The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

[Severe Performance Bug] Warframe Results In Bsod F4 Error

NN13

Hello.

For the past few days, I have been experiencing numerous freezes and experienced a few BSoD.

To be more specific, the problems started after the update that added the option to choose max framerate.

Before I go on, here are my PC specs -

Processor - AMD FX 4300, Quad Core

GPU - AMD ATI Radeon 6670, GDDR5, 1GB

RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3, 12GB

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 64-bit.

Now, what happens -

1. Many times(almost once in every mission), the game freezes for 1-1.5 minutes. Given enough time, it starts to respond again, but obviously, disconnects from the host.

2. Major problem - Game results in BSoD, with the Bugcheck code F4 = CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION.

What I have done -

The very first thing I did was change the display setting in Warframe to lowest possible setting, but that did not solve the problem.

1. Cleaned the dust from my CPU cabinet, GPU etc.

2. Scanned the HDD from errors, both using CHKDSK and Seagate SeaTools. The result was okay. No problems detected.

3. Diagnosed memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic tool - Standard check with a pass count of 5. No problems detected.

4. Stress tested my GPU using FurMark 1.17.0.0. Ran the test for 15 minutes. Temperature stabilized at 61°C with fan speed of 50%.

5. Decided to debug the minidump of the BSoD that happened yesterday, using the Windbg.

Key points were -

MODULE_NAME: csrss

PROCESS_NAME: csrss.exe

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xF4_c0000005_IMAGE_csrss.exe

BUCKET_ID: X64_0xF4_c0000005_IMAGE_csrss.exe

6. Scanned the system for virus and malware by Malwarebytes and Avast. No virus detected.

7. Replaced the Windows system files by using the Windows installation disk to check if csrss got corrupted.

8. Tried to play the game 20 minutes ago and got another BSoD.

9. Debugged the Memory dump file. As usual, csrss.exe was terminated while playing. The debugging results were exactly the same as before.

From the looks of it and a bit of Google search, it seemed to me that the problem is not on my end. I read on an website that a person was having a similar problem and that the cause was his/her Lenovo software, which was terminating csrss.exe.

There might be a chance that Warframe is doing the same in my case, although I am not sure.

N.B. - 1. I have the debugged minidump and the memory dump and can provide those if needed.

2. I have also copied the Debugging details for both to txt files and can provide those as well.

3. I have the EE.log files for both the cases and can provide those as well.

Lastly, I request someone at DE to take a look at the problem bacause the game is unplayable for me.

Thank You.

Edited by NN13

Please submit your EE.logs as well as the minidump to a support ticket when you have time.

Will do it now. Thank You.

The problem sounds like an IO error.  Make sure that all cards and power cables are seated firmly.

Not likely. IO problems almost always says so when debugged. I am sure some driver is failing while running warframe, but I just can not iron out which one. All my drivers are up to date.

I will run the driver verifier after I send the details to support.

Update -

I decided to run Driver Verifier before opening a Support ticket.

Successfully got a BSoD with Bugcheck code of 1E and was able to identify the culprit.

It was "aswSnx.sys". It is a driver for Avast Anti-Virus.

I will uninstall avast and check if the problem is resolved instead of cluttering the DE support as of now. Will surely contact support if problem persists.

Thank You, [DE]Xander and others.

While I hope your problem is resolved, I have to admit you do a better job posting steps and issues than most other users. Kudos for that, however, I've had friends that have had many issues with avast while gaming simply because it decided to try and scan a file while its being used which causes the bsod. I use Symantec endpoint and my brother uses avg and both are programed to not scan while the computer is under load.

• 2 weeks later...

While I hope your problem is resolved, I have to admit you do a better job posting steps and issues than most other users. Kudos for that, however, I've had friends that have had many issues with avast while gaming simply because it decided to try and scan a file while its being used which causes the bsod. I use Symantec endpoint and my brother uses avg and both are programed to not scan while the computer is under load.

Thank you for the advice. But apparently, it didn't work.

I didn't post all these days since I was busy with real life and also, didn't want to jump to conclusions like I did before.

Another update about I further did - 

- I uninstalled Avast fully. Still had BSoD. Without any AV on my machine.

- Ran a long scan with bootable SeaTools to be absolutely sure that my HDD is not sick. Did it 2 times and both the times, it passed.

- I decided to uninstall and re-install Warframe entirely.

Note to [DE]Xander : While I was doing the above, at one point of time, I got an error saying   "Can not access devtools_resources.pak. It is already in use by another program". It is located here - C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Tools\CEF3.

- After I did a fresh install, the game apparently ran perfectly fine.

- The problems started occurring again after I did 3 things in the chronological  order as given- 

1.  Turned off Adaptive Exposure and Ambient Occlusion in Display Settings.    

2. AFK'ed for a few minutes in an Interception.

3. Used AutoHotKey in a mission.

The symptom was particularly noticeable after I AFK'ed, leading to my belief that something might be wrong with the game's AFK detection. Maybe, it is corrupting some files. Not sure though.

I will try to reproduce the problem and meanwhile, contact support.

Also, just describing the problems again, so that others can check if they have the same problem.

Its been a week since I have played Warframe properly, out of the fear that the constant freezes and BSoD errors might actually crash my otherwise healthy HDD.

- Freezes in missions, then Host migration. The premonition of this problem is NPC dialogue transmissions without any written text and voice. Think of Lotus trying to say "Ships cryogenic have malfunctioned", but I get a box on the left side without the text and voice, the game then freezes. Given enough time, game returns to normal, host migration occurs(others dc if I am hosting, nothing happens if solo) and then, all the accumulated dialogue are said one after the other.

- Game gives a Black screen instead of the Login screen. I can hear the music. I can hear the sound of hovering my mouse pointer over the Login button, but the screen remains black. 5/10 times this happens.

- Out of the other 5 times when I am able to see the Login screen, about 3 times, he game freezes when I click the Login button. And then, even if it comes back to normal, it doesn't log me in.

And seriously, I did literally every diagnostics possible, from FurMark to Memtest86 to Bootable SeaTools and absolutely nothing came out. It was obvious that everything was right on my side because I am, as of now, playing Battlefield Hardline without any problems. And about 15 days ago, I finished Batman Arkham Knight without any problem.