Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ether Swords: What's The Point?

MIRROR_ell

Other than 3k mastery points, why would anyone pick this over the faster, multi-target Dual Ethers? Not only that, what's the point of putting a weapon in-game that's supposedly a counterpart of another weapon only to make it inferior in EVERY SINGLE WAY? 

I see no point in this weapon other than cosmetics or role-playing and this should be one of the weapons in the "soon-to-buff" weapons list of DE. Also, please consider making proper counterpoints with similar weapons in the future; as of now, some of the new weapons are amazingly subpar compared to older ones.

/butthurtrantover

Style?!

I mean. If I like the single bladed version more, why should I be forced to use the dual version. Same could be asked about every last car that drives on earth. Why dont we have all the same one with the same color? Because we are individuals. We all have things we like/dislike. And if people like one handed swords, let them have it.....

its easily one of the best looking melee weapons in the game. And with the current animations that exist with dual weapons, i would rather use just a single sword itself, thought i do agree that it badly needs a buff

Other than style...Is there a reason to use a longsword at all ? They generally can't slash through multiple targets and can get staggered and average speed. Well you know the drift.

At least for dual wielding, you are usually quite fast and can hit multiple targets although getting staggered is still a bummer, but it is not as bad due to AOE attacks. After all, more dead enemies faster means less chance to get staggered.

Edited by fatpig84

Style?!

I mean. If I like the single bladed version more, why should I be forced to use the dual version. Same could be asked about every last car that drives on earth. Why dont we have all the same one with the same color? Because we are individuals. We all have things we like/dislike. And if people like one handed swords, let them have it.....

its easily one of the best looking melee weapons in the game. And with the current animations that exist with dual weapons, i would rather use just a single sword itself, thought i do agree that it badly needs a buff

Exactly my point; role-playing over actual use. This weapon needs a positive counterpoint against its Ether family members so non-role-playing members of the community would have an actual reason to use it.

Other than style...Is there a reason to use a longsword at all ? They generally can't slash through multiple targets and can get staggered and average speed. Well you know the drift.

At least for dual wielding, you are usually quite fast and can hit multiple targets although getting staggered is still a bummer, but it is not as bad due to AOE attacks. After all, more dead enemies faster means less chance to get staggered.

With the current weapon mechanics? None, other than mastery points. DE should consider giving single swords, single daggers, and fists a complete overhaul OR new mechanics that only these weapons have to give them an edge against the dual-wield or heavies.

Edited by MIRRORenn

Exactly my point; role-playing over actual use. This weapon needs a positive counterpoint against its Ether family members so non-role-playing members of the community would have an actual reason to use it.

That issue existed for a long time already :D

But I support this. One handed blades definitly need some sort of advantage, dual swords dont have.

I dunno, maybe stagger immunity and a straight charge up and attack speed increase ?

You might not be able to hit multiple guys but by the Tenno, you will hit so quickly that you effectively stun lock your target into a bind and his team mates can't do sh1t on you.

Longswords already suffer from poor DPS, as they lack AOE damage (dual ether hits 3 guys = 90 damage in total) boosting their ability to lock down someone is only the real way to go.

You might lack AOE but you gain stagger immunity like heavy weapons and speed of dual wielders. 

This let's you focus down on raining a whole wall of hurt.

Edited by fatpig84

I dunno, maybe stagger immunity and a straight charge up and attack speed increase ?

You might not be able to hit multiple guys but by the Tenno, you will hit so quickly that you effectively stun lock your target into a bind and his team mates can't do sh1t on you.

Longswords already suffer from poor DPS, as they lack AOE damage (dual ether hits 3 guys = 90 damage in total) boosting their ability to lock down someone is only the real way to go.

You might lack AOE but you gain stagger immunity like heavy weapons and speed of dual wielders. 

This let's you focus down on raining a whole wall of hurt.

I've already suggested some of these things, at least in the terms of the Ankyros: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/56716-suggestion-improving-the-ankyros/#entry586794

While I don't think the Ankyros needs all of that buffing, I do agree that some sort of weapon change is needed.

For now, I'm thinking that these weapons should have --

Single daggers - 2 attacks per button push, base charge time of 0.8 secs, increased movement speed when equipped with single daggers(5-20% depending on the weapon) 

Fists - innate stagger on hit regardless of opponent, stagger immunity during normal attacks, decent crit rate(20-30% crit rate, 200% multiplier, depending on the weapon)

Single swords - At least 1.3 RoF for all single swords, hits 2 targets at most, highest crit rate and crit damage(30-40% crit rate, 200-250% multiplier, depending on the weapon)

I hope the devs would take these suggestions into consideration to improve these melee weapons.

EDIT:

Upon Arch-Eternal's suggestion, switched movement speed buff from SS to SD, and crit buff from SD to SS.

Edited by MIRRORenn

Just wondering... as far as twin swords are concerned, how often does being able to hit multiple targets come into play, and how many targets do you end up hitting? How often do you get 3 enemies to perfectly line up for a hit?

Infested missions mostly but Grineer and Corpus also tend to bunch together at certain times. Hitting multiple targets for damage is part of the issue; the other part is that you can stagger those other enemies to prevent them from hitting you and single target weapons cannot do that which ends up making them a bit "suicidal."

Infested missions mostly but Grineer and Corpus also tend to bunch together at certain times. Hitting multiple targets for damage is part of the issue; the other part is that you can stagger those other enemies to prevent them from hitting you and single target weapons cannot do that which ends up making them a bit "suicidal."

Yes single sword melee only becomes viable once you taken down all the riff raff around the main target.

Tell that against the infested.

How about a  "cut through shield" ability, direct damage to heath?

Since it's look like an energized material, why not give it a anti-matter property?

It can provide a awesome 1 hit K.O but one target only. It not gonna be effective again horde of Charger cuz that was DE job. 

but then  ... "We gonna kill some Corpus", "let me grab my Ether!"

Or just add some special benefit when blocking for all long swords.

How about a  "cut through shield" ability, direct damage to heath?

Since it's look like an energized material, why not give it a anti-matter property?

It can provide a awesome 1 hit K.O but one target only. It not gonna be effective again horde of Charger cuz that was DE job. 

but then  ... "We gonna kill some Corpus", "let me grab my Ether!"

Or just add some special benefit when blocking for all long swords.

Blocking is hardly used; it would benefit single swords more if they provided a bonus to movement speed when equipped as a movement speed buff would add a defensive capability to single swords that affects both melee and ranged damage, and not only the latter. While this is exploitable to make all frames faster, it's a good way to balance the single target penalty of single swords because movement speed buff increases the survivability of most single sword users especially the slower frames as they cannot melee effectively due to being too slow to either catch up with their prey or escape a mob in melee. Finally, this would make the faster frames able to do their job as assassins more effectively without being too dependent on their skills for mobility.

Edited by MIRRORenn

Crit/crit dmg for longswords would be nice, considering you swing using both hands, therefore having a stronger attack(i.e. a "critical hit")?

Point taken. Will be editing the post regarding buffs in a few. I would probably make another topic that goes straight about buffing these weapons types once I get back home from enrollment as the current title/name of this thread is misleading to the point most of us are trying to get across.

EDIT:

Created the thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/59654-suggestion-improving-single-daggers-single-swords-fists/

Support the thread if you want/can so that the devs might consider these changes.

Edited by MIRRORenn