Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frame Genders

Ordain

Steve said on the Raptr Q&A that rather than a male/female button, they were looking into adding different versions of the warframes with similar themes but different powers.

I.e. a male Ember could be called Ifrit and he'd be a fire frame but his skill set would be different.

Steve said on the Raptr Q&A that rather than a male/female button, they were looking into adding different versions of the warframes with similar themes but different powers.

I.e. a male Ember could be called Ifrit and he'd be a fire frame but his skill set would be different.

Interesting fact, Ember was originally male but Minki didn't like how it turned out. The alternate helmet is in fact the original male helmet, which is why the colors don't exactly match the rest of the frame. They are slightly darker.

WF was meant to have heroes in the same way LoL does. Therefore male/female. They are all special characters, not meant to get gender selection.

There's suppose to be some lore about why each frame is a set gender. They compared it to LoL's champions. However where this lore is, is yet to be seen...

this is true, but this was stated early in development. from what I have been gathering the devs have strayed away from this idea once they've seen all the customization people want with their warframes. the main thing holding back is the time and money it would take to implement the different gendered frames.

Edited by Zeruel104

this is true, but this was stated early in development. from what I have been gathering the devs have strayed away from this idea once they've seen all the customization people want with their warframes. the main thing holding back is the time and money it would take to implement the different gendered frames.

Hmm. You make it sound very "romantic" XD

Its more like the flood of whine threads about how bad this is bla bla [insert whining here] forced them to do this...

I dont have a problem with gender specific warframes. I dont mind if they will introduce a gender swap system. Actually, I couldnt care less.

Some of those gender threads are ridiculous, while others simply want to be more connected with their frames.... But whenever gender swap comes, It will cost plat. And I cant wait for the whine threads about that :D

that would be fairly cool, but i think that being able to select the gender would be better. it's better to have 10 frames with gender selection than 20 frames where 50% of the frames are just a different version of the other 50%.

Eeeeeh, no. Each frame has their personality, the way they are expressed. I'd honestly rather each frame be a specific gender, a set personality than have it just be 'meh, i don't wanna play as a girl' or 'men, i don't wanna play as a guy.'

Edited by theammostore

I'd like a female ash/excalibur/frost.

I run as Saryn as my main (Twice formaed her so far) just because it's nice to have a female that isn't frail. But yeah, the whole 'different gender same themes different frame' idea sounds bad to me, it'd take just as much (if not more) work than just adding a gender button. I mean sure, it would go against the lore perhaps, but the story/lore is hardly the games strong point right now, and the time to change it would be now. While it's in the beta. Before they actually have ANY form of 'story mode' in the game. 

I'd like a male mag and ember.
Personality? lol you mean having breasts or not having breasts?
Don't really understand why people say the classes have their own "personality" when there's no dialogue, no expression of character aside from aesthetics, hell, every frame has the same running/walking/jumping animations.
Abilities don't make the frame's personality, the player does.
I just don't know how they'll make a male Nyx or female Excal since they share the same body design.

Edited by MylesShort

I believe to have heard that Ash was supposed to be female in the beginning.

For those that have a hard time thinking about genders of warframes. This guys Dev.Art account has quite some awesome rendition of them.

http://penett.deviantart.com/

[image not found]

Here is one if his gems; A helmetless version of Nyx

Edited by Kasamoto

These seems like it would be pretty easy to impliment, since prime warframes already can have a different skin (for lack of a better word) which seems to change the full model, not just the coloring. I understand there is a cost to remaking the digital models, but I can't imagine that it would be more than making a completely new warframe that is the opposite gender with similar powers.

These seems like it would be pretty easy to impliment, since prime warframes already can have a different skin (for lack of a better word) which seems to change the full model, not just the coloring. I understand there is a cost to remaking the digital models, but I can't imagine that it would be more than making a completely new warframe that is the opposite gender with similar powers.

easy to implement? It seems you dont know that new meshes need to be made and that they wont drop from the heavens....

In all honesty, it does take some work, but really not that much since the skills and animations are already done.
Also: Excal and Nyx have the same exact body only one has breasts and one doesn't, so this goes to show that it isn't that hard to do, but at the same time also supports the different genders being alternate versions.

They use Z-brush to make models, and considering that all the other ground work is already set up for warframe, making gender swaps would:
1. Cost less time and money than making a new (alternate gender) version of that frame with different powers; seeing as how all animations and skills would be finished already.
2. Be a quick and easier fix to this problem than any other.

For those who don't know, Z-brush allows you to create really complex models in an insanely short amount of time (the program is more like modelling clay than actually modelling), at the most an alternate gender should take about 2 weeks max from start to finish.

Note: I am not suggesting that new Warframes are easy to make, but an alternate gender already has everything aside from the physical model and textures already done, and should be relatively easy compared to other solutions to this problem.

Edited by MylesShort

I don't really care one way or another. And this is coming from someone who always picks male, because I like my characters to be an extension of myself. If it fits the lore, fine. I could easily justify it. Maybe the Tenno are post-humans who's conciseness can be transferred between bio-mechanical "sleeves" (to borrow a term from Richard Morgan). I'd be perfectly happy with a gender option so long as it doesn't affect the output of new (non-gender issue) content. But since that's not the way it works, I vote for more content, less transgender operations.