Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Rework - Master Of Energy

(PSN)StarDustKillah

lot of these seem to be extreme changes that will Probably .."PROBABLY" not be implemented, never say never though.

personally i think its a bit overkill. i love volt and all i think he needs is something to make him feel fresh. even now he's still capable of going toe to toe with more recent war frames, its just that the abilities are…flat..i suppose. USEFULL very very useful! but flat. so, that fact that you're trying to maintain their original utility is definitely a good thing, and trying to incorporate new ability mechanics (the charge mechanic) is also something new that can be brought to the table. 

so for the first ability. tone it down a bit. its a cool concept definitely! but it could end up being seriously abused. there needs to be more consequence to this prologued action, especially given what amazing CC it would give. perhaps instead of draining shields (if it did that i can't remember) the energy drain per second would gradually increase. meaning that holding it for too long will eventually heavily eat into your energy pools, and possibly leave him without powers for a while (as a result of having no energy, not as an actual mechanic). this would still be a good risk reward system for his first, while managing the fact that it could be abused when paired with certain other frames….such as trinity and mag. (i looked at it and already thought of a way to abuse the crap out of it when paired with these two.)

for his speed ability. the idea is good, so. i won't change it per'se but for now, leave it be. trust me i'll get back to it in a moment.

for his third, the shield, try ability synergy instead of the charge approach. when frost hits his snow globe with his 1. ability, it now detonates. similarly volt could do this with his shield perhaps? except instead of detonating it, he could overcharge it, increasing the critical bonus and chance of weapons fired through it and maybe even increasing its range and reducing falloff damage. (looking at the amphrex) this would allow him to increase his range and damage for his primaries at the cost of even more energy. plus its not as complicated

for the ult.

Ability Four: Overloaded Tempest

This has 2 Phases to it and a Possible Augment (Phase 3).  Phase 2 Is the main Ability here.

Volt focuses all of the energy stored in his body and then violently releases it in a wave of energy over 25 meter radius. After all the energy has traveled and done it’s damage, Volt channels all the newly created energy, back into himself and allies. Turning Volt, into a Tempest of Overloaded Energy! 

Initial Energy Wave (Phase 1)

• The Energy Wave has a base damage of 650

• Players can hold down the Power 4 Key, to use all of Volt's Shields/Over-Shields and energy to increase the damage of the attack.

• For every 100 of Volt’s shields used, the damage is increased by 10%

• For every 25 energy of Volt's pool, the damage is increased by 15%

• For every electronic shortage (Ship Lights, computers etc.) Damage of the energy wave is increased by 35% for each. (Something Juicy since it’s a one time thing)

• All this to add a cool risk and reward element to him!

Looking at this with my current Volt Prime’s Stats

Shields:       10%            22x  =  1430    Damage

Energy:        15%            34x  =  3315   Damage

Electronics:  35%           10x  =   2275   Damage

Wave Damage (Without Power Strength Mods) = 7020 damage per enemy.

Overloaded Tempest (Phase 2)

Effect's on Allies:

• 80% of Shield Damage and 40% of Health Damage dealt to all enemies is then applied and split into 40% energy and 60% Shields/Over-Shields, amongst Volt’s allies.

• Volt’s allies would receive their Shields/Over-Shields instantly.

• The energy is given to allies overtime while this ability is active. Around 20 energy is distributed a second.   * This stops once this ability is deactivated.

Effect's on Volt:

• Once Volt stands up after taking in the energy. Volt’s base Shields and Over-Shields Cap are increased by 55%.

• Max Shields/Over-Shields increase is affected by Power Strength Mods.

• Volt enters a Multi Energy Whips Melee Stance. Uses large Sweeping strikes, overhead slams and flips (Whips behave something akin to Whiplash's or Omega Red’s whips. Almost as if they are alive or an extension of Volt’s Limbs.)

• Base Damage of the whips is 50% of calculated sum, of the initial Energy Wave. (The Percentage of Damage used IS NOT effected by Mods)

• Melee Weapons do NOT account for Whip's Damage.

• Enemies struck by Volt’s Whips, have 35% of shield damage converted into Volt’s shields. While 10% of shield damage is converted into energy. 20% of health damage is converted into shields. While 45% of killing blows is turned into Energy.

• Allies struck by Volt’s Energy Whips have 15% of the damage converted into their shields.

• Channeling also extends whips range. Channeling Cost is increased by 2x.

• Power Range could affect length of Whips.

• This form not only drains energy per second, but Shields as well. 10 energy per second and 150 Shields per second. Every 30 seconds of being in this form Volt LOSES 5% armor FOR THE ENTIRE MISSION! (For a little bit more risk and reward. As well as to show he is pushing himself far beyond his limit. (Being downed and revived could rest this?)

Phase 2’s effects on Other Abilities: 

• Casting "Speed Force X2" while in Phase 2, would cause Volt to float midair like Wukong’s "Cloud Walking" Ability. (Something like Storm for X-men?)
  • “Voltage Barrier” “Voltage Barrier X2” can be casted from afar and placed at a surface where Volt is aiming.

• “Voltage Syphon” “Voltage Overkill” would have their casting times reduced by 25%.

Lingering Voltage Field (Phase 3: POSSIBLE AUGMENT MOD)

• When "Overloaded Tempest" is manually deactivated or runs out of resources. Volt would collapse and be vulnerable for a moment. The time would depend on of how much of Volt's armor was lost.
  • Once Phase 2 stops, all of that Shields and Energy generated during phase 2 is released as a damaging Lingering Voltage Field, this deals THAT TOTAL VALUE over time. The field has a base radius of 30 meters.

• Radius of Lingering Voltage Field is affected by Power Range Mods. 

• Lingering Voltage Field deals 1%-15% of the damage per second to all enemies within range.

• The duration of the Lingering Voltage Field DOESN'T have a set amount of time. But would dissipate when the damage has been completely dealt to enemies in the area. (i.e the more enemies caught in the field, the faster it would dissipate.)

• Volt CANNOT Activate Overloaded Tempest again until the Lingering Voltage Field has dissipated.

• Pressing the Power 4 Key again while the field is active. Could draw it towards him? (Maybe another Augment Possibly)

i was a bit iffy at first buuuut. the concept of energy whips its just too alluring. a stance mode would be amazing. though phase one may have to be altered.

so overload would now, instead of discharging electricity, absorb it, all the environment would go noticeably darker, (especially indoors. and volt would shine brightly, his energy whips forming around him. this would stagger enemies and possibly proc them as well. melee strikes with his whips force an electric orc on enemies, allowing for good CC control in lieu of overloads old functionality (gives even more cc if used right!) whilst in this mode, all of his abilities gain boosts and extra mechanics. 

remember before i said to put a pin in the speed add-on? well here it is.

while in this mode, his first ability now flings out his whip. if aimed at a target and held, his whip will wrap the target and discharge a violent storm of electricity to it and surrounding targets. releasing the ability will have the whips slam the target down and send out a moa style electrical smack down.

speed now increases mobility and attack speed even further, while also increasing melee range, and knocking down enemies that volt runs into. 

the additional range comes from lightning arcing off your weapons.

the shield now serves as a true one way barrier for enemies. enemies who try to enter it, are violently stunned and shocked, leaving them with their energy drained while increasing the shields potency.

while in this mode volt loses 20 shields per second to show the strain this mode has on him, as well as losing energy per second. melee kills from volt add 40 shields back to him.

the over shields bit may be a bit too much as well, BUT would also be interesting, just tweak it a bit an i think it should be fine.

I really like the overcharge idea, but personally think it should just make use of all of Volt's extra engery (I mean, Volt Prime does have the largest energy pool in the game, and regular volt has decent capacity as well). However, I do not like the ultimate, he already has his chain nuke, why add another? What would be really awesome is if instead his ultimate was a form of "Ball Lightning" so to speak (similar to storm spirits ultimate for any Dota players/ the Itzals "Blink"). Volt would become pure energy moving/ travelling at the cost of X energy per meter with a guarranteed electricity proc stunning the enemy (the stun would hopefully be scaleable with duration mods being as the idea is to give him a more reliable stun/ mobility move rather than just running into walls constantly every time you press 2)

Volt's 4 isn't exactly good. If you build towards maximum strength it only does 537 damage at the cost of 155 energy(According to the Wiki). 

I felt making it to where a player could cash out, with all of their Shields, Energy & Hitting as many electronics as possible. With the ability to get more use out of that damage by utilizing 1/2 of that damage in a Unique Melee Stance.

Edited by (PS4)StarDustKillah

lot of these seem to be extreme changes that will Probably .."PROBABLY" not be implemented, never say never though.

personally i think its a bit overkill. i love volt and all i think he needs is something to make him feel fresh. even now he's still capable of going toe to toe with more recent war frames, its just that the abilities are…flat..i suppose. USEFULL very very useful! but flat. so, that fact that you're trying to maintain their original utility is definitely a good thing, and trying to incorporate new ability mechanics (the charge mechanic) is also something new that can be brought to the table. 

so for the first ability. tone it down a bit. its a cool concept definitely! but it could end up being seriously abused. there needs to be more consequence to this prologued action, especially given what amazing CC it would give. perhaps instead of draining shields (if it did that i can't remember) the energy drain per second would gradually increase. meaning that holding it for too long will eventually heavily eat into your energy pools, and possibly leave him without powers for a while (as a result of having no energy, not as an actual mechanic). this would still be a good risk reward system for his first, while managing the fact that it could be abused when paired with certain other frames….such as trinity and mag. (i looked at it and already thought of a way to abuse the crap out of it when paired with these two.)

for his speed ability. the idea is good, so. i won't change it per'se but for now, leave it be. trust me i'll get back to it in a moment.

for his third, the shield, try ability synergy instead of the charge approach. when frost hits his snow globe with his 1. ability, it now detonates. similarly volt could do this with his shield perhaps? except instead of detonating it, he could overcharge it, increasing the critical bonus and chance of weapons fired through it and maybe even increasing its range and reducing falloff damage. (looking at the amphrex) this would allow him to increase his range and damage for his primaries at the cost of even more energy. plus its not as complicated

for the ult.

i was a bit iffy at first buuuut. the concept of energy whips its just too alluring. a stance mode would be amazing. though phase one may have to be altered.

so overload would now, instead of discharging electricity, absorb it, all the environment would go noticeably darker, (especially indoors. and volt would shine brightly, his energy whips forming around him. this would stagger enemies and possibly proc them as well. melee strikes with his whips force an electric orc on enemies, allowing for good CC control in lieu of overloads old functionality (gives even more cc if used right!) whilst in this mode, all of his abilities gain boosts and extra mechanics. 

remember before i said to put a pin in the speed add-on? well here it is.

while in this mode, his first ability now flings out his whip. if aimed at a target and held, his whip will wrap the target and discharge a violent storm of electricity to it and surrounding targets. releasing the ability will have the whips slam the target down and send out a moa style electrical smack down.

speed now increases mobility and attack speed even further, while also increasing melee range, and knocking down enemies that volt runs into. 

the additional range comes from lightning arcing off your weapons.

the shield now serves as a true one way barrier for enemies. enemies who try to enter it, are violently stunned and shocked, leaving them with their energy drained while increasing the shields potency.

while in this mode volt loses 20 shields per second to show the strain this mode has on him, as well as losing energy per second. melee kills from volt add 40 shields back to him.

the over shields bit may be a bit too much as well, BUT would also be interesting, just tweak it a bit an i think it should be fine.

His 1 Power drains shields and does inflict more damage the longer it's casted. It already had an energy cost per second and said cost did increase the longer it was used (Wasn't worded that well.) But I agree it should have some repercussion so I made the cost of the "Voltage Overkill" higher and emphasized that it's cost increases the longer it's used.

About his 3rd Power, the synergy already exists because his 1 feeds him Over-shields. But I do like the idea of shocking a Barrier to make it stronger.

But I think in use, the way it is now, it really wouldn't be that complicated.

I mainly had the way it is, in case you wanted to have a extremely large doorway or something covered by a Barrier. (Like the Corpus Fortress Gateways on Triton or the Downstairs areas on Draco.) But you've given me an idea for an augment or an addition.

I also like the additions to his 4's effect on his 1 and 3. The only reason I didn't have the effect's on his 2, make the speed effects go even higher. Was so that it was too much.

But yeah, I'm going to credit you for those additions.

• 2 months later...

I really /really/ like this rework, although I have slightly changed my opinion on the complexity. I like the 'gaining/pending overshields' mechanic, however I feel like his abilities (mostly his ulti) are too complex. I would simplify the first 3 somewhat, and the fourth more so. My friend had an idea that I think would be a good compromise. 

Volt would instead of released a pulse, would put away all weapons and gain the power to throw massive bolts of lightning (Zeus Style) which would have a reasonably sized AoE effect, and have a 'per shot' energy cost, similar to Ivara. Implement some of the mechanics from the pulse (the damage, the ability to over-charge, and perhaps siphon power from electronics etc.) but it would overall be more simple. I think that would drastically increase the feasibility of this concept.

I really /really/ like this rework, although I have slightly changed my opinion on the complexity. I like the 'gaining/pending overshields' mechanic, however I feel like his abilities (mostly his ulti) are too complex. I would simplify the first 3 somewhat, and the fourth more so. My friend had an idea that I think would be a good compromise. 

Volt would instead of released a pulse, would put away all weapons and gain the power to throw massive bolts of lightning (Zeus Style) which would have a reasonably sized AoE effect, and have a 'per shot' energy cost, similar to Ivara. Implement some of the mechanics from the pulse (the damage, the ability to over-charge, and perhaps siphon power from electronics etc.) but it would overall be more simple. I think that would drastically increase the feasibility of this concept.

Sounds interesting. I'd have to re-read it again and see what this could replace. Like him the thought of him throwing Large Zeus like Arc Blasts about. But I really like the Energy Whips, looks so awesome in my head. I'll give it a look.

Sounds interesting. I'd have to re-read it again and see what this could replace. Like him the thought of him throwing Large Zeus like Arc Blasts about. But I really like the Energy Whips, looks so awesome in my head. I'll give it a look.

Yeah, I mean the problem is we have 3 frames with Ulti's that summon melee weapons. This would be a summoned weapon but be really cool, and more Volt's style I think.

Also, with the Zeus-Bolt thing, it could have neat synergy with his Shield.

Edited by Akiryx