The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Build For Excalibur?

XtechPanda

Question

6 answers to this question

Here's my personal melee frame build, (Valkyr, Chroma, and Excalibur)

Aura: Steel Charge

Mods; (Prime) Flow, Constitution, Streamline, (Prime) Continuity, Intensify, Vitality, Steel Fiber, and Rage.

Note: I don't have Narrow Minded, but I would very much recommend it.

Edited by TaurusDeRoma

... Tell the recruiters to take a hike?

Find friends who make generalist and/or non-meta builds work and go nuts, you don't have to let them control how you build your frame, your playstyle should dictate that.

However, if you really want to know my build (Excalibur is my main frame), then here you go;

It'll take a couple Forma.

Aura; Rejuvenation.     Exilus; Handspring (Knockdowns are reduced to mildly annoying instead of lethal)

Steel Fiber. Armored Agility. Vitality. Vigor.

Intensify. Primed Flow. Streamline. Rage.

And to make this build work properly, put life strike on your melee weapon. I personally use a Galatine modded thus;

Stance; Tempo Royale (But Cleaving Whirlwind will work just as well)

True Steel. Berserker. Fury. Life Strike (ONLY the first rank unlocked! Don't fill those last two, they will EAT your energy!)

Pressure Point. Buzz Kill. Focus Energy. Volcanic Edge.

Gives you a fairly decent critical chance, and a speed boost that leaves most greatsword users envious, you can become a greatsword blender. Add in radiation damage, very high slash damage, and a more than passable 32% status chance, and you're disabling enemy auras, opening them up to take damage from their friends and their auras, and hitting them with the Galatine's naturally high damage plus slash... and you're going WAY faster than a greatsword should be able to.

I'm still waiting to get my paws on a Primed Fury... Then I will be greatsword blend-tech. >:3

Basic use; vanguard berserker. You're fast, hit like a sharpened truck, and anything they throw at you only makes you more powerful unless they one-shot you.

This is my build, Strong EB, OKish Radial Javelin, 15 sec Radial Blind

Aura: Corrosive Projection (Better than Steel Charge imo because it also helps 4 those T4 recruiting tab people)

Exilus: Handspring (if you use stretch instead of constitution)/ anything else otherwise

Vitality (maxed)

Rage (maxed)

Streamline (maxed)

Fleeting Expertise (Rank 4/5)

Transient Fortitude (maxed)

Intensify (maxed) **

Primed Continuity (maxed) to balance out your duration

Constitution (maxed) also to balance duration but has the added bonus of handspring effect. *

*You can replace Constitution with Stretch but I find that the added range isn't mandatory because Radial Blind/Javelin requires LOS so by the time an enemy that was out of range of blind reaches Excalibur you'll probably need to recast RB anyway

**You can also replace Intensify with Steel Fiber or any other mod like his Augments for flexibility. Transient Fortitude will still give you plenty of Power Str for EB

My melee setup is as follows:

Pressure Point

Life Strike (UNRANKED because Radial Blind + EB wave will heal you to full in 1 hit regardless)

Fury

Berserker

True Steel

Organ Shatter*

90% elemental mod

90% elemental mod (You can use Focus energy but using an unranked life strike the energy cost for channeling will already be at a low 7)

*You can also replace Organ Shatter with a third 90% elemental mod but I prefer Organ Shatter. The DPS will roughly be the same.

**Also for melee weapon mods I don't advise using Buzzkill because Exalted Blade damage is split evenly in Impact, Slash and Puncture based on wiki.

For arcanes I recommend any of the following:

Arcane Strike

Arcane Fury

Arcane Avenger

Arcane Phantasm (the other 3 are better IMO but EB auto-parries so this will proc frequently if you like the added movespeed.)

Edit: Arcane Trickery I tried once to combo with Radial Blind finishers but I feel the finisher animations are too slow to be of practical use and Arcane Trickery only has 10% chance to proc per finisher. Leave this Arcane to Ash. ^_^

Excalibur is practically immortal with EB and life strike if you play smart so I don't recommend Arcane Guardian,Grace or Barrier. He's a DPS frame, don't play him as a Tank.

All of this is based on my playtime and solo T4 Survival runs with Excalibur trying to find the most balanced build

Edited by Loki

Think this thread goes in Players helping Players;

**Also for melee weapon mods I don't advise using Buzzkill because Exalted Blade damage is split evenly in Impact, Slash and Puncture based on wiki.

For arcanes I recommend any of the following:

Arcane Strike

Arcane Fury

Arcane Avenger

Arcane Phantasm (the other 3 are better IMO but EB auto-parries so this will proc frequently if you like the added movespeed.)

Edit: Arcane Trickery I tried once to combo with Radial Blind finishers but I feel the finisher animations are too slow to be of practical use and Arcane Trickery only has 10% chance to proc per finisher. Leave this Arcane to Ash. ^_^

Excalibur is practically immortal with EB and life strike if you play smart so I don't recommend Arcane Guardian,Grace or Barrier. He's a DPS frame, don't play him as a Tank.

All of this is based on my playtime and solo T4 Survival runs with Excalibur trying to find the most balanced build

Slash Dash and Wave Blade are 70% Slash as opposed to Normal actual Exalted Blade Melee attacks

If you Wave Blade Blinded enemies or Slash Dash them, rather than single Target finishers: Buzz kill will Work

(Basically if you play Ranged Buzzkill will work)

I usually recommend 2 Melee Weapon builds: 1 With Corrosive and another with Viral.

Aura - Run Corrosive Projection - only real time you need an Aura is late-level stuff and only Armor is a hassle that late on.

I strongly agree with Loki in regards to Arcane:

Arcane Strike is very common and easy to obtain and the 20% melee attack speed boost negates Spoiled Strike's penalty.

If you have Avenger I would run Avenger on Syndana and Strike on Helm, otherwise Arcane Phantasm on Helm and Arcane Strike on Syndana.

Phantasm is rare compared to Strike, but it has perfect synergy with Exalted Blade.

Mods I would say are near essential:

Rage, Flow(Primed), Constitution(Or Exilus Handspring), Vitality, Continuity (Primed)

Then you can run Power-strength, Augment, Efficiency mods of your choice.

*Forgot to suggest Rapid Resilience: it is highly useful for reducing Magnetic effects/Armor ignoring Slash Bleed, Team Killing Radiation, HIvE Viral Procs(or power-fists if you are letting them punch you)

Limiting most Procs to a Single tick is more Damage protection from Status than using Steel Fiber/Vigor/Armored Agility*

Melee Weapon wise if you are set on Buzzkill for Slash Dash/Wave Blade: Use a Slash bias melee weapon

Pressure Point, 90% Elemental, 90% Elemental, Life-Strike, Berserker

Last 3 melee slots (Spoiled Strike of using Arcane Strike, Buzzkill if you want higher chance to Proc Bleed on Slash Dash & Wave Blade/60% Elemental contributing to Combined Elemental/90%Elemental different from combined Elemental/Primed Reach if you are actually meleeing and not Wave Blade spam/Organ Shatter goes well with Arcane Avenger/True Steel

(Corrosive + Heat or Viral+Electricity)*

Actual Radial Blind + Wave Blade makes Defensive Objective missions easy mode, since this is usually a huge downside to Melee.

Excalibur does every mission type easily.

(Melee with Ranged attack takes care of Damage, with Radial Blind cast doing the CC needed for pick-up and/or just breathing room/melee-DPS buff)

If Recruiters just assume you are a new Excalibur - they may not prefer you, but Excalibur can hold his own in any mission type and does not have an excessive mod-gate to be useful.

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

Think this thread goes in Players helping Players;

Slash Dash and Wave Blade are 70% Slash as opposed to Normal actual Exalted Blade Melee attacks

If you Wave Blade Blinded enemies or Slash Dash them, rather than single Target finishers: Buzz kill will Work

(Basically if you play Ranged Buzzkill will work)

I usually recommend 2 Melee Weapon builds: 1 With Corrosive and another with Viral.

Aura - Run Corrosive Projection - only real time you need an Aura is late-level stuff and only Armor is a hassle that late on.

I strongly agree with Loki in regards to Arcane:

Arcane Strike is very common and easy to obtain and the 20% melee attack speed boost negates Spoiled Strike's penalty.

If you have Avenger I would run Avenger on Syndana and Strike on Helm, otherwise Arcane Phantasm on Helm and Arcane Strike on Syndana.

Phantasm is rare compared to Strike, but it has perfect synergy with Exalted Blade.

Mods I would say are near essential:

Rage, Flow(Primed), Constitution(Or Exilus Handspring), Vitality, Continuity (Primed)

Then you can run Power-strength, Augment, Efficiency mods of your choice.

*Forgot to suggest Rapid Resilience: it is highly useful for reducing Magnetic effects/Armor ignoring Slash Bleed, Team Killing Radiation, HIvE Viral Procs(or power-fists if you are letting them punch you)

Limiting most Procs to a Single tick is more Damage protection from Status than using Steel Fiber/Vigor/Armored Agility*

Melee Weapon wise if you are set on Buzzkill for Slash Dash/Wave Blade: Use a Slash bias melee weapon

Pressure Point, 90% Elemental, 90% Elemental, Life-Strike, Berserker

Last 3 melee slots (Spoiled Strike of using Arcane Strike, Buzzkill if you want higher chance to Proc Bleed on Slash Dash & Wave Blade/60% Elemental contributing to Combined Elemental/90%Elemental different from combined Elemental/Primed Reach if you are actually meleeing and not Wave Blade spam/Organ Shatter goes well with Arcane Avenger/True Steel

(Corrosive + Heat or Viral+Electricity)*

Actual Radial Blind + Wave Blade makes Defensive Objective missions easy mode, since this is usually a huge downside to Melee.

Excalibur does every mission type easily.

(Melee with Ranged attack takes care of Damage, with Radial Blind cast doing the CC needed for pick-up and/or just breathing room/melee-DPS buff)

If Recruiters just assume you are a new Excalibur - they may not prefer you, but Excalibur can hold his own in any mission type and does not have an excessive mod-gate to be useful.

Hmm... I never knew that about Exalted Blade's waves. I knew about Slash Dash being mainly Slash. I didn't touch on Slash Dash in my post, It's an extremely useful skill. Still Buzzkill will only be more useful on x4 Corrosive Projection teams. As I mainly experiment with my builds on solo T4 survival I don't get x4 corrosive a lot. Nice to know though. I might experiment with it.

EDIT: Also I agree with what MrNishi said about Recruiters. I get the feeling it's probably because recruiters see that you're new. When I join any game as Excalibur, I never get questioned about my build or why I'm bringing Excalibur because most people take a look at my Mastery Rank and don't question it. Excalibur is viable in any game mode period.

Lastly about Slash Dash. This is mainly to complete my previous post for all aspiring Excaliburs. Slash Dash is one of the most useful 1st abilities in the game. It scales with your melee mods like Exalted Blade so it's damage is really good for the energy cost. In high level missions I mostly use it as a mobility tool and as utility because your health pool is invincible while Slash Dashing. See an Explosion coming your way? Slash Dash! Lasers preventing you from passing easily? Slash Dash! Bombard rockets nearing and you have no time to bullet jump? Slash Dash!

Hope my post helps TC and all other Newbie Excaliburs out there.

Edited by Loki

Hmm... I never knew that about Exalted Blade's waves. I knew about Slash Dash being mainly Slash. I didn't touch on Slash Dash in my post, It's an extremely useful skill. Still Buzzkill will only be more useful on x4 Corrosive Projection teams. As I mainly experiment with my builds on solo T4 survival I don't get x4 corrosive a lot. Nice to know though. I might experiment with it.

EDIT: Also I agree with what MrNishi said about Recruiters. I get the feeling it's probably because recruiters see that you're new. When I join any game as Excalibur, I never get questioned about my build or why I'm bringing Excalibur because most people take a look at my Mastery Rank and don't question it. Excalibur is viable in any game mode period.

Lastly about Slash Dash. This is mainly to complete my previous post for all aspiring Excaliburs. Slash Dash is one of the most useful 1st abilities in the game. It scales with your melee mods like Exalted Blade so it's damage is really good for the energy cost. In high level missions I mostly use it as a mobility tool and as utility because your health pool is invincible while Slash Dashing. See an Explosion coming your way? Slash Dash! Lasers preventing you from passing easily? Slash Dash! Bombard rockets nearing and you have no time to bullet jump? Slash Dash!

Hope my post helps TC and all other Newbie Excaliburs out there.

Buzzkill can be useful without 4xCP just because on WaveBlade you can increase the likelihood of landing a Bleed Proc.

Best thing about Wave Blade Bleed Procs...

Bleed Procs ignore Armor & DoT's applied by melee get boosted by both melee combo multiplier and Stealth melee multiplier

You can channel Life-Strike when a melee applied DoT is ticking on an enemy for a free* heal

If you have an active Bleed Proc on an enemy and then cast Radial Blind/Savage Silence/Paralysis/Rest/Cloud Walker (I assume Smoke Screen/Invisibility) the damage increases.

DoT build like Toxin or Gas(AoE Toxin with Radial Blind to boost Toxin Proc is great for Life-Strike DoT healing without Life-Strike draining energy)