Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nvidia Graphics Driver Crashing - Only On This Game

michaelrunyon

First, I will provide as detailed a description as possible of my hardware  and software configuration.

Hardware

-Asus Crosshair FX990 Formula Z motherboard

- AMD FX-9370 8 core CPU

- ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 AMP! Extreme ZT-90203-10P G-SYNC Support 4GB 256-Bit DDR5 HDCP Ready Video Card

- 16 gig Corsair Vengence DDR RAM

- EVGA 750 W Modular PSU

- Corsair H50 CPU cooler

- 2 x 120 gig SSD (for the os and other core applications)

- 2 x 1 TB 7200 RPM 6 Gb/s Western Digital platter drives

- Both drive sets are configured in RAID 0 arrays using the mobo's hardware RAID

Software

- Clean install of Windows 10 (with in the last week)

- Nvidia GeForce Experience for optimizing graphics settings and maintaining drivers

- Most recent stable Nvidia driver release

- Warframe stand alone installation (I had it installed through Steam originally)

Here is what I am experiencing when playing the game. After an indeterminate amount of time, my graphics driver will crash and Windows will display a message indicating as much, and stating that the driver has recovered. However, the game window is then transparent. I can see my desktop, but tactile inputs from my peripherals are still recognized by the game and the audio will still continue to play. In fact, I even had a friend coach me to an extraction point this way so I wouldn't lose what I collected during that mission, so the game is still clearly functioning, just without display. This can happen after several hours of play or after just a few minutes, but generally once it starts, it persists until I finally give up for the day. On a more rare basis, the crash of the drivers will cause my PC to freeze completely, forcing me to reboot the machine.

Now, here is what I have tried to fix this issue, which has been occurring since I first tried to play the game about a week before the Thanksgiving holiday.

- Reinstalled OS

- Reinstalled Nvidia drivers cleanly

- adjusted TDR time with a registry entry (definitely don't recommend this, as it will cause BSOD's)

- Scaled graphics back to near minimum settings

- Ran sfc /scannow on SSD (it found nothing at all)

- Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic (also found nothing)

- Ran Windows Check disk on my drives (nothing found)

- Stress tested GPU and CPU while watching temps to make sure nothing was over heating

- Made sure windows power management and Nvidia power management were both set to prefer performance

- Used a PSU calculator (several actually) to make sure my configuration does not exceed the power output of my PSU

- Verified and optimized the game install using the stand alone launcher

- Read through the posts here to make sure none of my installed programs were on the conflict list (none are, nor is there much installed on the box at this point)

All windows updates are complete. Obviously Malware and Viruses are not a concern here since I cleanly reinstalled the OS. This condition never occurs when playing other games. I can run an 8 hour session of Fallout 4 on Ultra settings and never see a crash. It happens only in this game.

I hope these bug reports actually mean something to the developers, because I believe you have a fantastic product here, with limitless potential. I would really like to be able to play it, but these frequent crashes have had me throwing my hands up and walking away more often than not lately.

If there is any additional information I can provide, do not hesitate to contact me. If the community has any suggestions I haven't already tried, please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Sincerely,

Michael

Well, I have opened a ticket on this matter with support. Hopefully they can help. If I am able to reach a successful conclusion, I will be sure to post the results here, in case they can help someone else with their crashing problems. It actually seemed to get worse with the last patch!

Hi Michael, i'm having same issue too. I was opened ticket for this too, we tried lot of things (most of it same you already tried) But unfortunately nothing changed for me too. Here is what i realize, this crashes started after U18 for me and i don't believe Windows 10 causing this beacuse situtaion was the same for me on Win 7. 

i can only one time changed (or affected) something with the crashes and that is happened when i changed Windows Hard Drive Sleep time to like 360 min. Before that game was crashing like in every other 20-30 min. But after change HD Sleep time it was crashing in like 2 hours, it's weird but now crashes more often. idk. we couldn't fixed with DE really, because nothing found particularly causing the crashes, but still closed ticket as a solved. 

My rig is similar to your's btw, i hope we find a way to fix this... and yes with the 18.3 crashes going crazy !!!

Here is what i realize, this crashes started after U18 for me and i don't believe Windows 10 causing this beacuse situtaion was the same for me on Win 7. 

i agree- but i started off with Windows 8.1 64bit OEM on my rig, and i had these crashes even back then.

Only happens on warframe- also seems to happen in-warframe completely random.

the weirdest part is my laptop never had a problem-only my pc.

this bug has been going on forever with no response- only now more and more people are effected.

my rig-

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/RzwV3C

I have the problem as well, however it only happens in high volume of enemies in the area. Like ODD near round 20 and the like. It doesn't always crash, most of the time I get some serious slowdown from the client. 

An odd occurance, everytime it crashes so does the flashplayer running in firefox and chrome.

Thank you to those who have viewed and/or replied to my post. I am presently working with DE in an attempt to find a resolution for this issue. We are running a battery of stress tests on my hardware and they are collecting logs from these tests. Hopefully this will lead to a fix. As promised, I will be certain to post my resolution here, if we are able to reach one. 

Same thing, I've been having GPU / GPU Driver crashes, exclusively in Warframe, ever since I've started playing it (at least 1.5 year ago). Kept crashing over multiple OS installs and at least a dozen different video drivers.

Specs: Z87, i5 4670K, 24GB RAM and a GTX670 (whole rig is custom water-cooled, so definitely not a temperature/stress related issue). Currently on 'ye olde 353.62 drivers on Windows 10.

I just crashed twice in a row, as a host, in Corpus Cerberus Interception. That said, the last time it crashed has been a while. Generally crashes happen a day~week apart (if I only play a few matches a day).

Edited by ThisIsMyName

Well, unfortunately the support team has thrown in the towel on this one. After working with them to run waves of stress tests and collect data from locations like Event Viewer, HWMonitor, and the EE.log file, they have no explanation for why the driver continues to crash. None of the tests shows any issues with my hardware. Temps and voltages all stay within specification (which I had already tested before I even opened the ticket with them). Stress tests of the memory, CPU, and GPU all pass without issue (and were also tested before the ticket was open). Their final suggestion was to reinstalled the OS, but that was already done too. 

I encouraged the technician I was working with to pass my case along to the development team, and also to advise them to have a look at the forums here. These complaints of Nvidia driver crashes date back to the beginning of the game, and yet none of the recent patch notes mention any attempt to address them at all. They really need to pay some heed to player input on this matter, as there are simply too many cases to dismiss it as all bad hardware or software installations. Hopefully they will take this advice to heart and dig a little deeper. This game has immense potential but it will never be a truly great game if they fail to address such obvious and serious concerns within the community. 

Thank you again to all those that took the time to read my post and reply. I would encourage each of you having this issue to open tickets with their support department, as I did. Doing so may further the cause in getting the development team to investigate this matter further. 

Good luck and good gaming to all!

-snip-

You have collected admirable amount of data regarding this issue.

Why not submit a bug report directly to nVidia?

support|nvidia:

Customer Feedback

If you believe that your issue is due to a problem with the driver and you are able to reliably reproduce the issue, CLICK HERE to submit a bug report. Your feedback will help us ensure that we resolve as many issues as possible with our future driver releases. Please note that this link is for bug submissions only and you will not get a response unless we need additional information. If you looking for technical support to resolve an issue, please CLICK HERE.

Edit: to courage you: when nVidia introduces new Geforce GameReady driver or a GeForce Experience they announce it in their forums. This is the place where people write their feedback and many issues are resolved by nVidia. The latest issue I had with Warframe was GeForce Share overlay causing a crash to Warframe and it was fixed by nVidia in couple weeks with a hotfix. Other problem was with GameReady drivers which caused BSOD's when launching Warframe. It also was fixed with unofficial hotfix and later with a new WHQL driver. For different unofficial hotfixes, they release them in their customer service site and they provide a link in forums.

For example this: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3832/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-361.60

Edited by carnaga

I am also having this problem. Game freezes for a sec, goes black, and then I see my desktop, but the game is still running with sound and working controls. The video is what needs to come back after the graphics crash. The game shouldn't crash at all, but if only the video could come back, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I am on Windows 10 Pro with a GTX 980.

The only similar thing to this I have had is when I have put too much stress on the GPU when using the 3D program Blender. The GPU crashes and when it is restored, Blender looks all messed up and needs to be reopened. But when Blender crashes the GPU, my computer acknowledges it with a popup. With Warframe I get nothing. 

Playing Warframe in windowed mode might help, but I would probably move on to another game before needing to play Warframe in windowed mode.

@Tiko56 

Look at the windows events you just don't see it because the screen is black for too long. 

This would usually sound like an unstable GPU but I am having the same issue with warframe and I ran Unigine Valley, Furmark, 3D Mark etc for hours... not a single crash. 

Windowed mode did not help in my case. 

Edit:

I actually upgraded my 5850 to a 7950 I had lying around. But just to test the newest Nvidia Driver (because while just a bugfix for a different issue, miracles tend to happen! ) I tested with my 980Ti again...This time the launcher told me my graphics card was not supported... restarted the launcher and everything seemed to be working again... 

Wanted to get the Launcher log but in my hurry I accidentally started the Launcher again so when I looked at the logs the new instance had ofc already overwritten the one with the error... oh well.  

I highly doubt that this has anything to do with the other issue but more info is never bad... 

Edited by BlizzardMamba