Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"anti-Matter Themed New Warframe"

Kcoyle4795

Ninjas used guns.

Anyway, the theme of the frame doesnt really show how exactly a frame might turn out because when info was released about a sound frame and a poison frame i jumped on the sound frame wagon from the start cause i had my ideas of what that might be like but when they were released i ended up switching views and liking the poison frame more.

This guy may turn out good but the theme is kind of strange, hek, the top two themes were strange.

The top 2 themes were strange.

But hell, necro was more plausible than antimatter.

But an energy release from an antimatter bullet making contact with the air, would be about. 0.01*(3x10^8)^2 if you assumed the bullet had a mass of 10 grams.

2*0.01*(3x10^8)^2 Joules actually, you're forgetting the other half of the annihilation material. Also the dimension :p

Antimatter Shield... I can't stop laughing.

Maybe the Antimatter shield is an amount of antimatter released around you that if it's touched by anything it explodes back dealing a certain amount of damage. It's basically an offensive shield.

Let's use our imagination!

Imaginaaation.

Imaginaaaaaaaaaaaaation.

Imaginaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaation!

Edited by Mak_Gohae

Yeah everyone's saying science fiction, blah blah blah, but if you're going to use a scientific principle, then you have to find a way to make it work, even on a base level.

And if they're going to implement something called anti-matter which turns out to be something completely different and unrelated, then I'd still have beef, but I wouldn't mind AS MUCH.

If they do implement something like I've said above, then they should at least rename it something more appropriate

How can antimatter improve shields? If the shields are in anyway particulate, the shields would annihilate.

Antimatter can create explosions yeah, but it depends in what way you'd be using it. If it's a weapon with anti-matter munitions, or a antimatter blade or something, that'd cause such an insane explosion on contact, it'd destroy the entire ship. And probably hit the planet. Even if you missed.

In what way can Antimatter be used IN CONJUNCTION with particles? That causes annihilation>Energy release>explosion

Antimatter DOES create gamma rays. But only in Annihilation. So, that's just more incredibly unstable explosions.

cough ** cough ***

Matter-antimatter reactions -->  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positron_emission_tomography

antimatter rocketry--> http://www.engr.psu.edu/antimatter/papers/nasa_anti.pdf --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter_catalyzed_nuclear_pulse_propulsion

The thing many of you seem to be stuck on  --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter_weapon

better get your physics in check.

Edited by mokaiba

And black holes have nothing to do with Antimatter. They are force of Gravity and Density.

Read what I quoted, I'm simply pointing out a misconception, not discussing anti-matter. I'll be the first here to admit it (ironically, as a physics major) I do not know enough about anti-matter to begin discussing it. I believe almost everyone else should think about doing the same.

Maybe the Antimatter shield is an amount of antimatter released around you that if it's touched by anything it explodes back dealing a certain amount of damage. It's basically an offensive shield.

Let's use out imagination!

Imaginaaation.

Imaginaaaaaaaaaaaaation.

Imaginaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaation!

Or that matter injected into antimatter is nullified thereby causing 0 damage.

Anyone laughing at antimatter being used for anything other than explosions most likely are in jr/high school and never taken advanced courses in physics/science.

Edited by mokaiba

He said the size of a penny. Not mass.

A black hole the size of a penny would have an extreme amount of mass, enough to disrupt local gravity.

But it wouldn't be detrimental to the entire earth.

Read my post again. What do you mean by size? If not mass, a black hole cannot have the surface area of a penny, it would be too large.

Wouldn't vaporize anything if there was just a single positron used. You wouldn't even notice something happened.

The exotic particles would be the result of energy released from annihilation and not formed by antimatter. Actually, got me curious on how many of the photons would turn into other particles after an antimatter explosion and what those particles would be.

Simple, they'd turn back into their respective particles, assuming the photon produced lost no energy. That's the whole basis of pair production.

And exactly, what would the point be, in having a character capable of only affecting single antiparticles, besides the enemies saying "Oh, I felt a tiny explosion in me. Meh."

It's already touching the particles of air and dark matter. You can't shield yourself with antimatter. Antimatter is not energy or force field. That's why I'm so strongly against this concept. Because too many people will belive that "Yep, that's how Antimatter works. I'm so smart now." and I hate idiocy when it comes to something so simple like Antimatter.

Don't put the words I never said in my mouth. I'm against idiocy. If Council decides to create "Antimatter Frame" and if it won't have 4 explosion skills then it's not Antimatter Manipulation.

Please, try to understand - as a man of science... reading this... it's just $&*&*#(%&. I have an access to Council Skill Projects (All hail imageboards) and all what they propose is NOT antimatter. Again... they think that this word is "cool and edgy" but they have no idea how it works. I know exactly what to expect from them. Antimatter Shield... I can't stop laughing.

Ok man of science. Show me your sources

Firstly: Annihilation =/= explosion.

To find out, the researchers studied the flashes of light created when antiparticles annihilated matter particles in the walls of the trap after its magnets were turned off. The location and time of the flashes depend on the initial position and velocity of the antimatter atoms, and the path they take when they fall.

Everyday Antimatter
Antimatter - a mirror image of matter - is an idea so revolutionary that even its discoverer initially feared its consequences. It annihilates with ordinary matter, disappearing in a puff of energy - the ultimate scientific experiment.
This annihilation is a compelling scenario for science fiction. The first example was robots with brains having antimatter pathways.

Now antimatter is used every day in medicine for brain scans.
Transforming all its mass into pure energy, antimatter is the perfect fuel. Star Trek's faster-than-light science-fiction spaceships use antimatter power, but research projects have also investigated the use of antimatter fuel for real.

PET Scan 
(by Alison Wright)
Particle physicists regularly use collisions between electrons and their antiparticles, positrons, to investigate matter and fundamental forces at high energies.

When electron and positron meet, they annihilate, turning into energy which, at high energies, can rematerialise as new particles and antiparticles. This is what happens at machines such as the Large Electron Positron (LEP) collider at CERN.

At low energies, however, the electron-positron annihilations can be put to different uses, for example to reveal the workings of the brain in the technique called Positron Emission Tomography (PET).

In PET, the positrons come from the decay of radioactive nuclei incorporated in a special fluid injected into the patient. The positrons then annihilate with electrons in nearby atoms. As the electron and positron are almost at rest when they annihilate, there is not enough annihilation energy to make even the lightest particle and antiparticle (the electron and the positron), so the energy emerges as two gamma-rays which shoot off in opposite directions to conserve momentum.

Uses Medical
Matter-antimatter reactions have practical applications in medical imaging, such as positron emission tomography (PET). In positive beta decay, a nuclide loses surplus positive charge by emitting a positron (in the same event, a proton becomes a neutron, and a neutrino is also emitted). Nuclides with surplus positive charge are easily made in acyclotron and are widely generated for medical use. Antiprotons have also been shown within laboratory experiments to have the potential to treat certain cancers, in a similar method currently used for ion (proton) therapy.[43]

Fuel
The scarcity of antimatter means that it is not readily available for use as fuel. Any antimatter propulsion would require engine construction so as to prevent the annihilation of all the fuel simultaneously. Anti-matter could be used as a fuel for interplanetary travel or interstellar travel[44] as part of an antimatter catalyzed nuclear pulse propulsion or otherantimatter rocketry, such as the redshift rocket. Since the energy density of antimatter is higher than that of conventional fuels, an antimatter-fueled spacecraft would have a higher thrust-to-weight ratio than a conventional spacecraft.

In matter-antimatter collisions resulting in photon emission, the entire rest mass of the particles is converted to kinetic energy. The energy per unit mass (9×1016 J/kg) is about 10 orders of magnitude greater than typical chemical energies,[45] and about 3 orders of magnitude greater than the nuclear potential energy that can be liberated, today, usingnuclear fission (about 200 MeV per atomic nucleus that undergoes nuclear fission,[46] or 8×1013 J/kg), and about 2 orders of magnitude greater than the best possible results expected from fusion (about 6.3×1014 J/kg for the proton-proton chain). The reaction of 1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter would produce 1.8×1017 J (180 petajoules) of energy (by the mass-energy equivalence formula, E = mc2), or the rough equivalent of 43 megatons of TNT – slightly less than the yield of the 27,000 kg Tsar Bomb, the largestthermonuclear weapon ever detonated.

Antihydrogen atoms
Main article: Antihydrogen
In 1995, CERN announced that it had successfully brought into existence nine antihydrogen atoms by implementing the SLAC/Fermilab concept during the PS210 experiment. The experiment was performed using the Low Energy Antiproton Ring (LEAR), and was led by Walter Oelert and Mario Macri[citation needed]. Fermilab soon confirmed the CERN findings by producing approximately 100 antihydrogen atoms at their facilities. The antihydrogen atoms created during PS210 and subsequent experiments (at both CERN and Fermilab) were extremely energetic ("hot") and were not well suited to study. To resolve this hurdle, and to gain a better understanding of antihydrogen, two collaborations were formed in the late 1990s, namely, ATHENA and ATRAP. In 2005, ATHENA disbanded and some of the former members (along with others) formed the ALPHA Collaboration, which is also based at CERN. The primary goal of these collaborations is the creation of less energetic ("cold") antihydrogen, better suited to study[citation needed].
In 1999, CERN activated the Antiproton Decelerator, a device capable of decelerating antiprotons from 3.5 GeV to 5.3 MeV — still too "hot" to produce study-effective antihydrogen, but a huge leap forward. In late 2002 the ATHENA project announced that they had created the world's first "cold" antihydrogen.[24] The ATRAP project released similar results very shortly thereafter.[25] The antiprotons used in these experiments were cooled by decelerating them with the Antiproton Decelerator, passing them through a thin sheet of foil, and finally capturing them in a Penning-Malmberg trap.[26] The overall cooling process is workable, but highly inefficient; approximately 25 million antiprotons leave the Antiproton Decelerator and roughly 25,000 make it to the Penning-Malmberg trap, which is about 1⁄1000 or 0.1% of the original amount.

The antiprotons are still hot when initially trapped. To cool them further, they are mixed into an electron plasma. The electrons in this plasma cool via cyclotron radiation, and then sympathetically cool the antiprotons via Coulomb collisions. Eventually, the electrons are removed by the application of short-duration electric fields, leaving the antiprotons with energies less than 100 meV.[27] While the antiprotons are being cooled in the first trap, a small cloud of positrons is captured from radioactive sodium in a Surko-style positron accumulator.[28] This cloud is then recaptured in a second trap near the antiprotons. Manipulations of the trap electrodes then tip the antiprotons into the positron plasma, where some combine with antiprotons to form antihydrogen. This neutral antihydrogen is unaffected by the electric and magnetic fields used to trap the charged positrons and antiprotons, and within a few microseconds the antihydrogen hits the trap walls, where it annihilates. Some hundreds of millions of antihydrogen atoms have been made in this fashion.

Most of the sought-after high-precision tests of the properties of antihydrogen could only be performed if the antihydrogen were trapped, that is, held in place for a relatively long time. While antihydrogen atoms are electrically neutral, the spins of their component particles produce a magnetic moment. These magnetic moments can interact with an in&*$$geneous magnetic field; some of the antihydrogen atoms can be attracted to a magnetic minimum. Such a minimum can be created by a combination of mirror and multipole fields.[29] Antihydrogen can be trapped in such a magnetic minimum (minimum-B) trap; in November 2010, the ALPHA collaboration announced that they had so trapped 38 antihydrogen atoms for about a sixth of a second.[30][31] This was the first time that neutral antimatter had been trapped.

On 26 April 2011, ALPHA announced that they had trapped 309 antihydrogen atoms, some for as long as 1,000 seconds (about 17 minutes). This was longer than neutral antimatter had ever been trapped before.[32][33] ALPHA has used these trapped atoms to initiate research into the spectral properties of the antihydrogen.[34]
The biggest limiting factor in the large-scale production of antimatter is the availability of antiprotons. Recent data released by CERN states that, when fully operational, their facilities are capable of producing ten million antiprotons per minute.[35] Assuming a 100% conversion of antiprotons to antihydrogen, it would take 100 billion years to produce 1 gram or 1 mole of antihydrogen (approximately 6.02×1023 atoms of antihydrogen).

Natural production
Positrons are produced naturally in β+ decays of naturally occurring radioactive isotopes (for example, potassium-40) and in interactions of gamma quanta (emitted by radioactive nuclei) with matter. Antineutrinos are another kind of antiparticle created by natural radioactivity (β− decay). Many different kinds of antiparticles are also produced by (and contained in) cosmic rays. Recent (as of January 2011) research by the American Astronomical Society has discovered antimatter (positrons) originating above thunderstormclouds; positrons are produced in gamma-ray flashes created by electrons accelerated by strong electric fields in the clouds.[14] Antiprotons have also been found to exist in theVan Allen Belts around the Earth by the PAMELA module.[15][16]
Antiparticles are also produced in any environment with a sufficiently high temperature (mean particle energy greater than the pair production threshold). During the period ofbaryogenesis, when the universe was extremely hot and dense, matter and antimatter were continually produced and annihilated. The presence of remaining matter, and absence of detectable remaining antimatter,[17] also called baryon asymmetry, is attributed to CP-violation: a violation of the CP-symmetry relating matter to antimatter. The exact mechanism of this violation during baryogenesis remains a mystery.

Positrons can be produced by radioactive β+ decay, but this mechanism can occur both naturally and artificially.
Artificial production Positrons
Main article: Positron

Positrons were reported[18] in November 2008 to have been generated by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in larger numbers than by any previous synthetic process. Alaser drove electrons through a millimeter-radius gold target's nuclei, which caused the incoming electrons to emit energy quanta that decayed into both matter and antimatter. Positrons were detected at a higher rate and in greater density than ever previously detected in a laboratory. Previous experiments made smaller quantities of positrons using lasers and paper-thin targets; however, new simulations showed that short, ultra-intense lasers and millimeter-thick gold are a far more effective source.[19]

Edited by Judopunch

Ok man of science. Show me your sources

Firstly: Annihilation =/= explosion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57582365/crazy-world-antimatter-might-just-fall-up/

To find out, the researchers studied the flashes of light created when antiparticles annihilated matter particles in the walls of the trap after its magnets were turned off. The location and time of the flashes depend on the initial position and velocity of the antimatter atoms, and the path they take when they fall.

http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/livefromcern/antimatter/everyday/AM-everyday00.html

Everyday Antimatter

Antimatter - a mirror image of matter - is an idea so revolutionary that even its discoverer initially feared its consequences. It annihilates with ordinary matter, disappearing in a puff of energy - the ultimate scientific experiment.

This annihilation is a compelling scenario for science fiction. The first example was robots with brains having antimatter pathways.

Now antimatter is used every day in medicine for brain scans.

Transforming all its mass into pure energy, antimatter is the perfect fuel. Star Trek's faster-than-light science-fiction spaceships use antimatter power, but research projects have also investigated the use of antimatter fuel for real.

PET Scan 

(by Alison Wright)

Particle physicists regularly use collisions between electrons and their antiparticles, positrons, to investigate matter and fundamental forces at high energies.

When electron and positron meet, they annihilate, turning into energy which, at high energies, can rematerialise as new particles and antiparticles. This is what happens at machines such as the Large Electron Positron (LEP) collider at CERN.

At low energies, however, the electron-positron annihilations can be put to different uses, for example to reveal the workings of the brain in the technique called Positron Emission Tomography (PET).

In PET, the positrons come from the decay of radioactive nuclei incorporated in a special fluid injected into the patient. The positrons then annihilate with electrons in nearby atoms. As the electron and positron are almost at rest when they annihilate, there is not enough annihilation energy to make even the lightest particle and antiparticle (the electron and the positron), so the energy emerges as two gamma-rays which shoot off in opposite directions to conserve momentum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

Uses Medical

Matter-antimatter reactions have practical applications in medical imaging, such as positron emission tomography (PET). In positive beta decay, a nuclide loses surplus positive charge by emitting a positron (in the same event, a proton becomes a neutron, and a neutrino is also emitted). Nuclides with surplus positive charge are easily made in acyclotron and are widely generated for medical use. Antiprotons have also been shown within laboratory experiments to have the potential to treat certain cancers, in a similar method currently used for ion (proton) therapy.[43]

Fuel

The scarcity of antimatter means that it is not readily available for use as fuel. Any antimatter propulsion would require engine construction so as to prevent the annihilation of all the fuel simultaneously. Anti-matter could be used as a fuel for interplanetary travel or interstellar travel[44] as part of an antimatter catalyzed nuclear pulse propulsion or otherantimatter rocketry, such as the redshift rocket. Since the energy density of antimatter is higher than that of conventional fuels, an antimatter-fueled spacecraft would have a higher thrust-to-weight ratio than a conventional spacecraft.

In matter-antimatter collisions resulting in photon emission, the entire rest mass of the particles is converted to kinetic energy. The energy per unit mass (9×1016 J/kg) is about 10 orders of magnitude greater than typical chemical energies,[45] and about 3 orders of magnitude greater than the nuclear potential energy that can be liberated, today, usingnuclear fission (about 200 MeV per atomic nucleus that undergoes nuclear fission,[46] or 8×1013 J/kg), and about 2 orders of magnitude greater than the best possible results expected from fusion (about 6.3×1014 J/kg for the proton-proton chain). The reaction of kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter would produce 1.8×1017 J (180 petajoules) of energy (by the mass-energy equivalence formula, E = mc2), or the rough equivalent of 43 megatons of TNT – slightly less than the yield of the 27,000 kg Tsar Bomb, the largestthermonuclear weapon ever detonated.

Antihydrogen atoms
Main article: Antihydrogen

In 1995, CERN announced that it had successfully brought into existence nine antihydrogen atoms by implementing the SLAC/Fermilab concept during the PS210 experiment. The experiment was performed using the Low Energy Antiproton Ring (LEAR), and was led by Walter Oelert and Mario Macri[citation needed]. Fermilab soon confirmed the CERN findings by producing approximately 100 antihydrogen atoms at their facilities. The antihydrogen atoms created during PS210 and subsequent experiments (at both CERN and Fermilab) were extremely energetic ("hot") and were not well suited to study. To resolve this hurdle, and to gain a better understanding of antihydrogen, two collaborations were formed in the late 1990s, namely, ATHENA and ATRAP. In 2005, ATHENA disbanded and some of the former members (along with others) formed the ALPHA Collaboration, which is also based at CERN. The primary goal of these collaborations is the creation of less energetic ("cold") antihydrogen, better suited to study[citation needed].

In 1999, CERN activated the Antiproton Decelerator, a device capable of decelerating antiprotons from 3.5 GeV to 5.3 MeV — still too "hot" to produce study-effective antihydrogen, but a huge leap forward. In late 2002 the ATHENA project announced that they had created the world's first "cold" antihydrogen.[24] The ATRAP project released similar results very shortly thereafter.[25] The antiprotons used in these experiments were cooled by decelerating them with the Antiproton Decelerator, passing them through a thin sheet of foil, and finally capturing them in a Penning-Malmberg trap.[26] The overall cooling process is workable, but highly inefficient; approximately 25 million antiprotons leave the Antiproton Decelerator and roughly 25,000 make it to the Penning-Malmberg trap, which is about 11000 or 0.1% of the original amount.

The antiprotons are still hot when initially trapped. To cool them further, they are mixed into an electron plasma. The electrons in this plasma cool via cyclotron radiation, and then sympathetically cool the antiprotons via Coulomb collisions. Eventually, the electrons are removed by the application of short-duration electric fields, leaving the antiprotons with energies less than 100 meV.[27] While the antiprotons are being cooled in the first trap, a small cloud of positrons is captured from radioactive sodium in a Surko-style positron accumulator.[28] This cloud is then recaptured in a second trap near the antiprotons. Manipulations of the trap electrodes then tip the antiprotons into the positron plasma, where some combine with antiprotons to form antihydrogen. This neutral antihydrogen is unaffected by the electric and magnetic fields used to trap the charged positrons and antiprotons, and within a few microseconds the antihydrogen hits the trap walls, where it annihilates. Some hundreds of millions of antihydrogen atoms have been made in this fashion.

Most of the sought-after high-precision tests of the properties of antihydrogen could only be performed if the antihydrogen were trapped, that is, held in place for a relatively long time. While antihydrogen atoms are electrically neutral, the spins of their component particles produce a magnetic moment. These magnetic moments can interact with an in&*$$geneous magnetic field; some of the antihydrogen atoms can be attracted to a magnetic minimum. Such a minimum can be created by a combination of mirror and multipole fields.[29] Antihydrogen can be trapped in such a magnetic minimum (minimum-B) trap; in November 2010, the ALPHA collaboration announced that they had so trapped 38 antihydrogen atoms for about a sixth of a second.[30][31] This was the first time that neutral antimatter had been trapped.

On 26 April 2011, ALPHA announced that they had trapped 309 antihydrogen atoms, some for as long as 1,000 seconds (about 17 minutes). This was longer than neutral antimatter had ever been trapped before.[32][33] ALPHA has used these trapped atoms to initiate research into the spectral properties of the antihydrogen.[34]

The biggest limiting factor in the large-scale production of antimatter is the availability of antiprotons. Recent data released by CERN states that, when fully operational, their facilities are capable of producing ten million antiprotons per minute.[35] Assuming a 100% conversion of antiprotons to antihydrogen, it would take 100 billion years to produce 1 gram or 1 mole of antihydrogen (approximately 6.02×1023 atoms of antihydrogen).

Natural production

Positrons are produced naturally in β+ decays of naturally occurring radioactive isotopes (for example, potassium-40) and in interactions of gamma quanta (emitted by radioactive nuclei) with matter. Antineutrinos are another kind of antiparticle created by natural radioactivity (β decay). Many different kinds of antiparticles are also produced by (and contained in) cosmic rays. Recent (as of January 2011) research by the American Astronomical Society has discovered antimatter (positrons) originating above thunderstormclouds; positrons are produced in gamma-ray flashes created by electrons accelerated by strong electric fields in the clouds.[14] Antiprotons have also been found to exist in theVan Allen Belts around the Earth by the PAMELA module.[15][16]

Antiparticles are also produced in any environment with a sufficiently high temperature (mean particle energy greater than the pair production threshold). During the period ofbaryogenesis, when the universe was extremely hot and dense, matter and antimatter were continually produced and annihilated. The presence of remaining matter, and absence of detectable remaining antimatter,[17] also called baryon asymmetry, is attributed to CP-violation: a violation of the CP-symmetry relating matter to antimatter. The exact mechanism of this violation during baryogenesis remains a mystery.

Positrons can be produced by radioactive β+ decay, but this mechanism can occur both naturally and artificially.

Artificial production Positrons
Main article: Positron

Positrons were reported[18] in November 2008 to have been generated by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in larger numbers than by any previous synthetic process. Alaser drove electrons through a millimeter-radius gold target's nuclei, which caused the incoming electrons to emit energy quanta that decayed into both matter and antimatter. Positrons were detected at a higher rate and in greater density than ever previously detected in a laboratory. Previous experiments made smaller quantities of positrons using lasers and paper-thin targets; however, new simulations showed that short, ultra-intense lasers and millimeter-thick gold are a far more effective source.[19]

why was most of the text in here black? meanie, i had to select it so i could read.

Seriously?

Yes. Let's Scan Grineers brains till they die.

You know what i mean.

It's not really going to work in a combat environment.

Anti-matter propulsion would do very little anyway, all that is is a new slash dash/rhino charge etc.

You know what i mean.

It's not really going to work in a combat environment.

Anti-matter propulsion would do very little anyway, all that is is a new slash dash/rhino charge etc.

I have decided that this thread is hopeless and I will no longer try to explain them that this is not Antimatter Frame at all.

At least "Hadron" is a really cool name, and if it won't be all dark and edgy then we can at least have our new Eye-Candy Frame.

Seeya in the "Antimatter Shield Nonsense" Thread!

Edited by Sideway