The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe Crashes Computer To Black Screen

Connex

Everytime I play Warframe, it freezes, crashes to a black screen with a loud buzzing noise, and doesn't allow me to do anything except force shut down the entire computer.  I will hop back in the game once my computer restarts, get a little further than I did before, and then boom, the same exact thing happens, and it crashes the entire computer.

Are there any known issues with this, any quick fixes, or anything?  I have tried lowering graphics, I have tried running windowed mode, and still no fix.  I am really hoping this gets fixed ASAP, because it is stopping me from even attempting to play the game.

Where is the buzzing noise coming from? I'd like to assume speakers, but if it is coming from, say, your power supply, that's a bigger issue.

Does all input stop when the crash occurs. I assume it does if you've had to kill your PC even in Windowed mode. However, if it doesn't and you have a version of Windows that supports the TaskKill command, you can try "taskkill /f /im Warframe.exe" (use "Warframe.x64.exe" for the 64 bit version) in either the run window or command prompt to kill the game.

It is coming from the speakers once the black screen starts.  And I have to force shutdown everytime, completely locks up computer.  Every other game I own, modded and not, steam and non-steam, all work perfectly fine.

I have all updated drivers, what do you mean exactly by temps.  And I disabled DirectX 11 and it worked.  How can I get it to work WITH DirectX 11, how do I know I have 11 installed?

If you have Windows 7 or 8, you have DirectX 11 installed. If you have Vista, you may need to download and install the update for it. To check, open a run window and type "dxdiag". At the bottom of the System Information (first tab that shows up), it will tell you your DirectX version.

By temps, I mean temperature. If your computer (CPU, GPU, HDD, etc) is overheating, it could cause the issue you've been having. What graphics card are you using (you can check in Device Management)?

Seeing as you've found running in DX11 is the problem (or perhaps a symptom), I'd suggest contacting the devs about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, here is a list of methods that you can use to potentially determine what exactly is causing the computer to shut down / speakers to buzz. Please let us know if you find anything out of the ordinary while pursuing these methods as they could be critical in solving any crashes.

- Update Drivers

[Video Card]

Visit your GPU manufacturer's website to find the appropriate drivers for your video card. I would even go as far to suggest that you completely remove any old video drivers and replace them with the fresh install.

[bIOS]

1. Visit the support page of your motherboard manufacturers website.
2. Search for your motherboard model.
3. Download the latest BIOS for your motherboard.
4. DO NOT EVER SHUT DOWN THE PC WHILE THE BIOS IS BEING UPDATED.
5. Restart your computer or allow the update to restart it for you.
6. You will need to set your BIOS back to default, and any overclock settings or boot order as well.
--- (Note: If this crash started happening after you upgraded your BIOS then you may want to consider downgrading it to the most recently functioning version)

- Spring Cleaning!

Dust buildup is a nasty foe in the world of technology and can likely cause your system to overheat in ways that it had no intention of doing. While I strongly suggest that you do it carefully (avoid open water, harmful chemicals, etc.), it would be a good idea to open up your PC and remove any obvious clutter. I recommend using some sort of compressed air to push the dust out into the open.

- Temperature

There is a chance that your computer might overheat while the game is running. Installing a simple program to monitor your system's temperatures would be the most accurate way to determine if this is the cause. I'd suggest using HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.22-setup.exe). Run this program behind the game and frequently tab back to it to check your temperatures for any abnormalities. Depending on your system you probably want to sit at around 40-50°C -- a system running at anywhere from 80-100°C will almost definitely be forced to shut down. 

- Underclocking

I understand that overclocking tends to come with the territory, so if you are someone who overclocks their PC (or even just your GPU) then I would suggest trying to reset to factory or even underclocking. At this time we may not be able to directly assist you with any issues that you may experience while overclocking, so I highly suggest that you try running as intended. It is my understanding that there have been a number of users who find this solution to be of use to them. -- This includes both manual overclocking as well as factory overclocking.

- GPU Stress Test

It wouldn't hurt to make sure this isn't happening with other 3D accelerated programs. I suggest performing a stress test to determine whether or not it is your GPU that is causing you to crash. I'd recommend using a program that renders objects across your entire screen, such as FurMark (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/FurMark.shtml). If it is a problem with your GPU then you should experience problems similar to the Warframe crashes upon running this program.

- Memory Diagnostics Tool

Running the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool can help tell you whether or not this is an issue with your system's memory. To run the tool manually, just follow these steps:

Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Choose when to run the tool.

The tool should notify you of what exactly is going wrong with the memory, and may even try to remedy the situation once the scan has been completed.

-

If anyone else has any suggestions then please feel free to add them to this thread.
Edited by DE_Dmitri