Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Trailer

-Kryptyk-

I've seen quite a few fanmade trailers, and some of them don't seem to have content from anything DE has released as far as video.  That leads me to believe it's been entirely fanmade...

We're trying to create a trailer for our alliance recruitment with a lot of lore in it, but would like to add in some of that high quality video.  Is there a way to create something like that other than just take bits and pieces of everyone else's videos? 

Edited by Firefly0037

Errrr could you give some examples of what you mean of by the "entirely fan made content" bit. 

It might just be you have not realised how many trailers and movie scenes DE has made for waframe as there has quite a few over the years.

So an example of a trailer made entirely from DE warframe movies:

There is a lot of warframe cutscene footage avaialble. If you want I can list them all for you.

However the other thing you might have seen is using Source Film Maker (SFM) to make movies. This is very time consuming but can produce some good results. As a really good example:

That is entirley made in SFM with possibly some after edditing effects.

So which do you want:

SFM information or a list of all DE warframe videos?

Edited by MDRLOz

Ok so SFM it is.

Right, first off, if you have not animated something before know that it is a time consuming process and just learning the software first will be a steep learning curve. However it can be very rewarding if you can give it the time and patience needed.

Firstly you need to download SFM. This can be done through the steam client by simply searching "source film maker".

Then to access to it go to the "Library" drop down at the top and take the second option "Software".

So you have the software how do you use it?

Well there are some good tutorials out there but to start with I recommend Valves first tutorials:

or if you want the first tutorial as a big video (does not include 13.1, 13.2, 13.3 pose to pose):

That main tutorial is 1hour 13 min and the pose to pose collection is another 1hour 9 min ish.  I really recommend going through these tutorials and learning the majority of the interface. It will do some things, like recording you palying a TF2 character, that you dont really need. Stick with it though as it will cover so many things you do need to learn.

After this you will want some warframe models to play with.

Well these are done by a spectacular guy called NikouT (http://nickthenikout.deviantart.com/)

He uploads all the models to a website:

https://mega.nz/#F!EUsFRK7A!ICBgRNHE5mzPqSVl8jf8gg

Currently he has most frames and a pile of weapons and enemies.

To get SFM to find them for use you will have to put them in the SFM directory. Put them in the Usermod folder and then the relevant subdirectory for each part of each model. You will learn the file paths quick enough.

Anything else you might want?

Well one important thing to work with his IK rigs (inverse kinematics) these make it so that when you move a hand or a foot the rest of the limb tries to follow with it. SFM comes with one IK rig (Rig biped simple) the only problem with this rig is that it hides all the fingers and makes them un movable while the rig is active. The rig I used to get around this is called rev rig and can be found here:

http://revzin.net/sfm.php

Any tips?

The motion graph (third tab) is your best friend imo. Though the tutorial will teach you pose to pose through other means the graph is my favourite way of animating. I am not sure if it is the best way but I prefer it.

Start with a small, simple and short project as a test. Give yourself a weekend or a whole week to make something and it is has to be done whatever state its in by the end. This will give you something to aim for and will get you stuck in just making something cool...

Want to see my first simple project (My rules were: one week animating, one camera angle and 30 seconds long) 

So many errors and so rough but it got me stuck in and I learned so much. I could probably make the same thing in less than a day now.

Where can I go for further help and support?

Well the SFM forums are great for questions and there are plenty of other SFM tutorials out there. (e.g. Jimmerlins tip of the days: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy3BILX7UtkKMEkCjqHKNIw

If you want a place to chat with other warframe SFMers to bounce ideas off of, ask for help, complain about burn out (you will) or just like to have a chat then I recommend this thread:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/389457-sfm-picture-madness-and-animation/?hl=marrowzar

Made by a fellow Tenno called Marrowzar he made it into his works thread and its now just a ground for people to talk about anything warframe SFM.

Anything else I can do to help please just ask.

I look forward to your animations Tenno!

Edited by MDRLOz