Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Shield Augment Ideas *and* Split Chamber Alternative

AyeDog9000

I pretty much just have two ideas, but both using the same concept/idea/goal.

"Phalanx Shield"

The sort of mixing the concepts of Perpetual Vortex and Tesla Link (Vauban Augments), each shield placed in a line causes the shield to merge, sealing any gaps, effectively allowing Volt to create a type of Frost Globe, but at higher energy cost/lower duration/more tactical skill.

Distance Between Shields to merge .2/.3/.4/.5m (Affected by power range)

Duration Extended by 10/20/30/40% of the max limit (Affected by Power Duration)

Links up to 2/3/4/5 shields (unaffected by power strength)

Namely, my idea for this was because I get tired of Frost's globe interfering with my line of sight. Minus the slow aura, Volt Shield is, in my opinion, better. Effective at blocking enemy fire, allows allies fire both ways, and doesn't have a max hitpoints which has to be modded to be improved.

"Kinetic Charging"

Sort of like the concept of Nyx's absorb using weapons fire to charge, this augment would increase the shield's size (width curve and height). As it stands, the shield covers about a 135 degree frontal arc, meaning more shields have to be placed to cover more area, which can become tedious. The "charging" part of the name is what changes that. Firing into the shield would slowly enlarge it. Either based on damage or projectile count (or a mix), the shield will enlarge to encompass a max 160/180/200/220 area of where the player is facing (unaffected by range) (enlarging unaffected by range, affected by efficiency 1/2 [similar to that bows are 2x affected by fire rate mods]). Also, as it enlarges, it'll increase its radius from the cast point by up to 50% (so, if its radius is 5m in front, its radius would end up being .75m away, allowing the player more movement room. Affected by friendly fire only.

Max Size of 160/180/200/220 degree area in front of player-facing

Requires [insert numbers that make sense] shots/damage to reach enlargement (Affected 1/2 by power efficiency, much like Rifle fire rate mods are doubled on bows)

Split Chamber alternative:

"Fission Chamber"

While I do like split chamber as a means of sometimes boosting proc chance, it doesn't always suit my needs, even though a 90% chance to fire a second shot is nice. My proposal is Fission Chamber, which instead of firing a second shot, reduces the "cooldown" of the next shot by 90% (which I believe is 180% fire rate increase for one shot).

In a sense it would make weapons have a slight stutter as the second shot is quickly fired before returning to its regular fire rate. It would also consume ammo at a slightly faster pace, which isn't always a problem for people if they're using weapons with high ammo reserves/efficiency.

Each shot 15/25/35/45/55/65% chance to cause a 60/80/100/120/140/160/180% increase in fire rate for the next 1/1/1/1/1/1 shot.

And I'll just say I really want this for the new Diriga, make it fire like a burst machine gun for no special reason.

Edit: Split Chamber could not be used with Fission Chamber. Just thought I should include that.

Edited by TonyEvans

Phalanx shield would make Volt shield damage scaling worse, yes? Since the damage scaling is dependent on how many shields you can place in one area, and combining them together only makes them count as one shield, correct? Thus, no one would use it. Especially since it would be in the way of you just putting on a, you know, power efficiency mod so that you could put more shields up in general, gaining a similar effect if not better since you can place more shields.

More shields > filling small gaps that enemy AI isn't smart enough to shoot through.

Kinetic Charging wouldn't be that useful. The shield is big enough already, it really depends more on where you put it. This mod would be in the way of your putting on an efficiency mod to just place more shields, instead of trying to grow one bigger. It'd be nicer if kinetic charging increased the duration akin to Eternal War. Almost makes sense too, since if you're there using the shield it should stay there a bit longer than the one across the tile no one's using.

Edited by (PS4)theelix

shields could still be placed in a column, but when placed in rows they'd merge. Form a kind of perimeter.

Perhaps add in that each shield connected could increase damage scaling?

I do know, though, that from my experience I sometimes prefer a wall of shields, or a individually-placed bubble, over a series in a column. Granted, both have advantages depending on the goal.

As for kinetic charging, it'd be more of a volt alternative over Frost, has its use and places.

New Idea: 

"Electric Catapult"

I'd like to draw on Nyx's Absorb ability, again. This time, proposing that the shield adapt an offensive quality. 

As enemy fire is put into the shield, it absorbs and transforms the kinetic energy into pure electrical energy. The amount absorbed would depend on what time of weapons fire would be put into it. Rapid-fire weapons like Grineer and Corpus rifles would add energy at a normal rate, however slow-speed projectiles like rockets from Bombard wouldn't contribute as much. Melee attacks, such as Scorpion and Ancient Infested grapples, add even less energy.

Once the shield's expiration ends, the energy is redirected in two ways. The first is outwards. In a manner similar to Frost's Ice Wave, an electric surge is launched, dealing non-chaining electric damage and potentially stunning targets. The second is a speed-buff that affects weapons' projectile velocity like to Terminal Velocity, affecting both the player's weapons and his/her sentinel's. 

Electric Surge

Wave inflicts damage by up to 5/10/15/20% of absorbed damage (affected by enemy weapon types) (unaffected by strength)

Wave Range damages up to 7.5/15/22.5/30m (affected by range)

Proc chance of 5/10/15/20% to stun (unaffected by strength) (will not chain damage)

Stun damage lasts 1/2/3/4 seconds (affected by duration)

Buff Pulse

Allies within 2/2/4/4 meters are buffed (unaffected by range)

Projectile Velocity is increased by 15/30/45/60% (affected by strength)

Velocity increase buff lasts 5/7/9/11 seconds (affected by duration)

** Placing multiple shields will not allow the charged wave to increase in damage as if placed in a conduit **

@Theelix: I did just see your mention of Kinetic Charging to increase duration based on increase in size, perhaps like how Cataclysm increases duration based on kills inside. I definitely like that idea. Will edit OP