Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Void And The Host, "it's Complicated", Aka "my Friend Wants To Host Void Missions But He's Still Running 56K"

Dhyna

Currently the void missions system requires that the owner of a void key must be the host when using it, thus the mission latency directly depends on the quality of the host's connection.

I have a friend with a bad internet connection but some spare void keys. As we tried to let him host a mission, the latency was horrible, we where teleporting meters away when moving, we barely could land a proper hit and so on. Absolutely unplayable. He even crashed after that. In any way, that never happens to him when someone else is hosting.

So, what will he do about his keys ? Let them slowly rust in a corner of a forgotten dojo room ?

We need a system that let us choose -if needed- a different host from the key's owner

Why not adding a Void destination on the solar system with a separated hub (maybe that displays the different keys owned by the party's members) where we could set things up ?

Still, to avoid abuse, let the system kick out everyone of the mission if the key owner disconnect as it already does.

Edited by Dhyna

There should be an option to allow another member to host once in the lobby in such a situation.

Hosting issue don't just stop there.

Oceania is awful for ping issues since it includes New Zealand Australia, Singapore and China.

I say he should just use it him self then tell everyone what he got. :)

Right now he has a valid reason for not sharing with friends or the clan members.

I know of people who will gladly accept your invite but will not share their key with you, even if you know they have one.

I hope the 56k comment is a joke.  If he's running 56k he shouldn't be playing online games, at all.  No latency fix in the world will ever make todays games good enough to run well for people with 56k modems.

Edit: As for the host change, this would be awesome for all missions, not just void key missions.

Edited by iPrevenge

I hope the 56k comment is a joke.  If he's running 56k he shouldn't be playing online games, at all.  No latency fix in the world will ever make todays games good enough to run well for people with 56k modems.

Obviously it is. I'm not even sure there is still internet providers who let users run 56k.

I have a few friends in the same boat of not being to host either. I was thinking of a system that would be able to let anyone host a Void Mission where one person (those with hosting issues) can input a void key to run instead of having to use their own void key and also host the run. Not sure how'd this would work with the current exclusive system where only the host can invite other players though.

This also might be a solution, but something feels odd in looting keys that you'll have to trade because you aren't in a situation where you can use them.

Edited by Dhyna

What about adding a Spacial Distortion to the system map; upon entering there are a few grayed-out transition points/paths.  Any member can unlock a path with the correct key (thinking it would show up like a mission vote, void 1 path is unlocked, shows the name of the player that's using the key), allowing the party to transition & vote to start.  If the key holder leaves before the mission starts the party is booted back to the Distortion.  

Edited by Stanzwick