The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is The Majority Of Damage On War, Impact?

(PSN)Redemption_015

regular one handed swords are in the range of 800 g to around 1.2 kilo maximum 

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm#.Vm613XarSUk 

We have plenty of historical blades still preserved from both medieval times and later. The Swedish Royal Armory, at Stockholm. have several of them from different ages. 

None of them are unwieldy or heavy to use

A standard wooden bokken is more unwieldy then these swords. 

European swords can be sharpen just as well as a katana and cuts paper and silk just as well. 

For those that doubt this i suggest that you watch some test cut videos  by the likes of ThegnThrand who tests weapon against gambasson and various armors. 

regular one handed swords are in the range of 800 g to around 1.2 kilo maximum 

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm#.Vm613XarSUk 

We have plenty of historical blades still preserved from both medieval times and later. The Swedish Royal Armory, at Stockholm. have several of them from different ages. 

None of them are unwieldy or heavy to use

A standard wooden bokken is more unwieldy then these swords. 

European swords can be sharpen just as well as a katana and cuts paper and silk just as well. 

For those that doubt this i suggest that you watch some test cut videos  by the likes of ThegnThrand who tests weapon against gambasson and various armors. 

Wooden swords are usually heavier than real ones to strengthen muscles and get the body used to the movements. If you can do them right with a wooden sword, a real one will feel light.

People assume that a sword has to be heavy, but that was often counterproductive. A ceremonial weapon will often be INSANELY heavy, sometimes as much as 20 kilos! But you are not generally going to be hitting people with a 'ceremonial' sword or 'bearing' mace. That is not their purpose. They are symbols. Often of the weight of responsibility.

A true combat sword is light, fast and designed to allow it's cutting surface -edge or point- the greater freedom. Because that it it's purpose, not to bash but to cut or pierce. You don't NEED excessive mass for such and too much mass will tire you out fast. That usually makes you dead. Speed wins FAR more sword combats in my experience and reading than strength although strength has it's place.

Don't get me wrong. Facing a true master of the two handed weapon -Eastern or European- is TERRIFYING. Because some of them can make a 5-7 kilo weapon dance like a rapier. Ouch.

Edited by Kalenath

true and getting into a free form kata with a bokken is punishing as it is. 

We have medieval fairs here in sweden and the chance to test medieval replicas of both weapons and armors. 

The balance of those swords are superb and makes them far easier to handle then my bokken or shinai  ever will be. 

Fun fact: chain mail is far worse to wear then full plate armor due to how the weight of the armor is distributed over your body. 

true and getting into a free form kata with a bokken is punishing as it is. 

We have medieval fairs here in sweden and the chance to test medieval replicas of both weapons and armors. 

The balance of those swords are superb and makes them far easier to handle then my bokken or shinai  ever will be. 

Fun fact: chain mail is far worse to wear then full plate armor due to how the weight of the armor is distributed over your body. 

I NEVER want to wear chain again. Ever. Put me in full plate in full summer all day with no cloak or surcoat! Please! Hell, I will wear padded armor with no metal! JUST NOT CHAIN!

Just the memory of learning to FALL in it hurts.

Edited by Kalenath

I NEVER want to wear chain again. Ever. Put me in full plate in full summer all day with no cloak or surcoat! Please! Hell, I will wear padded armor with no metal! JUST NOT CHAIN!

Just the memory of learning to FALL in it hurts.

why folding it up and extending in in your hands to a none suspecting person is not fun at all ;) not that i would know that.

But yeah i agree my shoulders hurts just thinking about it.