Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Rework For Blocking

StonedMakak

With the removal of stamina, the blocking has been changed to block a percentage of the damage, which I find to be a shortsighted decision. That's because the system didn't change at all. 

Think about this. With stamina, we had three bars: green (stamina), blue (shields) and red (health). And in that order they were depleted as you blocked damage. Now there are only two left, so damage goes directly to your shields and health. In consequence, Shields act as blocking stamina in lower-to-mid levels, while in high-level content we lost that short grace period stamina provided, because the amount of damage enemies can inflict makes blocking completely useless anyway. In fact, if DE left stamina for blocking only, it would be an overall buff, as stamina wouldn't be depleted by attacking or jumping etc. Oh, and theoretically you can spend your energy for 100% damage reduction (DR), but no sane person would do that anyway. 

Considering that for some reason DE doesn't want an infinite 100% blocking , I'd suggest bringing back a reworked version of stamina that is exclusively for blocking in form of poise system.

This is how it would work: Poise allows for 100% DR. It regenerates slowly on its own, and the speed of regeneration can be quickened by two things - attacking with a weapon and combo counter. Lighter weapons allow for faster regen and the combo counter component is self-explanatory. Now, the speed at which it drains as you block also depends on weapon type (the heavier, the better, shields drain the slowest) and provides additional bonuses as you go on defense. Namely, as you poise goes down, you gain knockdown/stagger/CC resistance and bonus time on you next combo counter. Those last for about 5-6 seconds after you drop the block.

The result would be a system that reinforces the high-risk, high reward playstyle of melee - by being aggressive you charge your block so you can avoid damage longer, and the longer you stay on the offensive the greater will be the bonuses when you finally go on defense. And in turn, those bonuses will aid you in the next assault. It would create a loop of constant switching of blocking and attacking, allowing each player to strike their own balance between the two. Surely better than the current stacking health and using an unranked life strike to survive.

OR, just end this silliness, keep the damage reduction in PvP and bring back the old blocking to PvE, sans stamina of course. 

Edited by tisdfogg

Considering that for some reason DE doesn't want an infinite 100% blocking 

I think they could just put the stamina bar back and it only effects blocking and call it the block bar. Maybe even add some effect when it depletes idk

If there was infinite 100% blocking though id just use the 96% reflect damage mod and park in a corner of survival with a rock on my mouse and go watch netflix.

I think they could just put the stamina bar back and it only effects blocking and call it the block bar. Maybe even add some effect when it depletes idk

If there was infinite 100% blocking though id just use the 96% reflect damage mod and park in a corner of survival with a rock on my mouse and go watch netflix.

Annnnnd you die after 5 mins. Who collects LS drops? Who activates the capsules? What happens when Bombard comes along and shoots you in the face? Blocking does nothing against AoE. You didn't think this through and neither did DE.  

OP, you mean a system like in Dark Souls (Havel shield <3)? I'm not sure it's compatible with this kind of fast paced gameplay though.

The current blocking system isn't so bad imho, maybe it just needs some further testing. I assume the larger the weapon the higher the damage reduction.

How does it work with Sword & Shield types? I suppose it's the highest % reduction, right?

Annnnnd you die after 5 mins. Who collects LS drops? Who activates the capsules? What happens when Bombard comes along and shoots you in the face? Blocking does nothing against AoE. You didn't think this through and neither did DE.  

Zephyr turbulence for bombards. Carrier/Chesa( when fixed ) for drops. 

WE WILL WORK HARD TO BE LAZY 

How does it work with Sword & Shield types? I suppose it's the highest % reduction, right?

I believe someone somewhere mentioned that it has less than stellar reduction. Don't take my word for it though; I don't own a sword and board XP

add  1.3 sec 100%  block at the begining of the block and we are good to go  (will reward ppl who activate block with the right

timing)

also make it so chaneling + block  deplete enrgy over the time ,   'not a % of damage" it nulify the whole idea

Edited by Tsoe