The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Psu Power Surge Issue Since Last Patch

AirBladeChris

Like i was saying in this topic:
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/555269-psu-power-surge-issue-since-last-patch/

Okay, this is a wierd one...

Since yesterday night, my PC randomly kills the power during the Halloween mission in Warframe. I had a warning message in the startup that ASUS Power Surge assistant registered a power surge from the PSU and shut off.

I researched and contacted the ASUS website, they didn't know either. And they suggested turning this feature off in the BIOS, so i did.
That seemed like it resolved it, i was able to continue thru the first part.
But when i went for the Stratos emblem, it shut off the power again, this time with the motherboard shutoff for damage prevention.

I tried to recreate this problem with other games, did not work at all, not even resource heavy stuff like GTA V or ArmA3 or DayZ.
I did no OS patch since a week before and it was allright all the time... and no, i did not touch the hardware at all.

Only on Warframe...

Ideas, anyone?

My specs

CPU: Intel i7 6700 (not overclocked)

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-P
RAM: 16Gig DDR4

GPU: GTX 780ti
PSU: beQiet Straightpower 730W
game is installed on SSD

I get the same problem when playing WF and no other game. And we have completely different rigs. Haven't played since it happend last week. Will also try fps limit when i get home.

Also look at the internals of your PSU to see if any coils are dark or even black.

Edited by Ronon.Dex

I get the same problem when playing WF and no other game. And we have completely different rigs. Haven't played since it happend last week. Will also try fps limit when i get home.

Also look at the internals of your PSU to see if any coils are dark or even black.

the PSU is fine... as i said, other (even more resource heavy) games dont do that

other thing is, i cant try anymore, it did that only in the tactical alert

Just because your PSU shuts down in Warframe and not in other games doesn't prove much. Relative light 3D loads with very high frame rates, typically cause the GPU to draw a lot of current. 

It could be that your GPU is drawing too much current on a combined power rail. If possible connect the GPU to PCIe connectors from a different rail that doesn't feed any other heavy current drawing components.

However, it's also possible that your PSU shutdown is triggered by the current cap of any given rail. In that case you'll need to upgrade...unlikely though. A 780Ti shouldn't be pulling more than 30A.

If all else fails and provided no other system setting is triggering a "soft" shutdown, then you can start thinking in the direction of a defective or overheating  PSU.