The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Waifu Wars

Arcane_Intelligence

Never played Star Ocean, so I dunno.

It's not turn based (obviously) but a bit different than the other combat systems of the previous 2 games.

Umm.. how to describe it. It was all in real time. Star ocean had a single button for attacks/combos from the weapon equipped, plus a special attack menu, and a magic menu that could be used in real time. Or you could pause the action and set different traits (become offensive/defensive, use magic/save mana, protect allies/attack enemies, stick close to the team/go out and attack, etc.) to each character, or set up your team to different magic abilities and then unpause and your team do all the actions you gave them while the game was paused. There are also group combos that can happen when a gauge fills that have huge damage multipliers, you can also use that gauge by yourself to enter "rush" mode that increases your damage, movement speed, and resistance to damage/effects. There is dash based dodging, jumping (which can be combined with all attacks, and most magic), and timing based counter attacks. You control one character, but can freely switch to another during combat.

Sorry for wall of text, but it's hard to paragraph that.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

Umm.. how to describe it. It was all in real time. Star ocean had a single button for attacks/combos from the weapon equipped, plus a special attack menu, and a magic menu that could be used in real time. Or you could pause the action and set different traits (become offensive/defensive, use magic/save mana, protect allies/attack enemies, stick close to the team/go out and attack, etc.) to each character, or set up your team to different magic abilities and then unpause and your team do all the actions you gave them while the game was paused. There are also group combos that can happen when a gauge fills that have huge damage multipliers, you can also use that gauge by yourself to enter "rush" mode that increases your damage, movement speed, and resistance to damage/effects. There is dash based dodging, jumping (which can be combined with all attacks, and most magic), and timing based counter attacks. You control one character, but can freely switch to another during combat.

Sorry for wall of text, but it's hard to paragraph that.

Hmmm, I don't think it's the same.

For this game in particular (I say particular because the combat system changes with every game in the series), the combat system works like this:

Basically you have artes:

Martial artes are like you regular combos, you can preform different combos and things called titles unlock different combos. (Button bindings are re-bindable on PS4).

Then you have Special artes, think of them as more powerful and elemental based attacks. It's all tied to a "stamina" meter that recharges when you successfully block an attack or when just by not attacking. Every enemy is weak to some kind of element and also have resistances against those elements as well.

I'm not gonna spoil much but you do have special forms that can devastate enemies when you change into that form.

Movement is basically on one line when you target an enemy but it can be switched to free run by holding down L2. (There is a "skill" that you can unlock early on in the game that reverses this, but keep in mind that stamina doesn't recharge when you sprint). It's mainly a team of 4 that enter battles.

Also a level 14 can beat a level 19. So I think a 5 level gap is fine for enemies.

Edited by TheErebus.

Hmmm, I don't think it's the same.

For this game in particular (I say particular because the combat system changes with every game in the series), the combat system works like this:

Basically you have artes:

Martial artes are like you regular combos, you can preform different combos and things called titles unlock different combos. (Button bindings are re-bindable on PS4).

Then you have Special artes, think of them as more powerful and elemental based attacks. It's all tied to a "stamina" meter that recharges when you successfully block an attack or when just by not attacking. Every enemy is weak to some kind of element and also have resistances against those elements as well.

I'm not gonna spoil much but you do have special forms that can devastate enemies when you change into that form.

Movement is basically on one line when you target an enemy but it can be switched to free run by holding down L2. (There is a "skill" that you can unlock early on in the game that reverses this, but keep in mind that stamina doesn't recharge when you sprint). It's mainly a team of 4 that enter battles.

Also a level 14 can beat a level 19. So I think a 5 level gap is fine for enemies.

Sounds pretty similar, I forgot to mention you get different equippable combos/magics as you level up in Star ocean, and there is also a lock on feature, I don't use it unless I'm using a ranged unit. The special forms thing seems like the biggest difference between them.

Oh well star ocean 5 is coming out on PS4, so you'll have a chance to try that soon.

4 (the last hope) is good too, but that's on PS3, it can be a bit disorienting though, because a lot of the game's progression is set around stumbling upon certain event triggers that give missions that link back to the main story and allow you to progress. If you do pick up 4 (It should be pretty bargain bin price by now), try to get the international version because they touched up the visuals in a lot of areas, and tweaked it for better performance and faster load times. 4 was horrible on 360, 3 discs :( I think the PS3 version had 1 disc.

Am I only one who has no idea what games Erebus and Pharen are talking about?

I´m such a scrub...

They're talking about Zestiria, the sorta new-ish game to the 'Tales of' series, and soon(extremely soon) to be released on Steam. 

Also, there's only one true waifu:

qbfSxLu.jpg

qcSDZYN.jpg

93IgCNz.jpg

DY2xdKO.jpg

CAubMca.jpg

OFRRu7I.jpg

Toilet-kun~

scrolling is such a pain... 

How's Zestiria?

It's good.

Combat took a little while to get used to, but it's fun. 

Better now?

Fok no gimme an image. Ain't opening suspicious links

Hey, you were already a part of this <_<

also mandatory:

dont_click_links__by_multipikachulover-d

Edited by (PS4)Pharen