Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weird Graphics Bug?

Zachatoo

Question

Every once in a while when I start up Warframe via Steam, after the launcher lets me into the game, there are these strange lines that show up on my screen and quickly disappear. Only workaround I've been able to find is to reboot my PC, which is really annoying.

I tried switching to Windowed mode instead of Fullscreen, and the lines went away. But performance went down the drain, so I don't want to do that. Switching back to Fullscreen does not fix it, the lines come back.

Anyone else experience this and/or have any fixes? Thanks in advance.

Edit: This is the wrong subforum huh...probably should've been under PC Performance Bugs. My bad.

Edited by Zachatoo

18 answers to this question

Are you able to take a photo or a screenshot of said lines?

Are they horizontal lines or vertical flickering lines?

Have you tried playing with the display settings from the game's options menu?

What is your monitor's refresh rate?

-snip-

No I am not able to screenshot it, using the Steam shortcut to screen shot doesn't show the lines and using PrtSc only screenshots my desktop.

Horizontal flickering lines.

I have played with some of them, I'll have to play around with some more the next time I get the flickering lines.

My monitor's refresh rate is 60hz.

If you are able to take a photo of it, it would help isolate the source of the problem.

One more question though, how is your monitor connected? Sometimes a damaged port can cause a series of horizontal flickering lines. Granted, not only in fullscreen games, but it's a good thing to look out for.

Do you have another monitor you can test with? Maybe another cable? It's a bit of an unusual test, but I do remember it helping so it wouldn't hurt to try.

Excellent. That's exactly what I was going to suggest next.

Seeing how you're on a laptop, it's wise to consider testing lower graphics settings, regardless of performance. Who knows, maybe it'll change something.

Excellent. That's exactly what I was going to suggest next.

Seeing how you're on a laptop, it's wise to consider testing lower graphics settings, regardless of performance. Who knows, maybe it'll change something.

Will do, hopefully that'll solve it. Thanks :)

If u have TeamViwer i can help you with this easy.(If u have problem)

TeamViewer will not be able to help in this regard. The performance between connections is usually painfully slow, and the In-Game performance is terrible. This is more of an external problem, that should not, and most likely can not be tampered with through TeamViewer.

Edited by _Pepsiman

TeamViewer will not be able to help in this regard. The performance between connections is usually painfully slow, and the In-Game performance is terrible. This is more of an external problem, that should not, and most likely can not be tampered with through TeamViewer.

TeamViewer is also incredibly insecure... I have used it once for remote troubleshooting purposes, and I would never recommend anyone try use it, in a circumstance such as this no less. However, this is just my knowledge gained after living with a programmer and computer technician for x amount of years; I've always been the hardware person. Building 'em since I was a little tyke! But that's beside the point; I still wouldn't trust using TeamViewer.

As for not being able to take a screenshot; does this include using the F6 screenshot function? If that doesn't show up, taking an external picture would probably be best; would be a big help.

Do these horizontal lines show up when you play other games in fullscreen mode? Watching YouTube videos in fullscreen? Details, details!! =P

Really, it seems like an issue with your laptop; plug it into an external monitor/TV screen and let us know what happens. Laptop monitors are very finicky sometimes; your laptop may have broken or faulty wiring, or any number of things. Is this a newly bought laptop? Or an old(er) one?

Adding a third vote against TeamViewer.

No offense, DJDark3y, but people who have suggested it to help usually turn out to have some ulterior motives. 

The issue stated is not an uncommon one, so, hopefully, the steps suggested to troubleshoot this problem will prove helpful and Zachatoo can proceed playing the game.

Adding a third vote against TeamViewer.

No offense, DJDark3y, but people who have suggested it to help usually turn out to have some ulterior motives. 

The issue stated is not an uncommon one, so, hopefully, the steps suggested to troubleshoot this problem will prove helpful and Zachatoo can proceed playing the game.

Completely disregarding the fact that those who suggest it may or may not have ulterior motives (not saying you do, DJDark3y!), it's got very questionable security in general. I'd hate for anything to happen to anyone because of a completely innocent suggestion like that; I heavily advise against using TeamViewer ever, and if you ever do, do a complete uninstall of the program, and any and every check you possibly could do... I really don't trust that program.

As for not being able to take a screenshot; does this include using the F6 screenshot function? If that doesn't show up, taking an external picture would probably be best; would be a big help.

Do these horizontal lines show up when you play other games in fullscreen mode? Watching YouTube videos in fullscreen? Details, details!! =P

Really, it seems like an issue with your laptop; plug it into an external monitor/TV screen and let us know what happens. Laptop monitors are very finicky sometimes; your laptop may have broken or faulty wiring, or any number of things. Is this a newly bought laptop? Or an old(er) one?

It does include the F6 function, it looks perfectly ok when I screenshot with that method as well (that's 3 methods now). I decided to take an external video. Sorry for bad quality, it's an iPhone 4s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbdhmOT3WYk

These lines only show up in Warframe, no other games or video players. Laptop is only about a year old. I couldn't find any monitors besides a CRT one, which probably wouldn't help in solving a problem with an LCD monitor.

Edit: Took me a few tries to get the link to work.

Edited by Zachatoo

How is this not appearing in any other fullscreen application?

This is not the cable problem I've assumed it was.

Which gpu is installed? Are the drivers up to date? What are the gpu settings on the topic of energy saving (performance or quality)?

[Edit]

If it's a HP laptop with two gpus, one of which is an ATI card reserved for "gaming", I'll tell you up front, it will keep failing one way or the other until you give up on it. Speaking from experience, and I didn't even use it for gaming. So it's best to switch to something else if you can.

Edited by cxll

Which gpu is installed? Are the drivers up to date? What are the gpu settings on the topic of energy saving (performance or quality)?

[Edit]

If it's a HP laptop with two gpus, one of which is an ATI card reserved for "gaming", I'll tell you up front, it will keep failing one way or the other until you give up on it. Speaking from experience, and I didn't even use it for gaming. So it's best to switch to something else if you can.

It's a GeForce 820M, and the drivers are updated. I've updated the drivers a few times, but the problem persists. I believe for the most part my gpu settings stray towards quality instead of performance, specifically for Warframe they stray towards quality.

My laptop is a Lenovo Z50, so not sure if that's the issue. Maybe my laptop just can't handle Warframe? But it handles other similar games (in terms of graphics) without any problems.

[Edit]

That's what I thought, too, but apparently not.

It's a GeForce 820M, and the drivers are updated. I've updated the drivers a few times, but the problem persists. I believe for the most part my gpu settings stray towards quality instead of performance, specifically for Warframe they stray towards quality.

My laptop is a Lenovo Z50, so not sure if that's the issue. Maybe my laptop just can't handle Warframe? But it handles other similar games (in terms of graphics) without any problems.

Just been poking around at the system requirements, and your GPU does meet the minimum system requirements. However, it is an entry-level card. You're best off turning down all your settings and seeing if it helps. Since you're on a laptop, there really isn't anything you can do otherwise to improve this, whilst still using your laptop, unfortunately. Let us know if that helps!

As a laptop user myself (and I'm on one that's on life support, practically), I really would not recommend getting a laptop at all in the future (i.e. get a desktop), unless you're really needing the mobility, and are willing to fork out the money for a fair quality gaming laptop. Though it's often deemed unnecessary to get one specifically, over another laptop that may be cheaper, good gaming laptops will usually be the last to become obsolete, and will run faster, and better, and all that jazz. (dear lord, I feel old for using that...) I'm sure you don't want to hear see me go on about spending more money than I'm sure you already have, though, so I'll leave it at that! =P

If you need anything further about ^that, feel free to PM me; I'll gladly help out!

Agreeing with everything NavyBluePanda said.

The video you've posted mostly reminds me of when a laptop struggles to render an animation, which is why it's best to try kicking everything to performance and see what happens. A laptop will always be a laptop, so keep it safe, even if it does meet the requirements.