Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Star Wars Ep. 6 V Archwing - Stylistic Influence

Dumfing

Some things I noticed after watching ep 6.

compare this (Deathstar 2 interior pipes):

kaqkWvm.jpg

to this (Archwing screenshot creds to Larsurus)  :

CGfDle9.jpg

But wait!

compare the destruction of the Deathstar 2 to the Formorian cruiser event thing.

Stage 1:

destroy shields:

Star Wars:

hWU3g1B.jpg

Warframe:

cpD50Et.jpg

Stage 2:

deal as much damage as possible to core

Star Wars:

bW3vjFk.jpg

Warframe (creds to beastlyhusla):

5lq2ZYw.jpg

Stage 3:

escape:

Star Wars:

tA0AA7Q.jpg

Warframe:

t8k7Nrn.jpg

So yeah, Just one of those "woah..." moments

Some things I noticed after watching ep 6.

compare this (Deathstar 2 interior pipes):

kaqkWvm.jpg

to this (Archwing screenshot creds to Larsurus)  :

CGfDle9.jpg

But wait!

compare the destruction of the Deathstar 2 to the Formorian cruiser event thing.

Stage 1:

destroy shields:

Star Wars:

hWU3g1B.jpg

Warframe:

cpD50Et.jpg

Stage 2:

deal as much damage as possible to core

Star Wars:

bW3vjFk.jpg

Warframe (creds to beastlyhusla):

5lq2ZYw.jpg

Stage 3:

escape:

Star Wars:

tA0AA7Q.jpg

Warframe:

t8k7Nrn.jpg

So yeah, Just one of those "woah..." moments

Well that's a pretty basic concept. All space ships are designed with lightweight and ease of maintenance in mind so they are always going to have that kind of layout. And the rest of the sci fi concepts used aren't exclusive to star wars nor were they created by star wars.

The archwing thing, when I watched the SW recently, make me almost take my keyboard to control the archwing through the deathstar.

I can't help but think that name would be so much better if your profile pic was a Trinity...

Well that's a pretty basic concept. All space ships are designed with lightweight and ease of maintenance in mind so they are always going to have that kind of layout. And the rest of the sci fi concepts used aren't exclusive to star wars nor were they created by star wars.

I can't help but think that name would be so much better if your profile pic was a Trinity...

Why would a spaceship / DEATH STAR need to be lightweight?

Why would a spaceship / DEATH STAR need to be lightweight?

Because a spaceship has to leave orbit at some point. Size to mass, the deathstar would be lightweight because it would have had to been brought up from some planet where it was mined and manufactured.

Because a spaceship has to leave orbit at some point. Size to mass, the deathstar would be lightweight because it would have had to been brought up from some planet where it was mined and manufactured.

But it was assembled in many small parts

As can be seen, it's being constructed in space, so there's no need for it to be light-weight.

death-star-2.jpg

Not necessarily. It could have very easily been constructed in space; capture a bunch of asteroids, mine the crap out of them with robots, smelt the metal and beams for the structure...

Not only that, but keep in mind that in Star Wars, even the more basic ships have gravity generators even if they don't have hyperdrives. 

Also, keep in mind the third movie (actual third movie, not "episode 3"), where there was a second Death Star that was only partially built; it wasn't built on the ground and launched into space, it was actively being built in zero gravity (and not necessarily the orbit of a planet either).

In Star Wars, almost all freighters, cruisers and capital ships are built in space; sure, the first generation star destroyers were built on the ground and sent up to space, but later generation Star Destroyers are almost all exclusively made in space.

Not necessarily. It could have very easily been constructed in space; capture a bunch of asteroids, mine the crap out of them with robots, smelt the metal and beams for the structure...

Not only that, but keep in mind that in Star Wars, even the more basic ships have gravity generators even if they don't have hyperdrives. 

Also, keep in mind the third movie, where there was a second Death Star that was only partially built; it wasn't built on the ground and launched into space, it was actively being built in zero gravity (and not necessarily the orbit of a planet either).

The Death Star is a ship after all. It's got hyperdrives. It could decide to drop out in empty space outside of solar systems to do maintenance if it wanted to.

I highly doubt the deathstar was constructed by small pieces, take the scale and individual panels would be roughly 30-300 metres in length.

And even if you were to mine an asteroid for metals, those metals have to be forged into parts at a manufacturing plant at some point. And I'm pretty sure there's no manufacturing plant inside the deathstar.

Look at the Ceres shipyards in warframe, they aren't really realistic when it comes to actual manufacturing but you get the idea. These parts had to be manufactured and that means leaving orbit.

Manufacturing in space is highly impractical for a number of reasons (radiation affecting compositions, far more difficult to provide a stable source of energy, problems with gravitation (which assuming you could theoretically provide artificial gravity the energy cost of both the artificial gravity and manufacturing requirements would be absolutely ludicrously high). Even sci fi doesn't have plot armour thick enough to make this theory work.