specific only because it could amplify Iron Skin. There would be other Rhino specific weapons so that the Rhino users aren't forced(as false of a term as that is) to use it. There would be given a choice and it wouldn't reward them more than appropriate nor punish them.,

Why should it be frame specific though? ...

It would add uniqueness to frames. It doesn't need to be frame specific, but then balancing new weapons for all frames would be harder and restrict what could potentially be created for a specific frame. For example, a weapon is balanced with Loki's abilities in mind, it can react to his decoy in some way (make it explode or something), or even let you control or set a direction of travel for your decoy. That's maybe a bad example, but you will get the idea just the same. Just playing the devil's advocate.

It would add uniqueness to frames. It doesn't need to be frame specific, but then balancing new weapons for all frames would be harder and restrict what could potentially be created for a specific frame. For example, a weapon is balanced with Loki's abilities in mind, it can react to his decoy in some way (make it explode or something), or even let you control or set a direction of travel for your decoy. That's maybe a bad example, but you will get the idea just the same. Just playing the devil's advocate.

But then what are aesthetics, varying stats, and abilities for? 

I'd think balancing would be harder, especially if you try to justify why only a certain frame could use it. If it would be overpowered in the hands of another frame because of how their abilities work, then you have problems of one guy using the weapon and the other using the OP combination frame. Although yes, this could add some teamwork, it feels like it would in a very artificial way with preset combinations instead of allowing emergent gameplay.

Why is OP a problem within a COOP game? You're all on the same side, and if designed correctly neither would be "better" than the other. That is also something to address though in another topic. The specific weapons wouldn't be used just to get more DPS, but to allow for more strategy to take place.

There wouldn't be an OP combination, even thought that doesn't exist if the ENEMIES are balance against each other. Those enemies would be the players and the computer. They have already said that they are going to balance for PvE not PvP.

Edit:

This wouldn't stop emergent gameplay so much as give it another avenue.

Edited by Aizeol

I would say that perhaps a weapon gains a bonus if the affinity of the weapon is that of the Warframe. It would be a new mark on the item and warframe.

Say Paris has "Io" and Banshee is also "Io" as an Affinity Mark. If weapons match thier warframes they gain a bonus. Perhaps the weapon can be used in conjuntion with powers,

Banshee for example could fire Sonic Boom on an arrow (Sound Quake would be a bit OP on an Arrow).