Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Second-Hand Embarrassment? Third Hand? What Is This?

EternalOdyessy

Dunno why I'm asking in the Warframe forums, but there's some smart people here, so I'll lay the question here.

Say some character is doing something that we know will end up in them being the "laughing stock" or just something that's just plain silly.

Why do I feel genuine embarrassment, even though it has NOTHING to do with "ME"?

I'll turn the television/monitor off, look away, cover my eyes and ears..this reaction just happens to me.

Can anyone explain why? I'm curious about this. It's not THAT big of a deal for me, but it is something I forget to think about for months on end. Might as well post this question here and then crash, wakeup in the morning, and find the answer.

It's called compassion. Yes, it's a physical thing in your brain. Perhaps you also feel sort of pain when you see someone in pain?. Bottom line is, this may not be the most welcome thing in society in an age of consumption, but it's one of the most definitive human qualities. I am like that and i prefer to be. YMMV.

It's called compassion. Yes, it's a physical thing in your brain. Perhaps you also feel sort of pain when you see someone in pain?. Bottom line is, this may not be the most welcome thing in society in an age of consumption, but it's one of the most definitive human qualities. I am like that and i prefer to be. YMMV.

Your word for today: Vicarious.

Aaah.

Thank you.