The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Have Potatoes Gone Extinct ?

Iskarioth

I feel like there is no possible way it can be completely random... I have seen so many rifle scavenger alerts but very few potato alerts. I think it maybe be a weighted system, as in it is still kind of random, but some rewards have a higher probability of occurring. IMO, this would be okay if there was some other reliable way of getting potatoes... but there isn't. There should be some way to get potatoes that is not lucky based or $$$ based. Maybe as a reward for ranking up?

Scavenger Artifacts are supposed to be common so that new players have access to them earlier. We know you already have them all - that's the point of making them common.

There are potato famines. There is no conspiracy. Both Forma alerts (and presumably similar alerts in the past that they tend to announce on livestreams and such) were manually added by the devs, but most other alerts are generated randomly. This can lead to the perception of "runs" or "droughts", but that's just how random things work. (see also: Gambler's Fallacy)

Please don't post your own speculation as if it were fact. I agree that the alert system is not ideal, but it works satisfactorily for me right now (besides, reaching an ideal is a very daunting task). It's a precarious balance for sure, and not everyone can or will be pleased by anything, but I think it's important to space out the consumption of game content so the player doesn't bore too quickly. 

Scavenger Artifacts are supposed to be common so that new players have access to them earlier. We know you already have them all - that's the point of making them common.

There are potato famines. There is no conspiracy. Both Forma alerts (and presumably similar alerts in the past that they tend to announce on livestreams and such) were manually added by the devs, but most other alerts are generated randomly. This can lead to the perception of "runs" or "droughts", but that's just how random things work. (see also: Gambler's Fallacy)

Please don't post your own speculation as if it were fact. I agree that the alert system is not ideal, but it works satisfactorily for me right now (besides, reaching an ideal is a very daunting task). It's a precarious balance for sure, and not everyone can or will be pleased by anything, but I think it's important to space out the consumption of game content so the player doesn't bore too quickly. 

It's an issue because the problems with the potato system have existed since very early on in the beta, and DE has made no sign of improving it in any way. It's not about reaching an ideal, it's about reaching a point where things are "good enough" - I don't consider this good enough.

Really I have paid close attention to all alerts for the past week and half and there was only 1 alert with Catalyst as a prize, we need more in my opinion, they need to reward players who play their game not punish them :/ ... Even if is a random system they can always add a special alert with a Catalyst as reward ... put it in hard place to beat and I'm ok with it, no one says it has to be easy but this looks like is more of punishment to me. 

Really I have paid close attention to all alerts for the past week and half and there was only 1 alert with Catalyst as a prize, we need more in my opinion, they need to reward players who play their game not punish them :/ ... Even if is a random system they can always add a special alert with a Catalyst as reward ... put it in hard place to beat and I'm ok with it, no one says it has to be easy but this looks like is more of punishment to me. 

Its been 8days since the last one.

I'd kill for a chance to build another warframe slot or weapon slot from a ? alert. I don't care if it only pops up once a month on pluto, I'd still kill for that.

As for potatoes, yeah. I got a few at the beginning, and then none since I started playing. I'm still trying to decide where to spend this precious resource... and so far I haven't because once I do use it, I'll regret my decision in favor of the other option. Feels like I'll never have enough to fill up all the weapons I like with catalysts, not to mention Sentinel weapons and frames.

Its been 8days since the last one.

Just because there was an alert 8 days ago doesn't mean everyone was able to complete the alert. Warframe is a game that is played in many places, in different timezones, by many different people, some who may work or have other responsibilities beyond playing videogames. Not everyone can rush to their computer the second they see there is an alert out there.

Having one potato alert every 8 days (and really, it is way less frequent than that usually) is not enough.

Edited by fatfree

Just because there was an alert 8 days ago doesn't mean everyone was able to complete the alert. Warframe is a game that is played in many places, in different timezones, by many different people, some who may work or have other responsibilities beyond playing videogames. Not everyone can rush to their computer the second they see there is an alert out there.

Having one potato alert every 8 days (and really, it is way less frequent than that usually) is not enough.

ummmm that was me complaining? I joined on the 21st 4 days prior to that alert and I had luckily stayed up to 3am in my timezone.

And I remember someone somewhere saying they're usually once every 2-7days.

Edited by Skeloton

There are piles of other ways for them to get scavenger artifacts to new players.  And even when they get them, they'll never use them again once they get rejuvenation or energy siphon.

Imo at a minimum they need to start shifting some of the chaff out to boss drops, defense mission rewards, and raid/spy/capture missions so the alerts aren't almost always worthless bs.

Edited by Aggh

Why not just buy plat, or play w/o a potato, c'mon. This game is F2P already ffs.

Wow I'm really surprised how aggressive some responses are. I'm fully aware of the random drop system. Still everything has it's dropchance and I was wondering wether that chance got decrease because in my experience there never was such a drought before. Thus my question in the OP. Nothing more, I didn't make any demands. I have to agree though that casual players hardly ever see a single potatoe at the current state. The forma didn't help the sitiuation. I have to admit I was a little disappointed after the live stream. It's a rare chance for people who don't play often. But even I who can at least watch twitter didnt see the one which according to some people dropped last week. But if there really was one, the dropchance isn't zero at least.

I blame the aggresivness on the drought. I would prefer if we could actively work to get potatos rather than sit with our thumbs up our asses waiting for an alert to pop. Yes adding more stuff to alert certainly didnt help and how didnt they see this comong. I mean in general as well cause boss drops are slightly messed up too.

It's because all of the potatoes were of the same species. When the plague from the void hit them, they all perished because none of them were resistant to it. Had just a single plant been different, it might have survived and thrived.