Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Windows 10. Directx 12. Smoother Performance.

ElectrikDynomyte

Windows 10 was shipped with DirectX12, so I believe that everyone that has updated to Windows 10 so far has DirectX 12 installed. Warframe currently runs DirectX 10/11. I believe that as soon as Warframe gets support for DirectX12 the game will have smoother performance on pcs with and without Nvidia Geoforce.

- Just a thought. My main purpose is to increase awareness,

Also, Windows 10 unites Xbox games and PC, enabling Xbox games to be able to be played on laptops running Windows 10. So will the Xbox version of Warframe be able to be played on PC as well?

I'm just going to answer that last question there; that's a flat-out no. Xbox updates have to go through lengthy tedious processes to update in which they don't get weekly consistent updates, or even hotfixes like we do, and DE has stated that they'd never hold the PC updates back for consoles. This is literally never happening due to Microsoft.

Edit; As for Windows 10, I'm still waiting for my update to come..

Edited by WingedCrusade

I'm just going to answer that last question there; that's a flat-out no. Xbox updates have to go through lengthy tedious processes to update in which they don't get weekly consistent updates, or even hotfixes like we do, and DE has stated that they'd never hold the PC updates back for consoles. This is literally never happening due to Microsoft.

You misunderstood the question he asked, He isnt asking for cross platform play DE said wouldnt happen. Micrososft has said that xbox one games can be played on windows 10, I'm assuming through emulation(if not then it just works). I think OP is asking if this feature will be available for the xbox version of warframe.

You misunderstood the question he asked, He isnt asking for cross platform play DE said wouldnt happen. Micrososft has said that xbox one games can be played on windows 10, I'm assuming through emulation(if not then it just works). I think OP is asking if this feature will be available for the xbox version of warframe.

Wh... Why would- What point would this have? Just play the PC version..

No, actually, it would probably be able to and will. Since they only streaming it out from your Xbox (yeah, you still have to have an xbox), not exactly running it on laptop.

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/im-playing-xbox-on-windows-10-and-you-can-too-1721208031

I'm gonna presumed that you actually misread the question as "cross-play".

Naah, it's just streaming, not exactly emulating or anything else like that. :(

Wh... Why would- What point would this have? Just play the PC version..

Maybe because progress difference? His Xbox account prbably has gone so far, that started it all over again from scratch on PC would be just devasatating.

No, actually, it would probably be able to and will. Since they only streaming it out from your Xbox (yeah, you still have to have an xbox), not exactly running it on laptop.

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/im-playing-xbox-on-windows-10-and-you-can-too-1721208031

I'm gonna presumed that you actually misread the question as "cross-play".

Naah, it's just streaming, not exactly emulating or anything else like that. :(

Nah, I definitely misread it. I'm still waking up so my head isn't exactly 'up-to-date' with my eyes quite yet.

Maybe because progress difference? His Xbox account prbably has gone so far, that started it all over again from scratch on PC would be just devasatating.

Yeah but you're still playing xbox version regardless. The only difference is a keyboard and mouse, unless that's what you want it for(?)

Nah, I definitely misread it. I'm still waking up so my head isn't exactly 'up-to-date' with my eyes quite yet.

Yeah but you're still playing xbox version regardless. The only difference is a keyboard and mouse, unless that's what you want it for(?)

Drink some fresh water, that helps a lot (at least for me).

Lol, I don't know, maybe just for the feeling? That, or he really needs that streaming feature badly for another reason.

Drink some fresh water, that helps a lot (at least for me).

Lol, I don't know, maybe just for the feeling? That, or he really needs that streaming feature badly for another reason.

Yeah, alright I'll accept that, it makes sense enough.

Also, I have a gigantic glass of it already next to me.

DirectX 12 is fundamentally different than any DirectX before it.  I highly doubt that any complex game will update from 11 to 12.

The primary addition DirectX 12 gives developers is the ability to submit multiple command lists in parallel.  This addition means that a render context is not bound to a single thread and that, essentially, every same-process thread can submit work to the graphics card.

Games/Engines architected before the idea of command lists all revolve around worker threads submitting objects of "work" to a serializer thread so that it can be rendered.  This serializer thread is almost always the bottleneck when it comes to programming for modern graphics hardware.  Moving away from the serializer thread approach is a lot more than changing from DirectX 9 to 11 (which can be emulated by the shift of a flag when the graphics context is acquired).  The flag shift give DirectX 11 performance with DirectX 9 calls.  To my knowledge, no such feature exists in DirectX 12 because of the requirement to manually manage graphics memory (which was formerly the big difference between graphics drivers).

DirectX 12 is fundamentally different than any DirectX before it.  I highly doubt that any complex game will update from 11 to 12.

The primary addition DirectX 12 gives developers is the ability to submit multiple command lists in parallel.  This addition means that a render context is not bound to a single thread and that, essentially, every same-process thread can submit work to the graphics card.

Games/Engines architected before the idea of command lists all revolve around worker threads submitting objects of "work" to a serializer thread so that it can be rendered.  This serializer thread is almost always the bottleneck when it comes to programming for modern graphics hardware.  Moving away from the serializer thread approach is a lot more than changing from DirectX 9 to 11 (which can be emulated by the shift of a flag when the graphics context is acquired).  The flag shift give DirectX 11 performance with DirectX 9 calls.  To my knowledge, no such feature exists in DirectX 12 because of the requirement to manually manage graphics memory (which was formerly the big difference between graphics drivers).

To give a simple example, it took approximately a year to move Shadow Warrior from DX10 to DX11.