Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making Games More "accessible"

TheErebus.

Who here remembers Dead Space 3?

Well, during its development here's what the president of EA had to say:

"We tried to open up the accessibility of the [franchise] a little bit by adding a little bit more action, but not undermining the horror."

And as we all know, the game ended up being almost 0 horror and 100% action. 

Well, the same thing is happening to Lords of the Fallen 2, with the producer saying that they are going to be making the second game more "appealing" to a wider audience. Now when developers say this, usually they take away the part of a game that essentially makes the game what it is (such as the horror aspect from Dead Space 3) in favor of a different aspect to the game that makes it more appealing to a wider audience (the emphasis on combat in Dead Space 3). 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/lords-of-the-fallen-2-loses-producer-changes-direc/1100-6429143/

The only reason why devs do this is for more money. They do this so that the relatively small audience of the original game isn't the only audience for the game. Instead, you add in something that everyone can "enjoy". But then what happens is that you end up alienating the fans of the original game because now what they loved about it is gone and at times, this can backfire on the developer (the case of Dead Space 3 and Resident Evil being the prime example for this).

So whenever a dev says:

"We're going to make the game more accessible"

Be afraid, because chances are the game that's gonna come out, wont be the same game you once loved. 

They said the same about Dark Souls 2. They did alright with it I reckon, not perfectly, and certainly not as interesting as the first 1, but not as badly as everyone was making out.

Lords of the Fallen just seemed to be a bad rip off of DS, I got so bored I uninstalled it before completing it. For that reason I think abit more accessibility for the second one is a good idea. 

They said the same about Dark Souls 2. They did alright with it I reckon, not perfectly, and certainly not as interesting as the first 1, but not as badly as everyone was making out.

Actually, when they said that they were making DkS2 accessible, I knew exactly what they were doing.

It wasn't the level design, it was instead certain gameplay choices. Such as your equipment being repaired by resting at a bonfire to being to warp from any bonfire from the beginning of the game.

Who here remembers Dead Space 3?

Well, during its development here's what the president of EA had to say:

"We tried to open up the accessibility of the [franchise] a little bit by adding a little bit more action, but not undermining the horror."

And as we all know, the game ended up being almost 0 horror and 100% action. 

-snip-

So whenever a dev says:

"We're going to make the game more accessible"

Be afraid, because chances are the game that's gonna come out, wont be the same game you once loved. 

Dead space 3 was 60% action 40% jumpscares.

Also isn't lords of the fallen just a terrible clone of Dark souls? that's what I keep hearing, it doesn't sound like they could make it any worse. But hey, like the boss of Square Enix says: "It takes 3 games to judge an IP"

Tomb Raider reboot was 100% action and 0% survival. Rise of the Tomb Raider is supposed to have survival as a thing, making fires n stuff to keep warm. So that'll probably be like 2-3% survival, and then action. And a whole lot of defying physics. 

Were any of the Tomb raiders survival based? none of the ones I played were.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

Were any of the Tomb raiders survival based? none of the ones I played were.

I've only played the 2013 reboot. When you complete the game you get the tag-line 'A Survivor Is Born'. If you haven't played it, TL;DR version: Ship crashes. Crazy island people are bad guys, they are led by Russians, Russians are led by a crazy guy with a whack voice, you kill all of them. All the meanwhile you do stuff to survive (by that I mean, you kill a dear for food once, and cauterize a wound. and make a few campfires.) I have no idea the plot of any of the other TR games. So I'm also not sure if Lara Croft being a semi-sociopathic killer is... Normal.

I've only played the 2013 reboot. When you complete the game you get the tag-line 'A Survivor Is Born'. If you haven't played it, TL;DR version: Ship crashes. Crazy island people are bad guys, they are led by Russians, Russians are led by a crazy guy with a whack voice, you kill all of them. All the meanwhile you do stuff to survive (by that I mean, you kill a dear for food once, and cauterize a wound. and make a few campfires.) I have no idea the plot of any of the other TR games. So I'm also not sure if Lara Croft being a semi-sociopathic killer is... Normal.

All the tomb raider games I've played involved puzzles, killing exotic animals, occasionally killing bandits, and that's pretty much it.

All the tomb raider games I've played involved puzzles, killing exotic animals, occasionally killing bandits, and that's pretty much it.

This Tomb Raider (and very likely definitely Rise) You kill people, bad people, lots of bad people, and you take them out like a boss. Very much like Far Cry 3's... Evolution. Lara goes from innocent college grad on her first big expedition, to Navy SEAL-level killer in all of 5 minutes. Probably spoiled the franchise for me, if I play any previous ones, I'd likely get a very different outcome than what I expect. But this Lara is frikn awesome. Like I wouldn't mind a spin-off where she enlists in the SAS xD

Dead space 3 was 60% action 40% jumpscares.

Jumpscares that could only scare a baby. Hence why I say the horror is practically gone from that game.

Also isn't lords of the fallen just a terrible clone of Dark souls? that's what I keep hearing, it doesn't sound like they could make it any worse. But hey, like the boss of Square Enix says: "It takes 3 games to judge an IP"

While it is a terrible clone (believe me, if you hate the Souls series you are going to despise Lords of the Fallen). But that's not the point, the point here is how developers take away what makes a game so that a broader range of people will get into like. Like if they sacrifice the stealth aspect for Splinter Cell for a TPS shooter. You're taking away what made the game in the first place.