Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Old Potatoes: A Suggestion For Going Green.

Eulo

Greetings fellow Eco-nauts and curious minds alike! I post this today to present an idea I had for recycling those old catalyst/reactor 'potatoes'.

If you're like me, you might have spent the starter platinum on a weapon potato or two. One of the items I chose to amp up was my Lex (naturally, a big gun needs to be BOOM-ier). Now, with the release of the Kunai and other great weapons recently, I find myself looking ominously at my Lex, sitting there on the shelf collecting dust; poor ol' thing just doesn't keep up like it used to. As I stare at my Lex I can't help but wish I had to option to collect my potato from it so I can sell it guilt-free. I've had this same quandry with my old Mag frame, and now my Volt frame (both potatoed).

I thought to myself "What would be a fair way to get back potatoes from old weapons/frames, while still keeping them rare and sought-after?". I submit this to you Devs (and the community of course): If a player chooses to trash a potatoed item, said potato should be returned to the players inventory (either via re-constructing it, or just straight up giving it back). The consequence of course would be the loss of the weapon, with no credit reimbursement.

If that doesn't suit your fancy, perhaps a new researchable or farmable (or both. Maybe only obtainable in Void missions) item blueprint that would destroy the weapon, recovering the potato inside.

In order to keep everyone from just collecting an infinite amount of potatoes and diminishing their value, there should be a limit to the amount of times a potato can be removed from a weapon/frame. I think once is a fair number, meaning that if I were to obtain this magical blueprint item and use it on my Lex, the gun would...well vaporize, cause thats cooler than being sold, and I would be left with a potato to place in a new weapon. If however, I would like to remove that same potato from this new weapon, it would not be possible to save it from certain vaporization.

Regards,

Eulo

Edited by Eulo

It would have to be hard to get. Just no credit reimbursement isn't that much of a penalty. I can make the 5k credits in one alert, or a run of Hades with some minor luck on credit drops.

I know that credits are basically useless in quantities lower than 15K ~ish, but that's really the only thing you get back from selling a weapon, so it's really the only penalty to be had. I also agree they should be hard to get, maybe something like only on Void Tower 3 (3+ if/when they add more). I also just thought of another type of 'penalty' to add, when re-constructing the potato it should cost at least double the materials, credits, and time to re-construct it.

If there was maybe a week of wait time, or somewhere around there, it MIGHT be balanced imo. (i.e. you have to pay for a BP, build that item, then use it to unbuild the frame/weapon)

Agreed. There has to be something in place to keep things balanced.

Another option, is a BP to 'extract potato'

Buy the BP from the market for 50-100k credits

input the item you wish to pull the potato out of, add a number of rare mats (rubedo, cells, etc), pay another 20k credits to get the foundry to do the work it exists for, and a few days later your item is gone, but you have the potato back. It imposes a limit of how many times you can do it through the time it takes the BP to build. If that isn't enough the more times you extract the same potato from various gear the cost and time to extract it increases. 

It would have to be hard to get. Just no credit reimbursement isn't that much of a penalty. I can make the 5k credits in one alert, or a run of Hades with some minor luck on credit drops.

Thats because credits dont mean much. Join my petition to rename them to Glue :p

Ive thought about this as well, wishing I could move catalysts and reactors around. Might be fair if you had to destroy whatever it was attached to. Really wouldnt be much of a problem though if our inventory space wasnt so severely limited.