Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lock Outs Don't Make Any Sense...

Xylia

As the Thread Title Says, it doesn't make any tactical sense for enemies to lock Tenno out for the simple reason Mobs cannot pass through their own doors when the ship is in Lockdown.

This effectively gives the Tenno time to finish off the few remaining mobs in a room, while the rest of the ship can't come to their defense.

And by now, the mobs should know that Tenno can easily hack into the system and remove the lockdown at their leisure anyways.

So, a proposal is in order:

Perhaps we could either add a new mechanic, or change the existing one...

Instead of the ENEMY placing the ship into Lockdown, Tenno can place the Ship into Lockdown.

Works exactly as it does now, except that a Tenno would come and find a control panel when the ship is in a normal state (no decompression or lockdowns). The control panel could be activated and there could be a hard cipher (8 octagons).

Completing the Cipher places to ship in Lockdown.

There's several reasons why a Tenno would want to do this -- maybe they need a minute to rest and they need to stop the constant respawns, maybe they're in the last room and they want to stop the enemies chasing them towards the Extraction pods, etc.

Could add a Timer that makes the enemies break whatever the Tenno did after 5 minutes or something.

And of course, to release a Tenno-induced Lockdown, a Tenno would merely go to the control panel and activate it (no hacking required).

Just an interesting idea to add some more tactical thinking to the game.

In theory, it allows the enemy forces to regroup, get in position, and get back up.

Fact of the matter is - we are Ninjas. Our goal is to breeze through literally Thousands of their enemies in a short period of time. If we can run and jump through their entire base in under 10 minutes, They're going to want to slow us down before we reach their Reactor, their Intel, their Captain Capture, their Prisoners, etc.

As for "By now, the mobs should know that Tenno can easily hack into the system and remove the lockdown at their leisure anyways."

Apply this sentence to any videogame ever and just break the industry.

"By now, they should realize that we are god damn SPACE NINJAS and they should just leave this Solar System before we eradicate their races!"

And then Warframe will turn into SimSpaceCity, where we build Dojos and go into abandoned ships to get free loot. Yay!

On another note, I like the idea of giving us the ability to interact with the ship / rooms in a unique way, like with Hacking in the unreleased "Watch Dogs" for example. We have the ability to break windows (which hardly benefits us) so far, but more interesting interactions are welcome.

Edited by Feam

Actually it does make sense.

At least if its done with an AI that acts on what would make a Lockdown make sense. The idea of a lock down in the way its designed now is to buy time for more enforcements to already be at the door by the time the Tenno can hacks into the systems. If you watch the enemy radar sometimes this is successful, and sometimes it isn't obviously. xD

But either way its to buy time. 

The Grineer see Tenno as such a major thread that just ONE appearance of such would warrant an entire ship alert, with everyone in the ship trying to kill that ONE of them. So you can see the appearance of such a being as a 'worse case scenario' to the point where sacrificing people if necessary is something the enemy would do. If locking the place down to make more time for reinforcements to heavily set up behind the locked doors is required, then so be it. Whether someone dies or not.

Besides all the factions are still technically human. They're just their own flavor of human apparently. 

We're stupid enough to think we have a chance in any situation, and to be fair Corpus normally use robot proxies to fight. So most of the time they'll probably throw MOA at you more than the actual living beings. (Which might even be people they don't mind throwing in there to die. They seem the type.)

The Grineer basically zerged their way to power by amazing amounts of cloning, so they realize they're expendable anyway. They probably have some social norm where if someone dies they just reclone them and continue along like nothing even happened. So it makes especially more sense for the Grineer than any other faction.

I do like the idea of being able to lock down an area though. That's a tactic I could make use of when soloing. >_>

Edit: Actually breaking windows is useful if you break them OUTSIDE of the area that's to be locked down. It used to be even more useful actually...but apparently that doesn't kill enemies anymore. (Not sure.)

Edited by Hauteclere

Well. In the enemies' perspective, I'd say the purpose of locking down a certain area is to prevent further fatalities of their allies, regardless of the Tenno's capability of 'overhauling' the system of not. They are doing this for the 'greater good' - to sacrifice a small group of soldiers to ensure security of the others. What else could they have done anyways?

If you ask me I'd say adding a suffocation effect if the Lockdown is not deactivated after a certain period of time, similar to the glass-breaking effect. The security system should increase in complexity as the Difficulty increases too IMO, at least on par with the combinations as seen in Rank Tests.

Well. In the enemies' perspective, I'd say the purpose of locking down a certain area is to prevent further fatalities of their allies, regardless of the Tenno's capability of 'overhauling' the system of not. They are doing this for the 'greater good' - to sacrifice a small group of soldiers to ensure security of the others. What else could they have done anyways?

If you ask me I'd say adding a suffocation effect if the Lockdown is not deactivated after a certain period of time, similar to the glass-breaking effect. The security system should increase in complexity as the Difficulty increases too IMO, at least on par with the combinations as seen in Rank Tests.

I agree. I think I'd like to eventually see the Grineer introduce poison into the lockdowns. >D Sounds like an idea they'd have.

Or...Is that more corpus? Hmmn.

I agree. I think I'd like to eventually see the Grineer introduce poison into the lockdowns. >D Sounds like an idea they'd have.

Or...Is that more corpus? Hmmn.

I would love to see these when locked down:

Grineer - An abrupt increase in room temperature that directly does HP damage, shield & armor-ignoring.

Toxic Air - Slows Tennos down and deducts HP slowly

Corpus - An Electric Flow that is spread all over the floor and does minimal but continuous damage to shields/ disrupts HUD and depletes energy at a low rate (say 5 energy/ sec)

Lockdowns are either annoying (because I hate hacking) or a great respite in tough fights. If the enemy's objective is to make me angry, they succeed most of the time by shutting down all doors. If their objective is to kill me, they fail horribly by doing so :P

I would love to see these when locked down:

Grineer - An abrupt increase in room temperature that directly does HP damage, shield & armor-ignoring.

Toxic Air - Slows Tennos down and deducts HP slowly

Corpus - An Electric Flow that is spread all over the floor and does minimal but continuous damage to shields/ disrupts HUD and depletes energy at a low rate (say 5 energy/ sec)

Oh, so you want a Lockdown to be pretty much guaranteed death for the Solo Player who is lesser-modded.

I see.

Xylia, on 02 Jun 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

Oh, so you want a Lockdown to be pretty much guaranteed death for the Solo Player who is lesser-modded.

I see.

Well, I guess the damage could be minimal? Or otherwise it scales with the mission difficulty maybe?

Plus, why would you be using less Mods deliberately in the first place? Low ranked you say? Well then you shouldn't be solo-ing the missions that you aren't capable of.

P.S. Is this game too hard for you or what? Lol

Leaving aside difficulty/balance issues and actual "lore" issues, this is a flawed idea.

Arguably the primary purpose of the lockdown is to increase immersion by creating a "threat" or obstacle that is beyond the player's control. To create the sense that the environment they are infiltrating is under the control of the enemy.

Not only does this serve to reinforce the fiction of the game, but it also presents a challenge. When a lockdown happens, there's the possibility of the team being divided, or, when a self-destruct timer kicks in, of the players being held back. The sense of urgency that accompanies a lockdown hack attempt is something that should not be taken from players...and yet, it is something that would be taken from players if the hack attempt was made with the intent of causing a lockdown.

Put simply, if lockdowns were caused by players, it would cause fractures in the illusion of the game - players would see the darkened, creepy ship environments not as a hostile realm to infiltrate and explore...but as an Orcs Must Die-esque trap-filled environment designed purely to facilitate the deaths of NPCs.

We are intruders. The environment should hate us and want us to die, and we should be made to feel that way. I'd vote for more of the opposite; as others have suggested, make the lockdowns more of a threat, like hull breaches.

Edited by MXXVI

Or the locked rooms could open some door to everentering enemies ? So as long as you don't unlock the doors you'll face endless waves of mobs (that spawnes from a lot of angles so noone could beat them for 1 hour).

Or the locked rooms could open some door to everentering enemies ? So as long as you don't unlock the doors you'll face endless waves of mobs (that spawnes from a lot of angles so noone could beat them for 1 hour).

-Side long glance at corpus MOA.- Yeah...Yeah they kind of already do that. They just haven't made it as terrible as it could be.

We haven't been mobbed like we could be by MOA in a lock down. I've had the amusing experience of soloing an area and having around 14-or-so MOA (Mostly regulars with four Shockwaves mixed in.) appearing in front of me at the STARTING POINT of the mission, complete with a Shield Osprey.

I...I don't want that in a lock down. I'm more for environmental hazards...

(Course I kind of also use lock downs to AFK in when I need to go do something, and I'm caught in the middle of playing? Soooo I'm probably a little bias. Heh.)