The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would This Controller Work For Warframe, And Any Other Pc Game?

AshGaming4873

10 answers to this question

Why would you like to use a controller on PC, I get if you are on console but PC, I don't even know if it has a  gamepad  input in the options   Well it has a a controller option. Just for the  lulz I will  pull out my gamepad and see how it works :)) . 

Edited by syrusstk

Well I test it and  the game  does not recognize my gamepad, did a google search, it seems warframe is not really working with generic gamepads

Hello, I just started playing warframe and I've had a really great time so far. I do indeed prefer a mouse and keyboard with PC games in most cases, however after a few play throughs I find that warframe may be one of the few exceptions. So I plop in my generic gigaware controller and attempt to get it to work through the games settings. Sure enough it has a gamepad option but apparently the game does not support this type of controller. 

Some random answer

You've got three options here.

First, get an Xinput controller (Wireless Xbox 360 controller with Microsoft branded PC receiver; Non-wireless Xbox 360 controller; Any non-wireless controller marked for Xbox 360 compatibility or otherwise marked as Xinput; most but not all current Logitech gamepads).

Second, get an Xinput wrapper/emulator for a DirectInput controller and try to make it work. Good luck...

Third, take PIKACHU's advice as a last resort.

Most importantly, know that the look acceleration is very iffy for a gamepad. This is one of those times I'm actually going to have to rule in favor of using a mouse, simply because Warframe has historically had poor gamepad implementation (I'd likely be using a gamepad myself otherwise).

Edited by syrusstk

I know for a fact that the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers work without any extra software on Warframe (I use the Xbox One controller myself) but in most cases a Playstation controller (or any other non-microsoft controller) needs some kind of software to run. If you're lucky Warframe might detect it as a controller but what will work 100% is something like motioninjoy to make the game think your controller is a keyboard. The only difference will be the options menu, you will need to change keyboard controls instead of controller ones.

Also a long time ago when the Xbox One was just released, my 360 controller broke. At first I though it was the game not responding to certain buttons but in the end it was the controller. Though I asked support if they knew something and they didn't. They only replied that the 360 controller was the only one supported at that time.

The One controller works thanks to the drivers from microsoft (it basically translates straight to 360 controlls) which is why that works too. Any other controller will therefore most likely not work unless they run the same drivers as the sbox controllers.

I hope this is enough info for you to come to a buy conclusion.

so would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Wired-Xbox360-Shape-Gaming-Controller-for-Microsoft-Windows-PC-Black-CA-/201470257626?hash=item2ee89029da:g:mFIAAOSwFnFWAKTV

tthanks.

also, when i open warframe and controller stuff, it shows what button will do what. Cant i just plug it in and select what button i want to do what, and make it work?

Edited by AshGaming4873

so would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Wired-Xbox360-Shape-Gaming-Controller-for-Microsoft-Windows-PC-Black-CA-/201470257626?hash=item2ee89029da:g:mFIAAOSwFnFWAKTV

tthanks.

also, when i open warframe and controller stuff, it shows what button will do what. Cant i just plug it in and select what button i want to do what, and make it work?

It's risky but it might work. The reason for it being risky is that it says in the tile "Xbox 360 SHAPE" which could mean it's not actually a 360 controller. It's not about the controller itself to be honest, just the software/drivers it has. Microsoft has made these specific drivers for their 360 (and One) controllers that every windows PC will automatically download through windows update. This makes it easy for developers to implement a consistent controller support in games. This way the devs can guarantee a controller works like it should as long as it uses the same software/drivers. Sadly this controller will most likely not since I'm pretty sure Microsoft wouldn't allow that.

Then again there's a few programs which convert keyboard (and other controllers) to 360 input. I think it was called Xinput or something.

For your second question here: It will not respond to the control bindings because the game only looks for the Xbox controller's input (or Xinput). I've tried these kinds of things before by emulating my keyboard and mouse (was trying to run a game which was controller only) but eventually I found it way easier to just buy a 360 controller with a cable.

If you want to have a little more freedom I recommend an Xbox One controller. You can then buy a microUSB to USB cable of any length to connect it to your PC (or Xbox). Alternatively Microsoft sells wireless adapters which you can plug into your pc and use the controllers wireless. (These exist for 360 too). I don't have any experience with the wireless adapters so don't ask me too much about those.

I'd say the safest way to go (without extra software) is the Xbox one controller since you can replace cables if they break. If money is an issue you can probably get a used controller somewhere for a lower price.

Don't forget that running a different controller with software is always an option, it is just slightly more work to get it working for different games.