Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Thoughts On Undertale

TheErebus.

Note: All of what I have written is entirely subjective. If you disagree with me, then leave a constructive reply. Being a jerk only makes you look like the idiot here.

If you've seen any of my posts since Undertale came out, then you probably think I hate the game. 

I actually don't hate it. Before I played it (still playing it) I didn't really care for the game, it was the community I hated (because of how condescending they are if you say you aren't interested in the title). But now that I have played the game, here are my thoughts:

I find it incredibly overrated, but it is not a bad game. 

Gameplay: The gameplay varies (for me) to either extremely fun and intuitive or incredibly frustrating. It varies so much because every enemy has their own unique attack pattern, and then when you mix together multiple enemies it spawns an insane attack every turn. Sometimes it's fun but other times I really dislike it.

The bosses are fun as well (EXCEPT FOR MUFFET WHO CAN GO DIE IN A FIRE FOR ALL I CARE)

Graphics: I can't really say much on the graphics, it's a pixelated game, but for what it's worth it looks good. 

Story: I've made it to

Mettaton Ex

but so far I'm not really interested in the story. But that's not what the game is about, because a lot of people love the characters. 

I don't.

I find a lot of them to be either uninteresting or just flat out annoying. The only characters that I like are Papyrus and Mad Dummy. I like Papyrus because he's such a lovable idiot, and I love Mad Dummy because I can't stop laughing at the way his face changes during the boss fight.

But everyone else...yeah I don't like 'em. I don't like Goatmom, I don't like Sans, I find Alphys to be bane of my existence and I don't care that much for Undyne, other than I liked her better when she kept the helmet on.

But like I said, I haven't finished it yet so it is subject to change. 

Music: I love it. There are so many tracks that I listen to outside of the game, hell I play this when I'm playing Killing Floor 2.

Conclusion: Undertale is not a perfect game. Undertale is not a horrible game. 

It is overrated (in my eyes) but I do have fun whilst I'm playing it.

Note: All of what I have written is entirely subjective. If you disagree with me, then leave a constructive reply. Being a jerk only makes you look like the idiot here.

If you've seen any of my posts since Undertale came out, then you probably think I hate the game. 

I actually don't hate it. Before I played it (still playing it) I didn't really care for the game, it was the community I hated (because of how condescending they are if you say you aren't interested in the title). But now that I have played the game, here are my thoughts:

I find it incredibly overrated, but it is not a bad game. 

Gameplay: The gameplay varies (for me) to either extremely fun and intuitive or incredibly frustrating. It varies so much because every enemy has their own unique attack pattern, and then when you mix together multiple enemies it spawns an insane attack every turn. Sometimes it's fun but other times I really dislike it.

The bosses are fun as well (EXCEPT FOR MUFFET WHO CAN GO DIE IN A FIRE FOR ALL I CARE)

Graphics: I can't really say much on the graphics, it's a pixelated game, but for what it's worth it looks good. 

Story: I've made it to

Mettaton Ex

but so far I'm not really interested in the story. But that's not what the game is about, because a lot of people love the characters. 

I don't.

I find a lot of them to be either uninteresting or just flat out annoying. The only characters that I like are Papyrus and Mad Dummy. I like Papyrus because he's such a lovable idiot, and I love Mad Dummy because I can't stop laughing at the way his face changes during the boss fight.

But everyone else...yeah I don't like 'em. I don't like Goatmom, I don't like Sans, I find Alphys to be bane of my existence and I don't care that much for Undyne, other than I liked her better when she kept the helmet on.

But like I said, I haven't finished it yet so it is subject to change. 

Music: I love it. There are so many tracks that I listen to outside of the game, hell I play this when I'm playing Killing Floor 2.

Conclusion: Undertale is not a perfect game. Undertale is not a horrible game. 

It is overrated (in my eyes) but I do have fun whilst I'm playing it.

I don't know. I feel Undertale extremely repulsive for some reasons.

Probably, (not true, just my opinion), the game reflects socially awkward people, and they feel themselves while playing the game. I for once is quite shy in real life, but I am not depressed. Playing it makes me feel like an overly emo kid, it feels like this is not the kind of character I want to be.

Finish it. You must! There is a reason why its highly praised. I'm just curious to what route you're planning to go.

Neutral. I already killed like 2 Froggits. But I'm sparing every boss I can come across (unless it's Alphys, in which case I WILL ABSOLUTELY MURDER HER)

Neutral. I already killed like 2 Froggits. But I'm sparing every boss I can come across (unless it's Alphys, in which case I WILL ABSOLUTELY MURDER HER)

I did neutral the first time around, the game just reminded me of Earthbound and Mother 3 so much I just love it. The creator made a Halloween rom hack for Earthbound back in the day too.

But I agreed with your thing about it being overrated, didn't really see the huuuge thing about it.

But then friends kept telling me "Do the pacifist run, OR I WILL END YOUR LIFE!"

They didn't say that BTW, they just told me that it was the true ending and I was like why not, more content I didn't experience.

Then I became Undertale trash and I beat up my friends because they made me trash.

I didn't beat them up

I did neutral the first time around, the game just reminded me of Earthbound and Mother 3 so much I just love it. The creator made a Halloween rom hack for Earthbound back in the day too.

But I agreed with your thing about it being overrated, didn't really see the huuuge thing about it.

But then friends kept telling me "Do the pacifist run, OR I WILL END YOUR LIFE!"

They didn't say that BTW, they just told me that it was the true ending and I was like why not, more content I didn't experience.

Then I became Undertale trash and I beat up my friends because they made me trash.

I didn't beat them up

I'm probably not going to keep playing it once I'm done. 

When I first saw Undertale, I shrugged it off and didn't pay attention. I had seen people compare it to things like Earthbound/Mother, but for some reason even that didn't catch my attention.

On a random whimsy, I watched the first two episode of the Game Grumps' playthrough of it. I ended up liking it, bought it for myself, and played through it four times, once for each ending to truly experience it as the developer intended, as well as to see the different outcomes and see how previous playthroughs affect future ones. I really like it, but I don't think it lives up to the hype it has created, but it's still a pretty good game nonetheless.

My only two issues were:

First, It never really, properly builds up the boss fights. Like the boss fight mechanics never feel properly introduced, they just show up without any sort of proper introduction and training, with the only exceptions being Mettaton and Asgore. I mean, they're not really too difficult to begin with, but there's this huge jump in pacing when they jump the new mechanic on you.

However, given the existence of a certain character, I get the feeling this is a result of time constraint and not necessarily a fault. I'll just say Alphys and Mettaton feel like they're rushed, and have very shallow characteristics, which leads me to believe there was probably something else in their place before their creation.

Second, there's no true reset. Once you've done the unrelenting violence route, there's no way to reset that, and I think that's flawed because it means the game has a replay value of four total times, and then you'll never want to touch it again it because you never truly play the game fresh. A system should have been implemented to completely nullify any previous playthroughs.

In fact, there's a character that could have been used as an outlet to meet those ends, but his potential went unmet.

Outside of that, though, I like how meta the game is. Immersion is all well and good, but a game that can break it and remind the player all the time that they are not what they play in a creative way is something I like. So yeah, I'd say it's good, but I'd agree it's not what the hype makes it out to be.

Edited by Krion112

I'm probably not going to keep playing it once I'm done.

I'm pretty sure once you get past Mettaton. Things will change your mind. Since Neutral is like 25% of the game.

If not, Ah well, can't change everyone's mind. :)

Feel free to update the post though if ya want, I'm curious honestly.

Off topic- Gotta love Killing floor 2 though. Major fan of the series dating back when it was just a mod.

Sadly, they disabled the fluid flex blood effects :(

Edited by KJRenz

Off topic- Gotta love Killing floor 2 though. Major fan of the series dating back when it was just a mod.

Sadly, they disabled the fluid flex blood effects :(

THAT MADE ME SO UPSET. LIKE I ADORED Nvidia FLEX. 

IT MADE EVERYTHING FEEL SO GOOD

-snip-

Actually, Immersion is another thing. I'm not immersed in the game at all. Everytime I play it I always think to myself "It's just a game", whereas in every other game that made me feel immersed I always felt like I was the character I'm playing. 

THAT MADE ME SO UPSET. LIKE I ADORED Nvidia FLEX.

IT MADE EVERYTHING FEEL SO GOOD

I KNOW RIGHT? LIKE TRIPEWIRE, THANKS FOR BRINGING THE PATRIARCH BACK WITH THE NEW COOL UPDATE BUT..... WHERE'S FLEX?!

Actually, Immersion is another thing. I'm not immersed in the game at all. Everytime I play it I always think to myself "It's just a game", whereas in every other game that made me feel immersed I always felt like I was the character I'm playing.

Ah I see. Understandable.

The story itself unfolds later on, slight maybe? Perhaps?

Edited by KJRenz

Ah I see. Understandable.

The story itself unfolds later on, slight maybe? Perhaps?

It's not really the story, it's that...the kid (I think it's name is Frisk). I feel no connection between me and him. 

I KNOW RIGHT? LIKE TRIPEWIRE, THANKS FOR BRINGING THE PATRIARCH BACK WITH THE NEW COOL UPDATE BUT..... WHERE'S FLEX?!

THEY BETTER BRING IT BACK OR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL FLIP OUT.

or bring the Sharpshooter perk into the game. Like I love that perk (But Medic is still best perk <3)

It's not really the story, it's that...the kid (I think it's name is Frisk). I feel no connection between me and him.

Just one of those silent protagonists ya know.

THEY BETTER BRING IT BACK OR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL FLIP OUT.

or bring the Sharpshooter perk into the game. Like I love that perk (But Medic is still best perk <3)

Ah Sharpshooter. Please, mighty need for the lever action rifle.

I'm curious to see how that unimplemented perk deck would play out, SWAT. Someone mentioned it being tanky.

Ah Sharpshooter. Please, mighty need for the lever action rifle.

I'm curious to see how that unimplemented perk deck would play out, SWAT. Someone mentioned it being tanky.

SWAT makes me think of the Commando perk but with SWAT gear on. 

Boy would that be weird.