Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Question] Slide + Melee Spam?

Vyra

I can do that much faster, and only pressing 2 buttons.

But that was before I reset; I now have no weapons that actually properly do it now.

Maybe when I upgrade to masters I'll get fang or dual ethers just for that.

Edited by austinrelis

Plugging in an Xbox controller makes it a lot easier to handle and control but I hate how it just propels you forward super fast. I use it with Kunai since the Kunai actually negates the super speed from the attack allowing for better control to actually use it to KILL People >_>

Cue the bads that can't figure this out complaining to get anything that's remotely challenging hotfixed. Animation canceling and "exploits" like this add depth to the game beyond just regular, boring controls.

The problem isn't that it's "hard" (like tf2 rocket/sticky jumping can be) but that you can use it to speed run through a level, while killing stuff. I'm PRETTY DANG SURE the devs didn't intend this to happen. Meanwhile in TF2 you have "jumper" weapons to "teach" you how to do the special jumps, because they allow you to speed around the map, but it doesn't directly help you kill everything in your way. (there is very little downside to doing the slide exploit compared to just sprinting through the map/gunning minus the resource drops)

The problem isn't that it's "hard" (like tf2 rocket/sticky jumping can be) but that you can use it to speed run through a level, while killing stuff. I'm PRETTY DANG SURE the devs didn't intend this to happen. Meanwhile in TF2 you have "jumper" weapons to "teach" you how to do the special jumps, because they allow you to speed around the map, but it doesn't directly help you kill everything in your way. (there is very little downside to doing the slide exploit compared to just sprinting through the map/gunning minus the resource drops)

If you're killing things with spin attacks while speed running then you should probably stop farming Mercury. Also, what is the advantage of killing low level mobs as you pass by? Speed running low level missions is probably the worst possible way to get ANYTHING in this game, other than perhaps rare mats from boss runs.

If you're killing things with spin attacks while speed running then you should probably stop farming Mercury. Also, what is the advantage of killing low level mobs as you pass by? Speed running low level missions is probably the worst possible way to get ANYTHING in this game, other than perhaps rare mats from boss runs.

But that's what the game is! farming! Now, having something to help speed up boss runs isn't bad (i.e. rush, marathon, quick rest, etc) but at the same time, this moves you faster than you are supposed to, and the slide attack might not be a lot of damage, but you can clear enemies with it (true, special circumstances like a fire mod/slashing weapon vs infested)

Cue the bads that can't figure this out complaining to get anything that's remotely challenging hotfixed. Animation canceling and "exploits" like this add depth to the game beyond just regular, boring controls.

Pretty much.

"Oh no! The secret club of elite Tenno won't teach me that amazing mobility technique! Surely this maneuver is 100% impossible, and they all bear malicious programming to assist them in such a task. If I can't enjoy this, no one will! If I spend $250 on this game, surely they shall hear my plea!"

You're like the people in TF2 (and other shooters) that think the mobility meta (such as air strafing) is broken because you're too ignorant to learn. Even if they fix it, we'll still use it regardless of benefit, even if it slows us down. We would forever honor the days of sanic speeds, because we are true gamers. I mean, if you're really this big of a casual you might as well go back to Nintendogs. Hand in your gamer card while you're at it.

I wall-run.

Pressing the same series of buttons repeatedly doesn't take skill or require much creativity to utilize, it's takes practice. Just like rolling a coin over your knuckles, no skill, just practice. They can both be done by anyone, barring any disabilities.

Pretty much.

"Oh no! The secret club of elite Tenno won't teach me that amazing mobility technique! Surely this maneuver is 100% impossible, and they all bear malicious programming to assist them in such a task. If I can't enjoy this, no one will! If I spend $250 on this game, surely they shall hear my plea!"

You're like the people in TF2 (and other shooters) that think the mobility meta (such as air strafing) is broken because you're too ignorant to learn. Even if they fix it, we'll still use it regardless of benefit, even if it slows us down. We would forever honor the days of sanic speeds, because we are true gamers. I mean, if you're really this big of a casual you might as well go back to Nintendogs. Hand in your gamer card while you're at it.

ahhh great argument, insult people, what a wonderful person you are.

edit: I'm not against learning skills if they're intended and not "exploits/bugs" (like rocket jumping/bunny hopping), BUT THEY DON'T CONVEY DAMAGE/POWER you can jump all you want, but if you can't hit anything what's the point?

With the slide melee, you go within a few feet of them (in game measurements) and you hit them. Doesn't matter on what side they are (left, right, in front, behind, etc) you hit them. That's not a whole lot of skill. Rocket jumping IS skillful, and is "easy" to learn, difficult to master.

Edited by KvotheTheArcane1

I bet you, if you played GunZ, you would have wanted all the "exploits" fixed too.

GunZ has a horrible community. It never grew because new players and actual guns couldn't compete with the sword styles and those who utilized the styles were too elitist for any semblance of kindness and respect.

I'm interested in seeing how GunZ 2 turns out since it's done away with the styles completely.

I bet you, if you played GunZ, you would have wanted all the "exploits" fixed too.

Maybe, I have no idea what "exploits" are in gunz, but I'm interested in WF and have heard gunz's community SUUUUCKS. If a slash attack does 100 damage with max damage mods here's what you get (before resistances, armor ignore, and slashing damage, and innate damage type from heatswords/mire/amphis and more damaging weapons):

142 (from pressure point) + (142 * .9 (from molten impact) + (142 * .6 from north wind) + (142 * .9 from sunder strike) + (142 * .3 from shocking touch) = ~525 damage, FOR EACH slash dash (before resistances, armor ignore, and slashing damage, and innate damage type from heatswords/mire/amphis)

All for the cost of 9 (PP) + 11 (MI) + 11 (NW) + 7 (SS) + 11 (ST) or a total 49 mod points. While it might be a lot, I bet most people would invest in a cata for their melee weapon if they wanted to just slash dash their way through.

You could reduce the damage and mod cost by dropping shocking touch (which is weak) so you get 482.8 (483) and 38 pt, so drop another mod depending on who you're fighting (Ice vs grineer I think, fire vs corpus because of the 2X vs shields)

That beats most guns, and you STILL can close the gap pretty fast while killing stuff in between and the target.

Sidenote: Did you ever play GunZ?

Maybe, I have no idea what "exploits" are in gunz, but I'm interested in WF and have heard gunz's community SUUUUCKS. If a slash attack does 100 damage with max damage mods here's what you get (before resistances, armor ignore, and slashing damage, and innate damage type from heatswords/mire/amphis and more damaging weapons):

142 (from pressure point) + (142 * .9 (from molten impact) + (142 * .6 from north wind) + (142 * .9 from sunder strike) + (142 * .3 from shocking touch) = ~525 damage, FOR EACH slash dash (before resistances, armor ignore, and slashing damage, and innate damage type from heatswords/mire/amphis)

All for the cost of 9 (PP) + 11 (MI) + 11 (NW) + 7 (SS) + 11 (ST) or a total 49 mod points. While it might be a lot, I bet most people would invest in a cata for their melee weapon if they wanted to just slash dash their way through.

You could reduce the damage and mod cost by dropping shocking touch (which is weak) so you get 482.8 (483) and 38 pt, so drop another mod depending on who you're fighting (Ice vs grineer I think, fire vs corpus because of the 2X vs shields)

That beats most guns, and you STILL can close the gap pretty fast while killing stuff in between and the target.

Sidenote: Did you ever play GunZ?

Yes, I played it extensively. The community means nothing, since the game wasn't based around community demeanor. Point being, "exploits" that usually involve creative use of mechanics aren't hurting anyone, everyone has the potential to use them, and they add something to the game other than just spraying into the big mobs.

Also, you're not accounting for ease-of-use and general DPS. Sword sliding is still not an effective way to take out groups of enemies effectively in any mission above 35, since it's difficult to control and follow-up attacks are unreliable and dangerous against anything other than Corpus Crew-members.

Edited by BabyInTheGlovebox

Yes, I played it extensively. The community means nothing, since the game wasn't based around community. Point being, "exploits" that usually involve creative use of mechanics aren't hurting anyone, everyone has the potential to use them, and they add something to the game other than just spraying into the big mobs.

Also, you're not accounting for ease-of-use and general DPS. Sword sliding is still not an effective way to take out groups of enemies effectively in any mission above 35, since it's difficult to control and follow-up attacks are unreliable and dangerous against anything other than Corpus Crew-members.

Yes, I played it extensively. The community means nothing, since the game wasn't based around community.

Ah, ok explains it. (And community ALWAYS means something, be it for new players looking for advice, or old players looking for a game group/clan/guild/team/etc, or the community being so toxic that no new players start playing and older players start leaving)

Point being, "exploits" that usually involve creative use of mechanics aren't hurting anyone, everyone has the potential to use them, and they add something to the game other than just spraying into the big mobs.

Sure, melee DOES add something to the game, but should it be better than guns? No, it should be about even, and grats to whoever figured this out at first (doesn't stop me from hating it, but grats on being so clever/skilled/bringing a concept from another game into this one/etc) Another big difference is that TF2 rocket jumping/sticky/pill/cannon jumping was PLANNED and also doesn't generally provide a good amount of damage to deal with enemies.

Also, you're not accounting for ease-of-use and general DPS.

Ah, people have been saying with a little practice, and some rebinding, you can do it with 2 keys, sounds easy enough to learn.

Sword sliding is still not an effective way to take out groups of enemies effectively in any mission above 35, since it's difficult to control and follow-up attacks are unreliable and dangerous against anything other than Corpus Crew-members.

But you ARE hitting the entire group/staggering them with the right weapon/running right past them and out of sight (I also assume that slide dash is ever better on loki/ash while invis due to their extra damage, and the fact that they avoid a lot of damage while in it)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a "nerf" to the slide melee, or it's damage. What I do want is some sort of cooldown/limit to how often it can be done.

The community means nothing in an online game? Without the community, you don't have a game. Players are content, without them you have nothing to play with or against.

I think some people expected GunZ to actually have something to do with GunZ, only to find out that that wasn't the case. Don't try to say that these exploits don't hurt people when people use them to make others feel lower and push them away. Just look at this thread for a good example of that.

The community means nothing in an online game? Without the community, you don't have a game. Players are content, without them you have nothing to play with or against.

I think some people expected GunZ to actually have something to do with GunZ, only to find out that that wasn't the case. Don't try to say that these exploits don't hurt people when people use them to make others feel lower and push them away. Just look at this thread for a good example of that.

First two posts in the thread:

Macros

edit:

Boy do I hate him for abusing that.

and

Use toggle -crouch, have a comfortable keyboard, practice.

It's not looking to me like it's people in favour of slide-melee trying to make others feel lower and push them away.

And try to keep in mind that Warframe isn't the only game that was being discussed.

Pretty much.