The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Ideas To Improve Ember

RevenantPhoenix

I've been playing Ember a lot recently and I've had some ideas that could potentially improve her design. Please note that I don't play PVP, so these suggestions don't take that mode into account at all. Here's what I've got:

-Fireball: This could have a variation where holding the power button instead of tapping it channels an Ignis-like flame jet until the key is released.  I think this would be a useful alternative to fireball in scenarios where you're facing a longer line of enemies (infested or endless missions) but a fireblast might not be entirely necessary. This effect could benefit from power strength, range, and efficiency (since it would spend energy per second), which would synergize well with Ember's other power variables.

-Accelerant: I think this power could combine its current design with the idea of ye olde Overheat, to improve Ember's survivability. Make it so that when the power is first cast, it applies Accelerant as it does currently, but it also places an aura of fire on Ember that melts incoming projectiles and deals heat damage+proc to enemies that get too close (it should just be a fire aura and not the molten skin that Overheat used to have, because that blocked out cosmetics). Activating the power again would detonate the aura, dealing light heat damage (with a chance to proc) in a radius matching Accelerant's range. The Overheat component of this power would drain energy to block ranged damage (kind of like Nyx's Absorb), so efficiency would be important (as it already is for Ember). The radius of the overheat aura's ambient heat damage could be influenced by power range, since it is already a relevant stat for Ember. This component of the power would be unaffected by power duration; it lasts until the player detonates it.

The reason why I would attatch the Overheat component to Accelerant is because the energy cost associated with maintaining the Overheat aura would make the overall power more expensive, so it makes sense to attatch it to one of Ember's cheaper powers. Furthermore, Accelerant is frequently employed by Ember players as a defensive utility due to its stun. Adding the overheat aura to the cast improves that aspect of the power, eliminating the player's need to spam it to stay alive.

One final change I would consider making to Accelerant: Enemies affected by the power's initial debuff suffer guaranteed heat procs from Ember's other powers. This would really step up Ember's crowd control game, I think.

-Fireblast: Make it so that enemies inside the lingering ring of fire are damaged as well. The power visuals could be extended to make the ground look molten inside the ring to facilitate this. Enemies traversing through the ring of fire should be slowed, I think. That would improve the value of the cast by giving the fire ring more of a chance to damage and heat proc enemies. I would also alter this power so that the lingering ring of fire's radius can be increased/decreased based on Ember's power range.

-World on Fire: I would build the idea of the firequake augment into the base power, but I would change the way it works so that heat procs that occur on knocked down enemies deal their associated damage, but extend the duration of the knockdown effect instead of overwriting it with a panic. I think this augment is too much of a boon to Ember's CC and survivability (areas in which her design really needs help) to leave it as an augment. I would replace the Firequake augment with one that allows Ember to reduce enemy Armor using one of her powers (maybe Accelerant).

More importantly, however, I would remove the duration from World on Fire. It shoud last until toggled off. This single change would dramatically reduce Ember's need for power duration (without totally eliminating it), which would alleviate a lot of the strain Ember players face when modding her. Right now she needs power strength, high efficiency, extra energy, and benefits greatly from increased range. Furthermore, she suffers when dropping below 100% duration because of World on Fire. Change that, and Ember would actually have a degree of freedom in mod selection.

-Passive: Ember suffers less heat damage, enemies striking Ember in melee take heat damage with a proc chance. (Crazy idea) %chance on entering bleedout/death to automatically revive, like a phoenix.

In closing, it's important to me to note that I don't really want to see Ember's kit be changed into something totally different. I think she's a lot of fun right now, and the ideas behind her current design are sound. I particularly like how Accelerant encourages Ember to use heat damage weapons or weapon mods, I think it's nice that an elemental warframe gets to use her element more extensively. I simply find Ember's effectiveness lacking in some respects, and I think improvements like the ones I've mentioned would fix that and bring this Warframe up to Frost and Excalibur's level.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day/evening :)

^@Eminem2420 here

Right, she doesn't need anymore BUFFS.

Now she needs a rework.

Heat is such a terrible element at the moment, it's resisted by everything but basic infested (in essence). That's why the Silva & Aegis is complete and utter sh-t, we can see that now because of the Ack & Brunt.

^@Eminem2420 here

Now she needs a rework.

Heat is such a terrible element at the moment, it's resisted by everything but basic infested (in essence). That's why the Silva & Aegis is complete and utter sh-t, we can see that now because of the Ack & Brunt.

Heat has no resistances aside from Proto Shields (only Corpus Techs and Corpus bosses use it) actually. Its the only element that's its pretty much neutral vs pretty much everything.

Ember is fine the way she is imo. She doesn't need any more buffs.

I wouldn't disagree with the notion that she's fine. I just don't think she's quite on par with the more recently developed+reviewed Warframes in terms of design, functionality, and overall effectiveness. I'm not having trouble playing her, and I don't need nor want her to be some uber god-tier character. I've just used her powers enough that I've had some ideas on how they could be improved in different ways. There's things like the Fireblast ring that is so functionally underwhelming that I can't help but look at it and think it could and should be better.

Heat has no resistances aside from Proto Shields (only Corpus Techs and Corpus bosses use it) actually. Its the only element that's its pretty much neutral vs pretty much everything.

Exactly, and the fact that Ember can multiply heat damage so dramatically with Accelerant makes it amazing for her. The only problem it faces is dropoff vs really high level enemies, but that's not an Ember/heat-exclusive issue.

I agree with the DR aura. My gripe with Ember has always been that she's a caster with limited range and terrible (now just low-tier mediocre) defenses. It's fine when you're handling infested, but factions with guns? Doable, but it's a lot more dangerous to Ember than feels worth it, especially when you compare her to other damage frames, like Excalibur. And she doesn't have the utility of Frost, or even Mesa and Ash to make up for it. Ember does a lot of damage, but the glass cannon approach just doesn't work on her, as she has no real way to mitigate that, nor any abilities that aid in her mobility.

^@Eminem2420 here

Now she needs a rework.

She needs an entire rework because none of her bandaids are even helping at this point, to some extent making her even weaker, which I mean WOF being less aggressive to single mobs in a room-people Haven't noticed...

But heat is far from weak... Panic CC is far superior to every other element especially providing a good sty lock better than impact, and a dot almost as good as slash.

My only problem with Ember is that besides fireball her abilities center around her as if she would be the center of battle, while the frame (even with the new increased armor rating) doesn't really support you being in the midst of enemies.

Also. Am I dreaming or does fireball seem a lot slower than it used to be?

Heat is all-rounder damage with a decent cc/dot status proc. Ack and Brunt outshines Silva and Aegis because it has way better damage stats, with almost 50% better base damage and much better crit scaling so it benefits from berserker at 20% 2x vs 5% 1.5x. Silva and Aegis has the same base damage as dual icchor with none of the crit scaling. It's a really undertuned weapon.