Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forum Leeching

EternalOdyessy

That's what I'm going to call it. Something that I've noticed after a good while, is that when someone knows they're loosing a argument on forums and tries to have the acknowledgement of winning.. They'll leech information that is completely unrelated to the argument (like, say, on Steam, you're having an argument with someone about, for example's sake, arguing about what kind of fish are really the deadlier ones), then, suddenly, they (sometimes) dodge a question you throw at them and they say "You're playing a Pokemon game. Opinion invalid. /thread"

'oi. Is there a official name for this? And, what's your experiences with this sort of thing? A real example I've had was with how achievements wouldn't work in Undertale, then, suddenly, I'm told that I probably should play outside, until they saw my hours on TF2.

bB5sBbH.gif

Wow. That's a word you don't hear everyday. +1 to your dictionary.

Quite a fancy word for a cowardly act in a argument.

If you get into a lot of arguments, it can be handy to look into logical fallacies.

Knowing them helps you tell good arguments apart from bad ones.

Just... don't look too hard. It's easy to falsely accuse someone. And don't forget the fallacy fallacy.

That's what I'm going to call it. Something that I've noticed after a good while, is that when someone knows they're loosing a argument on forums and tries to have the acknowledgement of winning.. They'll leech information that is completely unrelated to the argument (like, say, on Steam, you're having an argument with someone about, for example's sake, arguing about what kind of fish are really the deadlier ones), then, suddenly, they (sometimes) dodge a question you throw at them and they say "You're playing a Pokemon game. Opinion invalid. /thread"

'oi. Is there a official name for this? And, what's your experiences with this sort of thing? A real example I've had was with how achievements wouldn't work in Undertale, then, suddenly, I'm told that I probably should play outside, until they saw my hours on TF2.

bB5sBbH.gif

I HATE THIS.

That's known as ad hominem, which is attacking your opponent's character or personal traits instead of engaging with their argument.

Example; After Sally presents an eloquent and compelling case for a more equitable taxation system, Sam asks the audience whether we should believe anything from a woman who isn't married, was once arrested, and smells a bit weird.

But, since this was already described in a previous post, I will make you aware of a website that should prove to be very handy in future arguments;

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

That's known as ad hominem, which is attacking your opponent's character or personal traits instead of engaging with their argument.

Example; After Sally presents an eloquent and compelling case for a more equitable taxation system, Sam asks the audience whether we should believe anything from a woman who isn't married, was once arrested, and smells a bit weird.

But, since this was already described in a previous post, I will make you aware of a website that should prove to be very handy in future arguments;

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Thanks, again!

I am sure, even if the above posters' answers are wrong, that this action is not "leeching". Leeching would mean the forum member is taking credit for something (or gaining benefits) without doing anything, or to the detriment to the leeched. The action you described is akin to "moving a goalpost", meaning shifting the focus of the argument to somewhere else to win. 

This happens almost every single time Draco, Trinity or the P4TW playstyle comes up in a conversation anywhere on the forums. It really bothers me.

These forums are a very, very poor place to have good arguments. You are wasting your time here, and it will only lead to frustration.

I learned my lesson.

These forums are a very, very poor place to have good arguments. You are wasting your time here, and it will only lead to frustration.

I learned my lesson.

I learned my lesson.

Ive never heard of a good argument only good discussion.