Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need Help With Computer Trouble, Google Being Useless As Ever

Kasumi-

I came home today and launched Star Wars- The Old Republic.

My computer monitor then forced itself to 1280x768 and won't change back.

I can't use a resolution higher than that in any game now, and trying to manually reset the resolution makes windows give me the error "could not save display settings."

I already reinstalled my gpu drivers twice.

I'm very much considering wiping my hard drive and reinstalling everything because of this.

Google is being useless and only giving me results for dual monitor problems, even after specifying that I only have one monitor.

My parts:

Nvidia GTX 560Ti

Intel i5 4460S

12gb ddr3 ram

Windows 7

Restarting my computer did absolutely nothing.

Are your running W10?

I had a problem, not completely unlike what you're having, because W10 insisted on using some sort of generic emulated video adapter, or something of that sort. I was able to disable it in the device manager, and a few reboots later I was golden, and Windows no longer belived that my laptop had two built-in screens.

Tried loading my BIOS, same crap happens there too. I cant see half of the things on screen in it.

Are your running W10?

I had a problem, not completely unlike what you're having, because W10 insisted on using some sort of generic emulated video adapter, or something of that sort. I was able to disable it in the device manager, and a few reboots later I was golden, and Windows no longer belived that my laptop had two built-in screens.

"OS:windows 7"

No, im not using windows 10

Have you tried turning it off & on again?...

(I had a bug with Star Wars republic commando refusing to launch on Seven & made sure it'd run like it was running on the config of a Windows xp pc.Don't know if it'll help)

Restarting my computer did absolutely nothing.

_______

Weird...

More information?

Do other games work? Is there a performance change? Go to search (taskbar) and type in "dxdiag" (no "") is 3D acceleration enabled under the Display tab?

I can't use a resolution higher than that in any game now, and trying to manually reset the resolution makes windows give me the error "could not save display settings."

3D acceleration is enabled

I haven't tested for a performance change because I'm not going to bother actually playing a game like this

But it is like this in every game as it's at this point a problem with the OS

Edited by Kaiczar

Sorry can't help you a lot, not a very common issue and even harder to diagnose.

Tried running games through compatibility mode?

I really can't tell what the issue is. All in all a clean re-install shouldn't do too much damage :/

Already preparing to wipe it.

Not going to bother backing anything up though.

And I'm not staying on Windows 7 anymore because of this.

I've had nothing but problem after problem on this OS since I changed to it a few weeks ago.

So I'm going back to 10.

Thanks for trying though.

Update:

Switched my gpu back to my old GTX 520 so I could see if it was my DVI cable that broke (the 520 has a VGA and DVI port so I used it to test both)

Turns out the DVI cable is broken and causing some weird issues.

I still changed out Windows 7 for 10 though, cause I like 10 better anyways.

had this problem at work, have you recently updated anything?

well regardless you can try this, go into control panel>hardware and sound>device manager> select display adapters, and right click and select update device driver. let it run through. screen may flicker as it figures out the graphics, and if need to restart computer.

second option is same as first but instead up of update device driver you uninstall then reinstall driver. make sure you have latest driver software as well