Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So~ What Do When You See Someone Having A Seizure?

MegpoidBeetle

Yeah you'd probably tell me to try googling it, but I think it'd be more helpful if a Tenno would gladly share with me how to deal with this situation. Tl;dr in bold at the bottom.

I was just having lunch with a friend of mine after class at a mamak stall behind our college. While enjoying a nice movie of Back to the Future, friend of mine suddenly collapsed from his chair and proceed to have a seizure (he's epileptic). So I got pretty panicky because this was my first time witnessing/handling a seizure victim.

Luckily for me, a customer and some workers from there knew how to handle it by letting him grip on to something (keys). So one thing went from another, friend got better after 50 minutes and the ambulance was a bit too late.

Since it's bound to happen again some time again, was wondering any friendly Tenno could share and elaborate some first aid procedures.

Turn to his side, monitor him and call for help....also he can hear and kinda see you.....

but thats bout all I know....

Well once he regained consciousness, he told me he doesn't recall anything during the episode.

Yea I did call an ambulance but they were a lil late, by then the seizure already ended. But the turn to his side that I don't know~ 

Thanks

Well once he regained consciousness, he told me he doesn't recall anything during the episode.

Yea I did call an ambulance but they were a lil late, by then the seizure already ended. But the turn to his side that I don't know~ 

Thanks

Guess its diffrent for everyone, turning them on their side might be wrong tho Google is your best friend....

Also, make sure they don't bite their tongue by putting something like a cloth in their mouth.

That actually can hurt the victim more than helping him, due to the possibility of choking from the cloth while the victim's muscles are mostly out of control, which is the last thing you and the paramedics want (I mean, on top of the seizure, the paramedics also have to deal with a choking victim). I know this from the first aid training I decided to attend. 

That actually can hurt the victim more than helping him, due to the possibility of choking from the cloth while the victim's muscles are mostly out of control, which is the last thing you and the paramedics want (I mean, on top of the seizure, the paramedics also have to deal with a choking victim). I know this from the first aid training I decided to attend. 

Share more pls, math jesus

You put one hand over their mouth, and the other squeezing their nose.

pls no

Share more pls, math jesus

What you do is this: 

1. Remove anything within the vicinity that might harm the seizure victim, such as chairs, tables, sharp tools etc.

2. Try to gently roll the victim to the side so that in case of vomiting, it will not go back down the throat and cause potential suffocation, because the last thing a person suffering from seizure needs is a lack of air into the lungs. 

3. If possible (or confident), roll the victim into recovery position in order to achieve minimal pain for the victim. If that is not possible (say the victim's legs are really out of control), just do step 1 and 2. 

But of course, the most important step is to call qualified paramedics, either by doing it yourself before doing the aforementioned steps, or order someone else to do it while doing the aforementioned steps. And have at least one person staying beside the victim to ensure nothing wrong happens. 

Edited by Renegade343

I know how you feel bandaid.

This happened to me while I was on school and having a lunch. My class mate just says that his friend is going to have seizures. I said "I think you two are joking" and when I saw that he's friend started to have seizures I was shocked... I just @(*()$ jinxed it and got a @(*()$ wall at my face. I knew how to treat a person who gets seizures... But seeing it in first hand and coming after I just being a prick... Just... Really uncomfortable.

Edited by Revel72

What you do is this: 

1. Remove anything within the vicinity that might harm the seizure victim, such as chairs, tables, sharp tools etc.

2. Try to gently roll the victim to the side so that in case of vomiting, it will not go back down the throat and cause potential suffocation, because the last thing a person suffering from seizure needs is a lack of air into the lungs. 

3. If possible (or confident), roll the victim into recovery position in order to achieve minimal pain for the victim. If that is not possible (say the victim's legs are really out of control), just do step 1 and 2. 

But of course, the most important step is to call qualified paramedics, either by doing it yourself before doing the aforementioned steps, or order someone else to do it while doing the aforementioned steps. And have at least one person staying beside the victim to ensure nothing wrong happens. 

And there's also something about letting them grip onto something, yes?

I know how you feel bandaid.

This happened to me while I was on school and having a lunch. My class mate just says that his friend is going to have seizures. I said "I think you two are joking" and when I saw that he's friend started to have seizures I was shocked... I just @(*()$ jinxed it and got a @(*()$ wall at my face. I knew how to treat a person who gets seizures... But seeing it in first hand and coming after I just being a prick... Just... Really uncomfortable.

Thar thar ////paps

How's your method of treating tho

And there's also something about letting them grip onto something, yes?

Thar thar ////paps

How's your method of treating tho

Well... I would have moved the tables, chairs. Check his mouth for anything what could cause plug on throat. Protect his head with jacket or NEARLY any piece of clothing. When the seizures stops I would set him on his side to recovery position. And of course calling to emergency number.

Sadly yes I got shocked on that situation myself... I just jinxed myself at that situation and it wasn't funny AND what is the chance of that to happen... Dear god... That is the way what is taught in Finland to deal with seizures of epilectic people.

Edited by Revel72

Well... I would have moved the tables, chairs. Check his mouth for anything what could cause plug on throat. Protect his head with jacket or NEARLY any piece of clothing. When the seizures stops I would set him on his side to recovery position. And of course calling to emergency number.

Sadly yes I got shocked on that situation myself... I just jinxed myself at that situation and it wasn't funny AND what is the chance of that to happen... Dear god... That is the way what is taught in Finland to deal with seizures of epilectic people.

Hope that friend of yours is doing fine now~

Thanks much for the advice, at least I know what to do instead of losing my S#&$ when friend of mine has another episode.

Hope that friend of yours is doing fine now~

Thanks much for the advice, at least I know what to do instead of losing my S#&$ when friend of mine has another episode.

Epilectic seizures are either caused by a lot of light flickering (don't remember was there some kind of factor what causes this) or they just randomly happens.

That happened about more than two years ago. I guess he is doing okay. But that situation just has left a big burn mark on my head.

Epilectic seizures are either caused by a lot of light flickering (don't remember was there some kind of factor what causes this) or they just randomly happens.

That happened about more than two years ago. I guess he is doing okay. But that situation just has left a big burn mark on my head.

Well for his case he told me he was feeling a bit dizzy and he felt like he suddenly blacked out (that's where he suddenly collapsed against the chair and fell on the floor)

Do not. It can cause danger to the victim and to anyone helping the victim. 

Strange, nearby helpers rushed over and made him grip onto their keys. Thought it supposedly have something to do to not let him clench his fist too hard till he hurts himself.

Strange, nearby helpers rushed over and made him grip onto their keys. Thought it supposedly have something to do to not let him clench his fist too hard till he hurts himself.

I am taught not to, for the sake of not having to worry about another potential danger. If anything, I would judge an injured palm a better additional injury than having two people injured, but that would be just me.