The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Modding Potatoless Melee Weapons?

Ifeno

Question

So, I quite frankly don't have enough Potatoes for all of my melee weapons, but I'd like to be able to use my 4 or 5 frequently used weapons to their maximum potential.  This means I usually get about 4 mod slots.

Typically the first 3 are always:

Pressure Point

Fury

Reach

The 4th slot is such a toss up.  Do I mod crit damage? crit chance? 1 element? Status chance up? Status duration up?

What's the best for a 4 mod melee weapon?

9 answers to this question

Reach is only useful on certain weapons. Its pointless to put it on something like the obex. For my weapons, which are crit chance based, I stick a berserker on first. Then I go for pressure point, and channeling efficiency mods. that's how I build my melees. None of my melees have potatoes. none. They all go to the prime primaries. 

|
|

|

|

|

|

tumblr_n389g67ObC1rb9a6wo1_250.giftumblr_n389g67ObC1rb9a6wo1_250.giftumblr_n389g67ObC1rb9a6wo1_250.giftumblr_n389g67ObC1rb9a6wo1_250.gif

I've only ever used 3 potatoes in this game, so none of my melees except the ones I get from events have potatoes.

For the fourth mod, I would usually add an element mod, but that would depend on the weapon. If the weapon has a good crit chance, beserker or crit mods can be good. Status element mods are good for the higher status weapons. I don't use Reach, so I can add two status/element mod for some good status and damage on some weapons.

In the end, it's up to your play style. I'm in favour of status/element mods for a typical melee weapon with a decent status chance.

Edit:

I just realized you should have 15 points left if you have a stance in there, so I would say put two status/element mods in because it will give you more damage that a single element mod, which leaves you with 4 points that can't really do much.

Edited by LifeNine

unless the weopon have a good base range don't go for reach (i never equip it unless i'm taking Orthos P. / Jat Kittag with slam build)

so you better take one of these builds :

if it's a crit melee go for Berserker, Crit chance (true steel), Crit damage (Organ chatter).

for the space that's left you can take Furry if the weopon is slow or Pressure point if the weopon have enough base attack speed (1.00 or higher)

if it's not a crit melee go for Furry, Pressure point, any elemental mods (Fire, poison, Radiation or magnetic, these are the most used for their bonus against factions)

if you can't get a mod maxed then you can put a forma (get it from void missions) and put it as the same polarity as the mod that require the highest mod energy cost (mainly elemental mods with 11 cost, they will be reduced to 6)

The 4th slot is such a toss up.  Do I mod crit damage? crit chance? 1 element? Status chance up? Status duration up?

There is actually a 4th option for that 4th slot, but let me save that for the end:

-Do I mod crit damage/chance? Without a potato, you're probably going to want to modify critical chance vs crit damage, unless your weapons base crit chance is already at least 25 percent. Try to get it to the 45-50 percent chance range if you can, and then? ONLY if it is a high speed weapon. That way you're getting the most out of your output.

-Do I mod for Status Chance/Duration? Unless you're dealing with an elemental weapon that already has a high BASE status chance that you want to proc a lot? No to both, more so duration. You're better off trying to get damage output at the moment when handling a non-potato'd items helpfulness to you.

-Do I mod for elemental damage? This may be more helpful for you ONLY with weapons that already have their own base element (toxic/electric/fire) that you want to mod to be more effective against specific enemy types. In some cases, maxing your physical damage may be more helpful, more so for slash weapons.

And for that 4th option:

-Should I try to get Life Strike for my 4th slot instead? Yes. Oh god, will that ever help you with this game more. Try to get it if and while you can. I would suggest playing a level appropriate Dark Sector Survival against Infested till about wave 20, and quitting and replaying to 20/25 till you get it to drop.

Edited by KoshLovesYou