Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinions On M-Transactions /dlc In Full Priced Games?

izzatuw

What do you guys think of them in AAA/full priced games? Should it be allowed, should there be a balance between it?

DLC depending on what game it is and what it does. When it comes to games from Bethesda the base content is already packed with content and you don't really need DLC to enjoy it. Games like Borderlands also have enough base content to be worth the price tag.

I personally can't say much about Destiny but I've heard that the base game is average and in order to get the full experience you require DLC like The Taken King.

See, DLC and Microtransactions are very different.

The upcoming microtransactions in Destiny are fine because it's just emotes. Completely optional and doesn't affect the game in any way.

I don't think I need to mention M-transactions that include purchasable weapons, as those are typically seen as P2W (Blacklight:Retribution).

The DLC is where things become difficult. Personally, Destiny's DLC is just really dumb. 

It would've been much better for the community and for Bungie's rep if they had made the first two DLCs more like large updates that were Free, and then the Taken King would be the large DLC/Expansion.

DLC, in my eyes, aren't bad. It's all on whether it gives you content worth doing. Dark Souls (1 and 2) have great DLCs that add onto the game and are worth doing. The Taken King does give you content worth doing, the other two...not so much.

And as Shifted said, you can pretty much get the new Destiny version for relatively the same price (AFAIK) with all the DLC, so it's fine in my books.

DLC like the ones EA keeps shoving out aren't worth it.

Edited by TheErebus.

DLC as a concept is pretty innocent in and of itself. Some companies abuse it, which is where it gets ugly. I'm also a bit against the season pass moto of saying "We're going to develop this many dlcs" before having a solid foundation of what the DLCs will be or contain. Plotting out DLCs prior to the normal games release is also a tricky subject; how will you know what your customers are looking for in their extra content before they've even had a chance to play the base game?

DLC is cool but there's a point where AAA companies begin to consider it too standard.

AFAIK At this point if you buy a full priced Destiny box you get all existing DLC's for free.

Fair deal if you ask me.

If you're not a new player, I think the DLC is like $40. Yeah it's a lot but from what I've seen it adds a ton to the game.

And the emotes? Who cares. Pointless cosmetic crap.

As for other games, it's a really per-game issue.

Evolve was a joke, asked ridiculous prices for tiny amount of content

Battlefield's "Premium" stuff might be overpriced, but is usually LOADED with new stuff. Worth getting after it goes on sale.

I still play BF3, after getting premium for an equivalent of $10.

Dead Space 3 and the upcoming Tomb Raider are completely @(*()$ stupid though. 

no....... Micro transactions in 60 dollar retail games do not need to exist. Those used t be the thing people would unlock by just playing the game. Its just content left out to jack up the price. Like evolve and its bull S#&$. 

Dlc is okay if the price is reasonable. Destiny dlc for 20 dollars is not, because Bethesda has skyrim dlc for the same if not less.

Depends on how it used and how it affects the game.

Micro-transactions to get better items in normal single player games and multiplayer games are dumb and shows that the game is created with an imbalance in mind to make the player wish they had those weapons. Sure the game might be do-able without certain micro-transactions, but the publishers could heavily stack the game against the player in order to provide incentives.

It seems as if DLC and constant updates allows the developer to publish more content throughout the year without having to make a whole new game, which I don't know I feel about.