The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Returning Noob(Ish) Needs Help Picking A Mid-Game Primary To Potato

jpgil_galad

Question

I recently picked Warframe back up after a long hiatus brought about by burning out around Ceres.  My current primary is a Braton that I potatoed long, long ago (I know.....), so I'm in desperate need of an upgrade since the Braton is starting  to stall around level 25ish.

I've also built and played with the Latron, Paris, and Bolter, but don't have Catalysts to spare (only two sitting around right now).  Didn't much care for the Boltor, but enjoyed the Latron and Paris.  I'm MR5 going on 6, mostly solo, don't have a clan and can't quite handle the higher tiers in the Void (Tower II is about my limit), so research items and primes are mostly out of reach for now.

I've got most of the basic, "essential" rifle mods (serration, split chamber, most of the elementals, except tox), but am a bit more lacking in some of the warframe and shotgun mods that the RNG hasn't seen fit to bless me with.  For frames, I've got potatoed Excal, Loki, and Rhino with reactors to spare.

So what are some good, versatile workhorse primaries, worth a potato, to carry me up through the mid-game until I'm able to handle the Void and grab some primes?  I've been considering the Soma, and the Hek, or possibly the Tiberon.  Or would I be better off just grinding away with the Braton (and ranking up my mods) until I can find a more end-game viable prime to potato?

7 answers to this question

Since you're almost already to 6, just sit on the tater until then.  Soma (Prime if you can get your hands on it) is pretty much the definition of a reliable workhorse.  Crit based hit scan auto rifle with a huge clip.  The Hek, with the Steel Meridian syndicate augment, is also endgame worthy, but if you don't have the mods for it, I'd definitely recommend the Soma. 

Edit:  Yes yes Tonkor tonkor tonkor.  Everyone needs a reliable hitscan in their arsenal though.

Edited by (PS4)Cwellann

If you're MR5, get Tonkor as fast as you can.

Only a MR5 weapon and is endgame.

Does the Tonkor have enough ammo economy to be viable for a solo player as a primary weapon without specialized ammo mods?  40 rounds of sniper ammo seems a little slim, and I haven't managed to get a hold of sniper scavenger or sniper ammo mutation.  Never really used a sniper-ammo weapon before.

Edit: Google reveals the answer?  Tonkor uses Rifle Ammo Mutation?

Edited by jpgil_galad