The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Dislike The New Quest/tenno Thing (Spoilers)

goatkid

And you keep letting the game tell you what you should be.

Edit: This advice in no way conflicts with the lore. As far as the "core" gameplay of Warframe goes, we are the Warframes.

Edit: You can also treat all conversations as between npc's.

So at the end, are we that kid or are we that heavily customized Warframe suited to our tastes? Don't let mere words tell you, the whole game experience gives you the answer.

We are and aren't the Warframes - it's not that hard to understand if you've seen Avatar, which is the closest equivalent to the idea that's been shown in the movies.

"Transference" is consciousness-transference.  Practically speaking, that means you get sensor/sensory feedback from this hunk of organic matter (probably "meat" that's got some aspect of infested to it) and metal and plastic, and you control it directly.

The effect is that you (as the Tenno) feel you are the Warframe.  Tenno and Warframe are one. 

IOW, it's NOT like you (as the Tenno) feel like a kid sitting in a pod playing a videogame and remotely controlling a "puppet".  It's more like this: you, the kid, the Tenno, no longer have a sense of yourself as the child sitting in the pod, your sense of yourself is that YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE THE WARFRAME.  That's why Lotus calls it a "lucid dream", and for a long time it felt really real to you because you had no knowledge of the reality (that you're a kid in an Orokin VR pod).

Excuse me? I'm pretty sure my post was not directed at you. And even if it was, I was specifically referring to the poster asking for a full retcon of the Second Dream. 

That's complete bias against the lore and currently ongoing plot, therefore it's wrong because it's at odds with what's objectively correct. Never did I say you had to like what's going on here, but the cat's out of the bag. 

That said, I really honestly don't know what you want from me, unless you wanted someone to vent over in which case my answer is pretty much the same as you have given me.

And yeah, it's 'opinions'.

no thats not what im talking about, you get respected with your own opinion, so respect others with theirs

I think that all the people that are upset about the idea of the Tenno should not be, after all they didn't even payed attention to the lore... so why give a F***?

Also remember this is their first appearance, and with this much uproar, they will make changes for the tenno to be more representative about the player playing, (you) 

Also how can being energy be more immersive than being someone?

Sigh

Why resist change, give unto the change guys 

Sigh

Because it's ambiguous enough to pretend to be energy.

Right now I'm a paralysed, millenia-old teenager with really funky hair - I find hard to see myself as this, because it's too descriptive. I'd much rather be unidentifiable, to keep some mystery, so that I can keep an identity that I can call my own.

I called this theory a long time ago but no one listened. This is my ultimate victory, no one has listened to my ramblings and now all shall suffer!

Hate to break your bubble, but many people expected an outcome like this or similar.

Hate to break your bubble, but many people expected an outcome like this or similar.

I was joking man. And actually i've laid it out ever since Ordis started saying Operator. But only a few took it seriously. Most were up for the shape-shifting or energy theory.

I was joking man. And actually i've laid it out ever since Ordis started saying Operator. But only a few took it seriously. Most were up for the shape-shifting or energy theory.

Same with the remote control theory.

The energy theory is pretty accurate too, actually. I mean, we may have physical form, but we are the batteries for the Warframes, and we fire laser beams.

Same with the remote control theory.

The energy theory is pretty accurate too, actually. I mean, we may have physical form, but we are the batteries for the Warframes, and we fire laser beams.

Laser beams are the best feature ingame, hands down.

IM FIRIN MAH LAZORS!!!

What do we theorize about next fellow forum users?

Edited by NyancraftG

The amount of expression overwhelmed me in this update.

It's simply too much for some people. Too much in one update.

Yeah that and it’s a bit meh, seriously it’s just not great. It reks immersion and adds another leveling tree to boot. Added to which the operator is Jar Jar Binks, we, tenno are all now Jar Jar Binks!!!

My forgotten, da Bosses will do terrible tings to me TERRRRRIBLE is me going back der!

God awful Child 'operator' with amazingly horrid mission quips

"That was a close one!" - while opening a crate....

"Archwing Ready!" - not an archwing mission...

"My Warframe is so strong"  -  GO DIE IN A FIRE you little immersion breaker!!!!

...Yes I've turned the kid off in options.

yes oh please yes

I think that all the people that are upset about the idea of the Tenno should not be, after all they didn't even payed attention to the lore... so why give a F***?

Also remember this is their first appearance, and with this much uproar, they will make changes for the tenno to be more representative about the player playing, (you) 

Sigh

Why resist change, give unto the change guys 

I’m thinking some change prolly should be resisted.

Edited by [DE]Danielle

Think it like this, the Warframes DO have a hero, a personification inside of them, they are no mere puppets, they are heroes, but they need a conductor(the Operators) that can work with the Essence of the Tenno, and make them come alive again in a way.

We still have to wait  to understand this new intel on the lore. The only bad thing was that it was just a little odd to end just like that, but I think its fair.

I mean, we may have physical form, but we are the batteries for the Warframes, and we fire laser beams.

Wasn't that every single theory ever?

It was pretty obvious that the Tenno power the frames, didn't matter which theory it was.

i like to think i control an operator with multiple personality desorder that control the waframes...

what pisses me off is that the operator doesnt think the same things i think about the lotus....

IM NOT LOYAL TO THE LOTUS STAPH TRYING TO BRAINWASH ME ¬¬

ill give her points for putting me in the chair tho...

Edited by Toppien

Think it like this, the Warframes DO have a hero, a personification inside of them, they are no mere puppets, they are heroes, but they need a conductor(the Operators) that can work with the Essence of the Tenno, and make them come alive again in a way.

We still have to wait  to understand this new intel on the lore. The only bad thing was that it was just a little odd to end just like that, but I think its fair.

I don't think this is right, the lore is pretty clear that the Warframes are actually puppets, constructs, just like the avatars in Avatar, only a bit more machine-like in some ways, as well as having an organic aspect similar to the Navi-bodied "puppets" used by the scientists.

The only question that's slightly open is whether the Warframe has some kind of rudimentary aliveness and consciousness, and whether this develops over time (over a period of long being "ridden" by a Tenno). It's not quite clear from the cinematic whether it's the Tenno being strangled by the Stalker that has just enough control left over the Warframe as he's being strangled, to make the Warframe break War to break the link between Hunhow and the Stalker, or whether it's the Warframe itself, with this hypothesized rudimentary sense of awareness and loyalty, that breaks War, or whether it's perhaps the Lotus momentarily controlling the frame (she has to be physically around nearby, so maybe it's possible).

But all the "heroic" quality Warframes might have is as a result of being "ridden" by a Tenno with a particular ideal.  Ember is first of all the Tenno who controlled that particular suit, thinking they were that Warframe. Then later the Warframe (the meaty mechanical thing) gets called "Ember" (as per Hoover becoming the name for vacuum cleaners in general).

Here's what's happening:-

IN APPEARANCE the Tenno is a humanoid hunk of (probably infested or technocyte) meat and metal, the strange monster that we see people having glimpses of in the lore.

IN REALITY the Tenno is a childlike superbeing sitting in a VR pod (just like the scientists do in Avatar), until recently hidden on the Moon in the Void, transmitting and receiving signals from a Warframe, in such a way that the Tenno thinks and believes (until this revelation) that they are that Warframe, IOW thinking and believing what everyone else believes, that the Tenno is the Warframe.  And there are a few of these childlike superbeings (as we see in the cinematic where the VR pods unflower - each of those VR pods houses a Tenno, a childlike superbeing. 

These are presumably the same VR pods that we've been told the Orokin were fond of spending their lives in.  In retrospect, this was a huge clue.

Loving the mental gymnastics the naysayers are pulling so they can have their head cannons back. For sure a psycho-analyst would have a field day with this one!

End of the day - Warframe was a fun game in a rudderless, shallow world with no soul or purpose. Now it isn't - you can accept that - or move on - those are your choices.

Expecting there to be options for all your personal headcanon is foolish - it's also a terrible idea. Good stories don't happen by committee - they come from one mind sticking to its vision - the rest of us should just shut up and appreciate it - respectfully.

You've got avenues for quibbling and feedback over every other aspect of the game and are welcome to use them - but if you want a decent story - best buckle up and ride along - cuz that's the only way to get one.

A psychoanalyst might see transference, regression and not a little fixation in your own position my friend.   ...if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. :3

Telling people how to behave/react might also be seen as a little foolish. If not arrogant - respectfully.

The headcanon argument might be easier for you to understand/perceive, indeed distinguish, if you were to take note of the FIRST DREAM. you know the dream that came, I don’t know, before the Second Dream. I feel the numbers make it obvious; but you know headcanon and all - respectfully.

There’s also an argument to be made that this decent story, might not be seen as the highly original, clever, thrilling and exhilarating ride you obviously identify. Some see there’s maybe a strictly by-the-numbers re-hash, with not a small amount of hackneyed gimmicks sprinkled in… There's a crisis, and our beloved child tenno are the only magical fairy people who can handle the problem;  - respectfully. However you see the big reveal, taking this route (The Second Dream) this far along in the game, literally years in, is particularly jarring to one's suspension of disbelief.

And options, for others not so happy with the change might not end your individual story/experience.

I’ll leave it there.

I guess the meaning of the quest is to reveal who is the one controlling the frames, and we still control them. The operator is just our own embodiment within the game. It is our own representation. Maybe the DE wanted us to be in ti the game that they created our own representation and let us customize the operator the way we want to be represented.

And also, tge thing within your warframe is the transference. It is that levitating thing that shows up whenever you use your focus ability.

Edited by killerzone02

I love everything about this U18 quest, the lore, gameplay & cinematics.

But!!

What threw me off is having some kind of "cancer like patient/a kid/ freaking Saitama" was the one behind the warframe, I don't mind the lore concept but Daffuq with the minimal creation?

If the tenno was an adult(somewhat like Lotus age) or mysterious being (like chepalon) then it's a different story which I was hoping actually.

But overall, kinda the best thing so far released by DE!

ok to all those guys who are angry wit the lore:

*please play the song of the second dream quest here*

this is a message...  to all those tenno... who cant accept... their own existence:...  Dream... not of what you are, but of what you want to be

Edited by mstriker