Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers] Polluted Waters Question (Description Makes Little To No Sense)

HalfDarkShadow

Question

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but the description reads:

"Mending Tides will instantly revive fallen allies, but has a 95% chance to inflict them with Viral and Magnetic damage."

So many questions here:

1. Why in the world would anyone use this to begin with? If it inflicts Viral and Magnetic damage to your allies, why use it in the first place over New Moon? As far as I'm aware of, this is the only skill out of EVERY other Focus that has a severe down side. Why put it there in the first place? Even without the damage, it's still redundant, as already stated New Moon already instantly revives allies.

It's not like you need Polluted Waters in order to advance down the skill tree, as it's the last one for that branch.

2. For those who can use Polluted Water and hypothetically (since I have no idea) what it actually does is give you Viral and Magnetic damage to your weapons, then why didn't they just say that? Inflict, by EVERY sense of the word, does not have any positive implications of the slightest.

I mean hell, just Googling it and seeing the first definition it provides via "cause (something unpleasant or painful) to be suffered by someone or something".

a. Going back to what I was asking, why would they use inflict, out of literally....any other word they can use to convey that allies can receive additional elemental damage to their weapons. Just use the word "add" like they already have with their elemental (1st ability) augments for some of the Warframes

I don't personally believe this is what it's supposed to do or what they meant to say, based on the Augment mods example alone.

Sorry for the bluntness, as it was not my intention. I'm just scratching my head how to make any sense out of this. If what I'm reading is accurate, why is this even an ability in the first place? I usually don't question these kind of additions and/or changes, as how certain changes and/or features can be perceived differently, but who actually thought this was a good idea to implement this as an ability? Not throwing any jabs, I'm just really confused as it's just the only negative ability from all the other Focus schools with it's only positive effect (via instant revival) already mitigated by New Moon that does the exact same thing with zero downsides, and it costs significantly less Focus and time to get it anyway.

If it's the latter though, then they seriously need to change the wording, as inflict doesn't at all mean what they think it means.

Thanks again if you can help clarify this for me before deciding how I want to spend my Focus on down the road!

Cheers!~ (:

Edited by HalfDarkShadow

5 answers to this question

Agreed. If the description is wrong- it needs to say And instead of But, and adds instead of inflicts. If the description is not wrong, you're literally investing for the sole purpose of hurting your abilities and team. DE kinda... botched quite a bit of the focus stuff- but it's beta. 

Agreed. If the description is wrong- it needs to say And instead of But, and adds instead of inflicts. If the description is not wrong, you're literally investing for the sole purpose of hurting your abilities and team. DE kinda... botched quite a bit of the focus stuff- but it's beta. 

DE did a fine job especially in their resent patch where some passives last 5 seconds, the balance is great, your just a scrub.

BTW, this was a joke.

Edited by Kiyryite

As I understand it, New Moon gives you a 'charge' after using MT that allows you to instantly revive a friend. Only once per MT cast per rank.

Likely Polluted Waters will allow the actual MT pulses to revive teammates; the downside being that they spawn in with crippled health and shields. Still, I'd rather be revived with a debuff than waiting on someone to come over and revive me - better than nothing.

I'm speculating on Polluted Waters, but I'm pretty sure that's how New Moon works - again, MT doesn't provide the revive, just gives you the ability to revive a teammate instantly. PW would (if it works the way I'd think) still be useful for picking up multiple people (especially if Mending Shower benefits the revive range) while healing whoever's left alive. Seems like a good emergency ability to have during a potential wipe.

Edit: Viral/Magnetic damage doesn't necessarily mean the proc, maybe they just revive with less health and/or shields than a normal revive.

Edited by Darzk