Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Can We Rework Mastery?

S.T.M.P.D

So the post multishot rework discussion has tempered itself a bit, to the point where we're now discussing more intelligent topics instead of nerf-baiting - enemy scaling, progression vs. customization, etc. One of the topics that's come up is Mastery ranking and how it's insufficient as a gauge of player progression since it's based around spending lots of time with different weapons, not necessarily getting good with them.

So how could (not sayin' we should) rework Mastery ranking? I know DrBorris engineered a quest-based progression system as part of his Progression 2.0, but it also assumes the existence of a quest-based campaign, and last I checked those take a while to make.

Discuss.

Make skana prime MR20 locked.

On a real note: Make all prime weapons to atleast MR6 and up.

Rework the market MR ranks, like tonkor for instants...

And when the devs make new weapons, make their rank match up with the stats of the weapon.

Edited by Monsterwithin

Why mess with it at all?

The main reason is to lock weapons behind it.  Why shouldn't people who've played the game 2 days be able to get one of the two best weapons, the Boltor Prime?

Because then the game becomes super easy and boring, and they're likely to quit.  It's a cheap gameplay mechanic but players do like the sense of progression.

Unlocking weapons then becomes reward for completing content.  Is levelling weapons content?  Not really.  I'd move some of the mastery points away from that and more towards completely nodes, planets in particular, achievements.

Also, the Mastery Tests need tweaking and mostly making a lot harder.  That's a fairly easy task for the most part.