Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Metallic Colors

KoboldPrime

we all want this badly but unfortunately i think it has more to do with pbr treatment than colour packs. i mean u can get metallic look on stuff that has the metal layer on already. could this be applied to colour packs? it would be totally amazing but i'm not sure it's possible.

it is? if this is the case all my +1 i would pay anything for this

Yeah, PBR consists of four channels: Albedo, Roughness, Metalness, and Color Masks. Coloration is done by overlaying a color in the shape of one of the masks over the albedo map. Metallic/Matte palettes would be applying different colors to the roughness and metalness maps.

This is what the texture changes look like on the last example I gave:

6ed.gif

Red is metalness, blue is roughness. The green is the albedo, which has to be split out for the overlay process because coloration isn't monochromatic. In this case it is becoming orange because the red is increased, the blue is reduced, and the green is staying the same. This turns a non-metallic rough surface into a surface that is metallic and smooth.

Edited by egregiousRac

Yeah, PBR consists of four channels: Albedo, Roughness, Metalness, and Color Masks. Coloration is done by overlaying a color in the shape of one of the masks over the albedo map. Metallic/Matte palettes would be applying different colors to the roughness and metalness maps.

This is what the texture changes look like on the last example I gave:

6ed.gif

Red is metalness, blue is roughness. The green is the albedo, which has to be split out for the overlay process because coloration isn't monochromatic. In this case it is becoming orange because the red is increased, the blue is reduced, and the green is staying the same. This turns a non-metallic rough surface into a surface that is metallic and smooth.

thank you for the in-depth explanation but it's my understanding that not all the gear has pbr implemented yet so is my assumption that this can only be applied after pbr correct? is so then like i said i'm not sure it's possible just yet but only after they finish updating the content with pbr.

I don't think metallic colors ate really doable without a huge amount of work. It's not just a new tint, like other color packs, it's a completely new skin footer every single colorable item in the game, that must be able to be partially applied--and if an item has multiple skins (e.g. Day off the Dead), each of those skins will need a new version created.

It's a HUGE amount of work.

thank you for the in-depth explanation but it's my understanding that not all the gear has pbr implemented yet so is my assumption that this can only be applied after pbr correct? is so then like i said i'm not sure it's possible just yet but only after they finish updating the content with pbr.

Yeah, this only applies to items that have been PBR'd. Items on the old shader would have to just use the color for the time being.

I don't think metallic colors ate really doable without a huge amount of work. It's not just a new tint, like other color packs, it's a completely new skin footer every single colorable item in the game, that must be able to be partially applied--and if an item has multiple skins (e.g. Day off the Dead), each of those skins will need a new version created.

It's a HUGE amount of work.

PBR makes palettes that change how metallic and rough something is just as simple as the coloration that is already being done. It is overlaying a color onto a texture either way.

Yeah, this only applies to items that have been PBR'd. Items on the old shader would have to just use the color for the time being.

PBR makes palettes that change how metallic and rough something is just as simple as the coloration that is already being done. It is overlaying a color onto a texture either way.

Yes, but currently those values are presumably baked in for each skin. You're talking about going back and making those values variable for every zone on every skin. That's a lot of work.

Yes, but currently those values are presumably baked in for each skin. You're talking about going back and making those values variable for every zone on every skin. That's a lot of work.

They are baked in the same way that the coloration is baked (they are actually all on the same texture). DE is already splitting off one channel to color it, this would just do the same to the other two.

This isn't even adding zones, since it is using the same color masks as coloration does.