Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Extraction Feels More Like A Chore Than Anything Else

Typical mission scenario

Ok, you just killed off 100 grineer on an extermination run on maybe sedna.

Now its time for extraction.

The squad goes to extraction. 

That's it. Its over. 

What's wrong with this scenario?

After the 100 grineer are dead or whatever objective is completed, the game turns into

"get to extraction the mission is over." 

It doesn't feel very exciting or climatic. 

It feels like a chore. The mission is already done. There is nothing left to do except leave. You aren't getting anything extra by leaving.

Example from mass effect 3:

Skip to 36:20

Notice how, even though the objectives have been completed and whatever, there still lies a very large task: GTFO alive, which isn't easy. For 2 minutes the game sends the strongest units in the game to kill you. Meanwhile, the music becomes much more frantic and intense, which makes the situation much more chaotic and climatic. Each mission feels a lot more meaningful, instead of some typical run-of-the mill chore. 

In warframe, each time i finish a mission, I say "phew glad that's over. Going to play tf2 now" When i should be saying "holy sht we almost died. Oh wait someone did die.  "

I feel like this difference is part of what makes warframe a "casual grumble and grind idle farmfest" compared to ME3 multiplayer, which is an extremely fast-paced action packed challenge.

So here's what we do: Once a mission's objective has been completed and its time to go to extraction, the players get a certain amount of time to get to extraction. Once this timer starts, the game sends A MASSIVE quantity of enemies to hunt down and kill the tenno(because, well, the faction is rather angry that the tenno managed to succeed once again.) If you are at extraction by the time the timer reaches zero, congrats you survived(player gets bonus credits?). If you didn't make it, you get punished somehow(no bonus credits for you).

If you manage to complete the mission without setting off any alarms, you get to extract immediately and no super horde of enemies comes after you.

Example: Hive mission
The squad just destroyed the last hive. Now that all hives are dead, the infested get pi$$ed and send something along the lines of :

50 chargers
60 runners
30 volatile runners
10 brood mothers
15 boilers
(no moas or ancients, that would get very annoying very quickly)
Oh and 2 juggernauts.

You have 2 minutes before ordis gets to the LZ. This is the part where everyone sprints for the LZ. With 1 minute remaining, the squad needs to face the horde of infested charging at them. Squadmates start going down, and just when all hope is lost, the liset arrives and only 2 ppl make it out.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Edit: Not sure how this would work for endless missions
Edit 2 : TLDR: 

Edited by 420degreequicksopeswag

well... imagine these rocket launchers from ME3? endless amount. How hard extraction then? not really that hard now.

So in WF we have... let say Miasma to nuke entire area (for 25 energy). Or Mesa to kill mobs asap.... well you get the idea right?

p.s. it's like we are playing different games. for me Warframe is to run from point A to point B pushing one buttton. In my case - 4, because i main saryn.

Edited by LeshJaeThiHah

@420degree

imagine

can you even read?

what i wanted to say is, we have 200 energy restores in our gear and powers to level entire levels with single use. so no, no skill play in Warframe. so i draw a parallel between rockets of ME3 and ultimates of some frames, because both rockets and ultimates can clear level with one click or push.

In Me3 we had a limited amount of rockets per mission, when in WF we have unlimited energy. And as i mention i can miasma all day long. One blue orb - one miasma, one miasma - one cleared room.

So no, no skill - only grind and P42W.

Edited by LeshJaeThiHah

When I only heard about, that the ME will receive a multiplayer, I didn't expect that it will be so great... ME3 multiplayer is still so much superior over Warframe (even if looking without single)...

I think, there need some changes for extractions from survivals, defenses and interceptions missions, oh, and excavations.

Edited by ZoMbi656

@420degree

can you even read?

what i wanted to say is, we have 200 energy restores in our gear and powers to level entire levels with single use. so no, no skill play in Warframe. so i draw a parallel between rockets of ME3 and ultimates of some frames, because both rockets and ultimates can clear level with one click or push.

In Me3 we had a limited amount of rockets per mission, when in WF we have unlimited energy. And as i mention i can miasma all day long. One blue orb - one miasma, one miasma - one cleared room.

So no, no skill - only grind and P42W.

This is part of a larger problem, of energy usage, 4 spammage, scaling, mods, and unbalanced mechanics.

Sigh

So the solution would be to use nullifiers? Or send 1000X the normal amount of enemies? 

nullifiers are bad design choice. because they should cure a symptom of a problem. and this symptom is the fact that powers of the frames provide too much of an edge for players. making gameplay simply boring.

problem is the game mechanics. they way how we can mod our frames and weapons. 25 energy for a nuke, just think of it. or Mesa's 4 with constant 50m range no matter what. or hard cc powers.

I don't do raid - because of the cc galore. you don't even have to kill anybody except for Hek and these carriers on the last stage of the mission... absurd.

Anyway. Your request for making WF a better game gameplay wise, is not the first and it's not gonna be the last. But truth is, DE still don't do any type of work on this field at all. Melee 2.0 and Damage 2.0 failed simply because of the fact that core mechanics of the game hasn't changed at all. So DE can't or won't make WF a better game. Instead - here is your new PA, grind it please on the same locations, against same mobs for two years, over and over and over again. ah yes - and you level your weapons on the same spots against same mobs.

And keep in mind - art, graphics, sounds, pace of the WF are great. However gameplay itself is lacking. And i see no work done on this field, my brother who is a founder - quit the game - because of that.

p.s. ME3MP being a optional game mode for a single player game. Still, after all these years, provide better experience for solo or coop than a Warframe game as stand alone, mp only, pve product. And this is not only opinion of me and my brother, it is also opinion of some real veterans of the game and some DC members.

p.p.s. Take a look on how DE are trying to limit our damage output. Damage cap mechanics, invulnerability phases. But my question is - why we are allowed to make frames and weapons so powerful, so developer is forced to use damage cap and invuls in order to make "new content" last longer than a few seconds.

Edited by LeshJaeThiHah