Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Free Voice Chat For Warframe Players

RedNuker

Hello Tenno,

Recently I have come across an app called DiscordApp while looking for a new and better free platform for voice communication and so far it works very well for what it claims to do.

Discord offers a free voice and text-based communications app primarily geared towards gamers. You can have text and voice channels. You can create a server for free and have unlimited slots without paying a penny. It is available on nearly all platforms (Windows, OSX, Android, iOS) and can also be used in the browser. It is soon coming to Linux and other platforms.

What's the catch? No catch (from my research). The company plans to offer sound packs and stickers in the future.

I highly recommend Discord over other voice platforms, so clans can save money and time. It's also easier to get your users using something that does not require a download. We created a server not only for our clan, but for other clans that want to test out the service before implementing their own server and for randoms who want to squad up and use voice chat/talk about wf.

Learn more about Discord by searching for DiscordApp or join our server below to see if your clan could use it.

I hope this helps some clans, especially the newer ones who are setting up and are trying to avoid complicated and costly means of communications :)

Edited by RedNuker

Discord offers a free voice and text-based communications app primarily geared towards gamers.

I don't know, John Everygamer... That sounds totally radical, but what if I want to experience high quality entertainment such as Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, or Minecraft. Will Discord be able to keep up with me and my needs?

Interesting, checked it out on their website and seems to be a good app.

What is the catch? Where do they profit from it? It clearly cant be a free organization? Unless they make money without us even spending money. Like google ads, making money from us not spending money. 

I'm founder of Warframe clan. I've been playing since U7. Member since April 2013. Just getting the word out on a free service that I genuinely like to use. 

Our clan didn't want to buy hosting for ts3 because our previous ts3 server was rarely used. We were using raidcall but this app looks and feels better. Nobody is forcing you guys to use this server. Just a heads up for people who might find it interesting and useful. If you already have ts3 or something else, that's fine. Some players could use something like this.

Edited by RedNuker

Interesting, checked it out on their website and seems to be a good app.

What is the catch? Where do they profit from it? It clearly cant be a free organization? Unless they make money without us even spending money. Like google ads, making money from us not spending money. 

They plan on offering cosmetics, stickers, sound packs to make money in the future. But those will be optional. The devs intend on keeping the app and all major functionality free. Similar to how raidcall runs their free service. Think of Discord as a modern raidcall that can also be used on the browser and on smartphones. Anyway, hope some clans find the app as useful as we do.

Myself and a few clan members tried it recently.

It certainly looks very swish, and the voice quality is perfectly adequate. The problem is that it lacks solid, easy-to-find functionality. How does one disconnect from a server after having created it? Is there any way at all to join a server without having to use those abominable links?

Our members who had recommended Discord in the first place certainly didn't have any answers, so I just downloaded Raidcall and had a group running in 15 minutes.

I care about functionality, and Discord does not have it.

Myself and a few clan members tried it recently.

It certainly looks very swish, and the voice quality is perfectly adequate. The problem is that it lacks solid, easy-to-find functionality. How does one disconnect from a server after having created it? Is there any way at all to join a server without having to use those abominable links?

Our members who had recommended Discord in the first place certainly didn't have any answers, so I just downloaded Raidcall and had a group running in 15 minutes.

I care about functionality, and Discord does not have it.

Click on your server name next to the menu icon (three short lines) to access server settings. Go to overview section. On the bottom left there is a trash bin to delete the server.

As for your second question, click on the + sign to your left of the UI. Then click on "Join a Server" and enter an invite code.

I agree that the app may not be for everyone, but keep in mind that this app is in its Alpha state, so you can always recommend functionality to the devs on their own discord server here: https://discord.gg/0ESuwoZe4M3XCtDt

Sure, some people are tied to those platforms. This is more for players who are just starting out and need a free, solid voice chat alternative. Our server has 17 people online right now with close to 70 registered in our first week. Our entire alliance just switched over to this from TS.

we have 70 people registered... our entire alliance just swapped to this.. how big is that alliance? are you paying DE for advertising space? I haven't read the forum rules yet, even after all my warnings where the Mods suggest I read it.. but I'm pretty sure advertising is a wee bit frowned upon 

We created our server about a few weeks ago, but didn't really share it until recently and our alliance just switched yesterday. Our alliance is Tenno Above All. You can check their website http://tennoaboveall.com and you can check the alliance thread. Alliance is well-known since Update 13 and has over 70+ clans after a recent roll call.

Advertising? How am I advertising? I've been playing this game for years and I am sharing a FREE as in you-pay-nothing-for-this-ever, chat platform that we found useful for our clan and alliance. I'm assuming everyone who posts something about TS on these forums is working for or advertising for TS then including you? Of course not.

This thread is for people who are tired of paying for TS or are just starting their clans.

"I hope this helps some clans, especially the newer ones" - again, this thread is for new clans who don't have voice chat yet

Yeah, but TS also has free servers. I use one and it has good quality. No reason to switch honestly.

And failing that, the in-game voice function of Warframe is actually not bad at all.

Well, TS servers are not free if you want hundreds of slots and can't host it yourself. I use in-game voice and it's fine but our clan is more of a community and sometimes we like to play different games together (league, cs:go, gw2, etc)

• 2 months later...

Looks like a lot more clans have been using Discord instead of ts3 and raidcall

(raidcall is no longer in service btw except for russia) ^^ 

Guess I was right, it is useful for some. Feel free to spread the word about this useful program for clan / alliance leaders and people who want an alternative voice chat for doing trials.

Good catch, Nice application for me and raid team. Will probably report more for future use or updates.

Works well in-mission but during transitions of Raidphases there seem to be a weird distortion sound coming from the app, might be just my connectivity.

Yeah it's been working well for me too. Happened to me once where I sounded like a robot to others, but I think it was my connection since it was during peak hours and my connection was slowing down. 

Have you added the PvPcraft bot to your server?

The mobile apps could use some work, but it's already better than a lot of other apps so I'm hoping the devs can keep up with the development and not slack off. I've been testing the overlay with warframe (it's in a beta stage), and although it looks good, it still crashes the game way too much. I'm hoping they improve it before release. There are times when it works well (for me it's windowed mode), but other times it's just crash after crash.